Options

ITV and Lime settle TOWIE case (Brian Belo Sassy Films & Massive TV)

BrightStarBrightStar Posts: 86
Forum Member
ITV and Lime Pictures have reached an eleventh-hour settlement with three parties that claimed The Only Way is Essex infringed their copyright.

Brian Belo, Sassy Films and Massive TV took legal action against ITV and Lime Pictures in March last year, claiming that ITV2’s structured reality show adapted and reproduced part of a format they originally developed.

The case was due to go to be heard at the High Court today, but after last-ditch negotiations, all parties have reached a settlement.

“The Claim brought by Mr Belo, Sassy Films Limited and Bob Massie against Lime Pictures and ITV in relation to “The Only Way is Essex” has been resolved,” they said in a joint statement. “The terms of the settlement are confidential.”

Source: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=69138461

Comments

• Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    So does this mean that Belo was at least partly right? I thought ITV and Lime denied this completely?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They said that Totally Essex was more reality and TOWIE was scripted reality

I say fair play to belo for standing his ground
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brian Belo took on the big boys and WON.

ITV and Lime settle TOWIE case

ITV and Lime Pictures have reached an eleventh-hour settlement with three parties that claimed The Only Way is Essex infringed their copyright.

More: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/itv-and-lime-settle-towie-case/5062434.article?referrer=RSS
  • Options
    Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm...Brian certainly deserved something out of it, IMO, considering the TOWIE concept (never mind the cast) came from him, but I'm not sure how much he's benefitting here.

As I understand it, they offered him an out of court settlement a while back, which he refused. So what have they done now? Offered him a humongous sum with a percentage from future sales? Offered him a few more quid? convinced him that he was bound to fail and accept less than before?

seeing how the terms are confidential it's hard to say that he's done well here.
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Why are they paying him if what he was saying wasn't true?
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Good for Brian, I always thought it seemed highly probable that he would have come up with a TV idea like Towie tbh.
  • Options
    jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Brian - nice to see him beat the big boys.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So The Only Way Is Essex isn't an original then? I always thought that this was created from an original idea. Mustn't be the case.
  • Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen his 'Totally Essex' pilot show and it even featured lots of the TOWIE cast, they blatantly stole his idea IMO.

Well done Brian!
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the Totally Essex pitch...count the TOWIE stars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USX6tKZxK_o
  • Options
    RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    Well done Belo for getting money...However Booo for bringing this show into our lives
  • Options
    RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    Hmm...Brian certainly deserved something out of it, IMO, considering the TOWIE concept (never mind the cast) came from him, but I'm not sure how much he's benefitting here.

As I understand it, they offered him an out of court settlement a while back, which he refused. So what have they done now? Offered him a humongous sum with a percentage from future sales? Offered him a few more quid? convinced him that he was bound to fail and accept less than before?

seeing how the terms are confidential it's hard to say that he's done well here.

I know originally Belo and co wanted a "7 Figure Settlement" on the original lawsuit...so probably money was the issue
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for him. Not a fan but knew he wasn't telling porkies...
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    So The Only Way Is Essex isn't an original then? I always thought that this was created from an original idea. Mustn't be the case.

Not really - Belo's idea/pitch featured a number of TOWIE stars and locations.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kinda had a feeling they'd settle before it went to court.
    Anyone who saw that Totally Essex video could see that it was his show.

Nice one Brian .. glad to see it turned out well :)
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done brian
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any predictions on how much you think he got in terms of money?
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for him.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Good for him. Not a fan but knew he wasn't telling porkies...
    This ^^^
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done! (Assuming he's done well out of the settlement.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The dancing in that video! Cringed my head right off my shoulders!
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member

At least from that I figured out where Marks money came from Towie never bothered to tell you.
    Also the show didn't have Arg so I wish this one had been the one aired
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member

So basically it's TOWIE without black people??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    So does this mean that Belo was at least partly right? I thought ITV and Lime denied this completely?
    That is the normal starting point for companies with expensive lawyers hoping to get one over on a small player without much money. Flat denial and wait for them to run out of money so they have to withdraw. Glad it didn't work this time.
    So basically it's TOWIE without black people??

I'm pretty sure that an absence of black people would not be an actual strategy for Brian Belo.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    That is the normal starting point for companies with expensive lawyers hoping to get one over on a small player without much money. Flat denial and wait for them to run out of money so they have to withdraw. Glad it didn't work this time.

I'm pretty sure that an absence of black people would not be an actual strategy for Brian Belo.

Not sure what you mean.. I'm saying that they stole his idea, whitewashed it and rebranded it TOWIE