Sky 4K

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,270
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Wouldn't the Sky box do the HEVC decoding?

Of course, everything would be done in the Sky box and the TV just used as a monitor (just the same as now).
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My LG has an HEVC decoder and satellite input.

The UHD tests on Astra 1 work fine (according to posters on another forum).
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, everything would be done in the Sky box and the TV just used as a monitor (just the same as now).

Except that the TV would need HDMI 2.x. Pretty sure most 1st Gen sets do but is it true to say not all?
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping for a higher audio format, DD+ would be a start.

Sky could add DD+ audio now if they wanted because the broadcast variant of DD+ doesn't require anything special on the hardware front. The only downer, from my understanding of the spec, is that it's limited to 640Kbps to maintain compatibility with non-HDMI equipped hardware.

Several European broadcasters have been using DD+ audio for over a year now on film and studio generated output.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    Sky could add DD+ audio now if they wanted because the broadcast variant of DD+ doesn't require anything special on the hardware front. The only downer, from my understanding of the spec, is that it's limited to 640Kbps to maintain compatibility with non-HDMI equipped hardware.

Several European broadcasters have been using DD+ audio for over a year now on film and studio generated output.

The bitrate for DD+ is generally to high for optical/coaxial so it's downmixed to DD @ 640Kbps, in the same way Dolby True HD would be downmixed if replayed over optical/coaxial.

Technically I can't see why it couldnt be introduced, unless the higher bitrate would be an issue as DD+ has a Max bitrate of 6Mbps - those using HDMI and have compatible equipment could benefit from higher audio quality, as would those using optical as they would be getting the DD core @ 640Kbps instead of 384Kbps.
    Forum Member
    Restorer wrote: »
    Except that the TV would need HDMI 2.x. Pretty sure most 1st Gen sets do but is it true to say not all?

If they didn't have any suitable 4K inputs, then it would hardly be a 4K TV would it? :D
    Forum Member

First gen sets only had HDMI 1.4, they could only produce 4k @ 24Hz and 30Hz.

So to get 4k at today's standards you would need as you say HDMI 2.0.
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I see there isn't any mention of Sky's proposed 4K service in the quartly results today. :(
    Forum Member
    methodyguy wrote: »
    I see there isn't any mention of Sky's proposed 4K service in the quartly results today. :(

I wouldn't really expect it to be mentioned in the previous quarters results?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm hoping for a higher audio format, DD+ would be a start.

I'd be happy if the programme makers just improved the quality of their DD 5.1. The soundtracks on most TV shows are very poor compared with even very ordinary movies. The only audio I can say I really enjoyed recently was on Banshee. The final shoot-out at the end of the first season with gore and bullets flying sounded great :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »

Only thing I've heard so far today is the relaunch of NowTV with a 2nd generation box.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Only thing I've heard so far today is the relaunch of NowTV with a 2nd generation box.

Hope it will still be stupidly cheap!
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope it will support 50 Hz output...
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,295
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Hope it will support 50 Hz output...

HD?..
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,914
    Forum Member
    You might want to read this as to Sky's caution re 4K from Jeremy Darroch:-

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/02/04/sky-to-develop-boxed-sets-caution-on-4k/
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see this 4K launch being based mainly on live sports as that is where SKY could have most content. Any other content will be a bit thin on the ground for a 24/7 channel - but they will also no doubt make Box Office 4K to nullify Netflix/Amazon.

Cover those 2 bases and they are at least keeping pace/bettering their rivals in BT and the major streaming services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Hope it will still be stupidly cheap!

Well, you don't seem to be able to pick up the basic boxes for a tenner any more. The stores only seem to be selling them bundled with passes which I don't need.

Anyone know of anywhere still selling just the boxes?
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Radiomike wrote: »
    You might want to read this as to Sky's caution re 4K from Jeremy Darroch:-

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/02/04/sky-to-develop-boxed-sets-caution-on-4k/

That article seems to dampen speculation that a new 4K box was imminent which is a pity.
  • ShadowlandsShadowlands Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine there's less 4K content than there is 3D..
    Forum Member
    Well, you don't seem to be able to pick up the basic boxes for a tenner any more. The stores only seem to be selling them bundled with passes which I don't need.

Anyone know of anywhere still selling just the boxes?

I picked one up from eBay a short while ago for a family member, £13.99 free delivery under best offer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UHD test now on Astra 28.2.

12441 V

Anyone with a satellite input on their TV and an HEVC decoder will be able to watch.

Stunning quality on my new LG
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    UHD test now on Astra 28.2.

12441 V

Anyone with a satellite input on their TV and an HEVC decoder will be able to watch.

Stunning quality on my new LG

How did you find it? Via blind or network search? And what is name of the channel?

I have a 2nd gen lg 4k tv and find the satellite tuning pretty hard work! Looking forward to seeing how it compares with streamed 4k content though 😊
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avit_now wrote: »
    How did you find it? Via blind or network search? And what is name of the channel?

I have a 2nd gen lg 4k tv and find the satellite tuning pretty hard work! Looking forward to seeing how it compares with streamed 4k content though 😊

Did a scan (took about 20 minutes) and then selected the 12441 transponder.

Then saved to favourites.

Very long winded, but it's worth it.
    Forum Member
    Did a scan (took about 20 minutes) and then selected the 12441 transponder.

Then saved to favourites.

Very long winded, but it's worth it.

Wow I bet it is, so thanks ever so much for sharing. I'm trying just to add it directly. Do you know the symbol rate? And presumably its on a dvb-s2 transponder.

Also what's the dvb label ?

Thanks jamie
    Forum Member
    After a fair amount of messing, I've got it! And it is stunning! The best demonstration of what 4k can look like, ive seen on my tv!

For anyone else that is able view and is struggling; symbol rate is 29501 and the dvb name is Astra uhd demo.

Thanks again Derek500