Surely somebody else must agree with me that James is annoying. Likable but annoying.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
Forum Member
✭✭✭
He's a nice bloke but its like being faced with the kind of daft Uncle who insists on making a joke out of everything.

Comments

• CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He looks like hes catching flies with his mouth open all the time, it may be endearing but imagine living with it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say he's that annoying but he really was the most useless candidate this year , other than Noorul maybe , he should've gone weeks ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes i find James very annoying and not even funny. I don't dislike him but i wanted him to get fired in week 2 so that young Rocky could get a second chance!!
  • maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want to work for James and I wouldn't want to employ him.

My feeling is that he makes working relationships based on sharing a common 'enemy' - whether it is you and him against the world, your client, your product or your boss, it is not always a great way to get things done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, after tonight I'm afraid I've gone off him a bit.

Especially when he said 'Which ugly sister are you?' to Jo Brand when she made a joke about him being a panto character.

And putting that stuff in his application form was just daft.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And putting that stuff in his application form was just daft.

It was. It may give away the fact that he had already decided to set himself up as a likable joker ready for a media career and wanted to signal that to the producers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Total idiot he just makes unfunny joke after unfunny joke. I really liked him until tonight where i found him pathetic did he really expect to get the job with such a childish attitude.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes yes yes yes yes OP!

I've found James extremely irritating through the process. I haven't found him amusing or endearing as the majority seem to have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone find his comments ridiculously rehearsed? It's like Katie from Series 3 where you know she had planned the witty/catty comments before she talked to the camera but at least she gave off the slight impression that it was spontaneous , James just does it as though he's thinking about what he planned to say before he's said it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone find his comments ridiculously rehearsed? It's like Katie from Series 3 where you know she had planned the witty/catty comments before she talked to the camera but at least she gave off the slight impression that it was spontaneous , James just does it as though he's thinking about what he planned to say before he's said it.

I have a feeling that he had it all worked out in advance. You could sometimes see the wheels going round in his brain slightly too slowly for comfort, wondering where he could get the next one in. His judgment is off too when he has to think fast- like with the comment to Jo Brand. That became a silly insult by virtue of the fact that it wasn't funny.
  • A CillayA Cillay Posts: 8,215
    Forum Member
    Yep, far to insincere to work for an organisation of Sir Alan's intensity.

Found him a bit of a pratt throughout tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank god for this forum.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way about James. His one-liners sounded very rehearsed.

And another thing that wound me up was that dopey expression he wore constantly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »
    Thank god for this forum.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way about James. His one-liners were sounded very rehearsed.

And another thing that wound me up was that dopey expression he wore constantly.

Sid, that's exactly why I started this thread. I watched the love in they gave him on YBF and thought I must be missing something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    froglet wrote: »
    Sid, that's exactly why I started this thread. I watched the love in they gave him on YBF and thought I must be missing something.

Well I'm glad you did :D

My mum absolutely loves him and was howling with laughter as she watched him tonight whilst I just got increasingly agitated by the buffoon!

I'm not mincing my words tonight :D
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 25,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think hes hilarious and not in the least bit annoying.
    he brought some much needed humour to the show.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minxymoo wrote: »
    I think hes hilarious and not in the least bit annoying.
    he brought some much needed humour to the show.:)

Well done minxymoo- he's a nice man and I don't want to be horrible to him. :D

He's still not funny though.....................:D
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    I think he's too naive or immature. The stuff he wrote on his CV about spunk on the wall - that was totally unacceptable. How would anyone read that and want to hire him? He's a funny guy but he ruined his own chances. He also seemed to lack confidence in the interviews. His approach was all wrong.

The winner of the Apprentice is the person who screws up the least. In this respect, James was never going to win! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I decided last week that his one liners were rehearsed and IMO it was more obvious this week.

His 'ugly sister' remark to Jo Brand clearly rehearsed and also made him come across as a bit sour, as if he couldn't take a joke against him and had to retaliate. Also badly judged since Jo Brand has made a career out of dealing with hecklers telling her she's ugly - he's lucky she ignored it rather than laying into him.

Came across much worse than in You're Fired! when speaking as live than he did in the main programme, whereas I thought Debra and Lorraine both came across better when they were relaxed.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I decided last week that his one liners were rehearsed and IMO it was more obvious this week.

His 'ugly sister' remark to Jo Brand clearly rehearsed and also made him come across as a bit sour, as if he couldn't take a joke against him and had to retaliate. Also badly judged since Jo Brand has made a career out of dealing with hecklers telling her she's ugly - he's lucky she ignored it rather than laying into him.

Came across much worse than in You're Fired! when speaking as live than he did in the main programme, whereas I thought Debra and Lorraine both came across better when they were relaxed.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Shocked at how apallingly he came across in the interviews and then shocked again at how badly he came across on YF. YF is 'redemption city' for candidates and most of them really come across much better than on the show and the viewer is left with a good(ish!) impression of them, whereas with James, I was left with an impression of a petulant, childish, unprofessional and not very likeable man.

And agree also re his remark to Jo. James seems to be good at dishing it out but not so good when he's at the receiving end of what was, on Jo's part, a harmless and affectionate joke at his expense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I reckon he spends a considerable amount of time thinking up his lines in readiness for a semi-appropriate time where he can shoe-horn one of them in.

Unfortunately he lacks the articulacy or the timing to really make it work. Instead it comes across as a bit clumsy and contrived.

I think he's a nice guy though... and I don't find him annoying... more embarrassed for him really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually... I thought his "ugly sister" remark was one of the few spontaneous ones... and he didn't intend it as a harmless joke either... it was a kneejerk retort to Jo Brand referring to him as a something or other (can't remember) knobhead... he was offended and he intended to offend back. Jo Brand clarified after ignoring his comment that she meant that in the nicest possible way of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    He may be everything he seems. But I am a tad WARY of such people. In the work place, being (apparently) "the joker" or "the child", can often hide burning ambition... and noone else suspects such people of anything. Who would suspect an innocent child... Until they get promoted over everyone else! Some bosses are total suckers for this strategy. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nitpick wrote: »
    He may be everything he seems. But I am a tad WARY of such people. In the work place, being (apparently) "the joker" or "the child", can often hide burning ambition... and noone else suspects such people of anything. Who would suspect an innocent child... Until they get promoted over everyone else! Some bosses are total suckers for this strategy. :p

That might be the case for the "joker" who can, at least, still remain reasonably articulate under pressure.

James has a tendency to totally lose the plot at the worse possible time though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Bookends wrote: »
    James has a tendency to totally lose the plot at the worse possible time though...
    :D True, some of his stuff verged on rampant Wally-dome". :p