Options

Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P2)

Comments

• Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Once again the Nats try and rewrite facts to suit their own agenda.

The image at the bottom of this page shows very clearly that a large number turned up for armed forces day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-28062712

They really must take people for idiots if the think they can con us with their mis truths and lies.

That picture shows a crowd of 3000 at most. This is the point, it was very poorly attended.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I would love to know what point you think you are making, and whether you believe it supports an independence argument.

that's what I have been saying

I just don't get why its such a big deal , unless this is the usual puerile attempts at painting only YES supporters as real scots and therefore anyone who would be voting no couldn't possibly be interested in the Bannockburn anniversary as they are not Scottish anyway blah blah blah ...
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the second day of Bannockburn Live was also sell out

http://www.bannockburnlive.com/
  • Options
    Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    that's what I have been saying

I just don't get why its such a big deal , unless this is the usual puerile attempts at painting only YES supporters as real scots and therefore anyone who would be voting no couldn't possibly be interested in the Bannockburn anniversary as they are not Scottish anyway blah blah blah ...

It is an amusement rather than a big deal. An event planned to undermine the Bannockburn commemoration, using the worrisome veneration of the military which Westminster has tried very hard to foster over the last 10 years with hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money thrown at it and no gate fee.

Yet it still couldn't draw in the crowds or undermine the celebration of the War of Independence
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    It is an amusement rather than a big deal. An event planned to undermine the Bannockburn commemoration, using the worrisome veneration of the military which Westminster has tried very hard to foster over the last 10 years with hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money thrown at it and no gate fee.

Yet it still couldn't draw in the crowds or undermine the celebration of the War of Independence

how was it planned by Westminster to undermine the Bannockburn event when it is an annual event that has been held on the same day every year for the last 5 years ?
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how was it planned by Westminster to undermine the Bannockburn event when it is an annual event that has been held on the same day every year for the last 5 years ?
    By centring it in Stirling, very close to Bannockburn -- last year's event was centred in Nottingham
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because its not held in the same place every five years, and there was no need for it to be held in Stirling. Think about it - if you're arranging an event for which you have to sell tickets, and someone else pops up and announces they're having a free event about a mile away from you on the same day, do you think that might make it more difficult for you to sell your tickets?

Apparently Bannockburn Live has sold out two days in a row so it didn't work, and I'm glad it didn't work. It was mean spirited and a shameful way to treat the Armed Forces too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    By centring it in Stirling, very close to Bannockburn -- last year's event was centred in Nottingham

it wasn't centred in stirling , afaik there were at least 8 official events all over the country

and I keep asking this question but no-one has answered , if the so-called "braveheart effect" keeps getting ruled out as having any impact on the referendum by YES supporters why does it matter anyway ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Because its not held in the same place every five years, and there was no need for it to be held in Stirling. Think about it - if you're arranging an event for which you have to sell tickets, and someone else pops up and announces they're having a free event about a mile away from you on the same day, do you think that might make it more difficult for you to sell your tickets?

Apparently Bannockburn Live has sold out two days in a row so it didn't work, and I'm glad it didn't work. It was mean spirited and a shameful way to treat the Armed Forces too.

but it was stirling council's decision to bid for and host the event , nothing to do with either campaign

mountains being made out of molehills here tbh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it wasn't centred in stirling , afaik there were at least 8 official events all over the country

and I keep asking this question but no-one has answered , if the so-called "braveheart effect" keeps getting ruled out as having any impact on the referendum by YES supporters why does it matter anyway ?
    from the armed forces day website
    The National Event will be held in Stirling, but many more events will be held up and down the country in support of Armed Forces Day.
    http://www.armedforcesday.org.uk/about.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but it was stirling council's decision to bid for and host the event , nothing to do with either campaign

mountains being made out of molehills here tbh

You seriously think Stirling council is apolitical in this campaign? Its a Labour/Tory run coalition, of course it was to do with the no campaign.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You seriously think Stirling council is apolitical in this campaign? Its a Labour/Tory run coalition, of course it was to do with the no campaign.

firstly , that's nonsense

secondly , no-one has still answered my question , do we seriously think only YES supporters would take part in the Bannockburn anniversary event and only NO supporters in armed forces day and that this makes any difference whatsoever to how people might vote in the referendum ? because that's what you are implying here. I repeat we keep getting told that the YES campaign wont resort to a hearts over minds style campaign playing on the "braveheart effect" by YES supporters so why is this even an issue ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    firstly , that's nonsense

secondly , no-one has still answered my question , do we seriously think only YES supporters would take part in the Bannockburn anniversary event and only NO supporters in armed forces day and that this makes any difference whatsoever to how people might vote in the referendum ? because that's what you are implying here. I repeat we keep getting told that the YES campaign wont resort to a hearts over minds style campaign playing on the "braveheart effect" by YES supporters so why is this even an issue ?

It won't make any difference to how people will vote, and it never would have. It was just mean spirited IMO.

And if you're seriously telling me that a bunch of Tories and Labourites who are so keen to keep the SNP from controlling their council that they are even willing to hop into bed with each other wouldn't do such a thing, then pull the other one its got bells on.
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member

You seem remarkably well informed about the workings of Stirling council for someone who lives in the ROI.
  • Options
    AidyAidy Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps we should start a list of those against Yes Scotland should we?

Want me to start? According to posters on here either by stating implicitly in their posts or by posting links to other sites:

BBC
    MSM (except Sunday Herald)
    MI5
    Peter Kellner and YouGov
    Police Scotland
    Westminster (of course)
    Stirling Council

Have I missed any? Feel free to add.

We should also have a list of those who support Yes Scotland.

Wings over Scotland - such a patriotic Scot that he lives in Bath and doesnt know that Duntocher is in Clydebank.
    Sunday Herald
    NewsNet Scotland

the yes supporters will obviously be able to add to the list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    You seem remarkably well informed about the workings of Stirling council for someone who lives in the ROI.

What's remarkable about it? People in the ROI are as well able to use google and read stuff as people anywhere else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It won't make any difference to how people will vote, and it never would have. It was just mean spirited IMO.

And if you're seriously telling me that a bunch of Tories and Labourites who are so keen to keep the SNP from controlling their council that they are even willing to hop into bed with each other wouldn't do such a thing, then pull the other one its got bells on.

no I am telling you I refuse to believe that stirling council made a conscious decision to bid for the armed forces day event as a deliberate attempt to undermine the Bannockburn anniversary
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no I am telling you I refuse to believe that stirling council made a conscious decision to bid for the armed forces day event as a deliberate attempt to undermine the Bannockburn anniversary

And I think its obvious that they did. We'll just have to agree to differ.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i would not believe ANY organisation

I would believe a picture from ANY source.

i understand it might be difficult to photograph all 35,000 at once, so even a photo with 10,000 would convince me

i regularly attend ticketed events that announce attendance figures, so I know what 10,000, 30,000 or 60,000 looks like.

So there we have it you have nothing to back up your statement and you believe no on but yourself!!

You simply show yourself up for being rather silly.
  • Options
    AidyAidy Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do realise that the SNP and the Tories formed a coalition to run Dumfries and Galloway council in 2012 that only fell apart when seven Tories resigned from the group as they had lost confidence in their leader.

So are you saying that is is wrong to have a Lab/Tory coalition but ok to have a SNP/Tory coalition?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And I think its obvious that they did. We'll just have to agree to differ.

have you ever actually been to stirling and seen how the history of the area is something that they are quite proud of ?

if you had I doubt you would be so keen to believe a conspiracy theory that they made this decision as a deliberate attempt to undermine the very history that is part of their community

but of course it fits with your own beliefs doesn't it ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did & did it with mostly public funds, Bannockburn a paid event -- must have created problems and extra cost for police having those 2 events close together on 1 day too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's remarkable about it? People in the ROI are as well able to use google and read stuff as people anywhere else.

I would have thought that even in Ireland there must be something to interest you at least more than a referendum in a foreign country.

Interesting to note that your inside knowledge of Stirling council comes from Google
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    They did & did it with mostly public funds, Bannockburn a paid event -- must have created problems and extra cost for police having those 2 events close together on 1 day too?

so you can prove their intention was to undermine the Bannockburn anniversary ?

seriously ???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aidy wrote: »
    Bit less than the 'over 1,000' predicted yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28079812

"Police said there was a maximum of 350 protesters"

To put that in perspective - East Stirlingshire (the worst supported team in Scottish football) gets around that as an average attendance.

Unfortunately, as we all know, the police are biased so their figure is surely a huge under estimate. Or maybe not. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.