Using Slingbox with Sky+HD

BigBadJimmyBigBadJimmy Posts: 530
Forum Member
✭✭
I've read many threads related to this but haven't come across a definite answer, so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I've just bought a Slingbox Solo (SD version) to be used with an Amstrad DRX890 Sky+HD box. The standard way of connecting the two is by using composite video. Is there any way of getting a better picture from it though?

On the Sky box the HDMI out is already split two ways, and I don't want the extra expense and possible reliability issues of splitting it a third time and converting the signal to component.

The Slingbox has S-video In; is there any good way of using the RGB signal from the Sky box's scart socket to feed this S-video input, or the component input? Am I likely to see any improvement in picture quality if so?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it Slingbox COMPONENT, or COMPOSITE, as they are 2 different things, and you start with one, then start talking about the other.

As it is an SD slingbox, i presume it is composite, so the best signal would probably be from the SCART socket anyway.
  • BigBadJimmyBigBadJimmy Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has both sets of inputs, composite and component, as well as s-video. It doesn't have a scart input. Hope that clears it up.
  • timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually find the composite video feed gives the best picture over the internet. It's not quite as sharp as component or HDMI so it seems like it encodes easier for slower connections and the result is it looks less blocky.I realise this might not be to everyone's preference but I prefer a softer image over a heavily compressed blocky one.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBadJimmy didn't mention "Internet" but, if that's the plan, make sure you have at least 1Mbps upload speed (not download) from the Slingbox end, otherwise forget it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    If it has component input, you could set it up like I have on slingbox pro. Sky hd to a neet hdmi splitter, one input for tv, the other goes a hd anywhere box, which converts hdmi to component and sound. With it I can stream hd over the Internet from home :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timo_w2s wrote: »
    I actually find the composite video feed gives the best picture over the internet. It's not quite as sharp as component or HDMI so it seems like it encodes easier for slower connections and the result is it looks less blocky.I realise this might not be to everyone's preference but I prefer a softer image over a heavily compressed blocky one.

Interesting theory. I'll give it a go with composite as it's the easiest way to connect the two devices. Unfortunately it's also the lowest quality though...

To answer the other posters: upload speed isn't a problem for me as I'm on a 80/20 FTTC connection here; the Slingbox does have component input but I'm already splitting my Sky+HD HDMI signal to feed two TVs and was hoping to avoid the extra expense and possible reliability issues of splitting it three ways, as well as an HDMI to component converter.

Seems odd that the Slingbox doesn't have scart in but I suppose it's originally a US product and, as far as I know, scart is a European thing.
  • timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, scart is generally a European (originated in France) thing.

At least if you try composite first and see how it goes it'll be one of the cheaper ways of connecting the box up.

My upload is only 1.2Mb though, going to a Slingcatcher on a 32" TV at the other end in Finland. Quality is acceptable when you sit some distance from the TV and certainly better than nothing! I would imagine 20Mb would be quite nice. Still waiting for FTTC.... (cabinets where installed last month!)
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,010
    Forum Member
    I think it depends what you are viewing it on. My SB Solo is connected via composite (my old Pro was connected via S-Video).

I get a better picture (on my 10" laptop) with the Solo than I did with the Pro.

Things have improved greatly now I have FTTC and it's now download speed at the other end rather than upload speed at my end that is the limiting factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect I will mostly be watching on my iPad so it sounds as if the composite connection may in fact be sufficient.

Don't tell the missus, but one of the reasons for getting the Slingbox is that my upcoming honeymoon clashes with two of the Ashes tests...!
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,010
    Forum Member
    I expect I will mostly be watching on my iPad so it sounds as if the composite connection may in fact be sufficient.

Don't tell the missus, but one of the reasons for getting the Slingbox is that my upcoming honeymoon clashes with two of the Ashes tests...!

I hope you're not going on a cruise.