Options

It's that time of year again.

Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I fear I am going to be stuck in my living room for a while. My cat has killed a mouse and is batting it around the hallway, although I can now hear crunching noises. I hope she doesn't leave any for me. Had to remove half a mouse in the hallway on Sunday.:cry: I think she has brought it in from outside. When I get mice in the house, she spends hours keeping vigil in the kitchen.

Comments

• Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear!:eek:I think you may have to leave puss then go and do the *CSI job later* :eek:

*Dolls starts playing the *mission Impossible theme tune*

So sorry !:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a quick peak. Just the tail and a bit of innards left.:(
    I am going to have to be brave and clear it up. I know it is natural, but I wish they wouldn't bring their trophies in.:eek:

If only I could call Grissom to come and investigate.:o:D
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Harry my large black/white cat has a habit of bringing rats and frogs from the local canal, the largest animal he ever got was a duck which he could not fit through the cat flap. The duck survived and I was able to release the duck a half hour later uninjured as he rarely kills anything, just likes bringing presents.
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a quick peak. Just the tail and a bit of innards left.:(
    I am going to have to be brave and clear it up. I know it is natural, but I wish they wouldn't bring their trophies in.:eek:

If only I could call Grissom to come and investigate.:o:D

Nah if you send him in I'd *nick im* pmsl

Aww thats the terrible thing with cats, get em in play wiv em then *perhaps killem* ...my little ones have bought them in just to have a play, I've been lucky enough to rescue the poor little mite or *mites*.......nightmare...I rescued a baby startling from my dear departed Dolly a couple of years ago, my friend was staying with me , I screamed.......*Help she's got a bird* me mate run out and clapped .......Dolly had this bird in her mouth (t was nearly bigger than her) she dropped the bird ,came running in.... we went out the garden later and the bird had gone..........phew......:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    Harry my large black/white cat has a habit of bringing rats and frogs from the local canal, the largest animal he ever got was a duck which he could not fit through the cat flap. The duck survived and I was able to release the duck a half hour later uninjured as he rarely kills anything, just likes bringing presents.

This morning I found loads of feathers on the lawn, but as my cat had been in all night, I am guessing it was a neighbouring cat having a go at Dave (the dove, or one of his family). Just feathers and no body thankfully. If my cat brings in live mice, I usually manage to catch them before the kill and release them, but sadly not today. Thank goodness for kitchen roll and Johnsons stain and odour remover!
  • Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat's an embarassment to felines everywhere.. he ran away from the gerbil when it escaped and hid under the bed and was even scared out the living room by a beetle (it was kind of big, but all the same :eek:)

He saves his hunting for easy targets like moths and very small spiders.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    We're lucky, really. Winnie can't catch a thing (it's adorable watching her try, though!:D) she's come in with a few already dead mice before. they were absolutely tiny! :eek:

Editing just to do this ^ ^ to the post above. Sounds very much like my Winnie. She's chasing a crane fly as I type this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my friends swore that my cat caught a butterfly in the garden -- leaping in the air like an acrobat -- but I have my doubts.

Spiders are about his limit. On a good day. A very good day. :cool:
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Flo almost caught a hooded crow on the lawn this afternoon - up here they are HUGE and often attack sheep and lambs and peck their eyes out - so I was quite relieved that it managed to take off just in time. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her pounce on it from the window - the crow was easily as big as her.:eek: She goes after anything that moves - at this very moment she's trying to pry a vole out from under a rock just outside the patio door, where it ran when she dropped it a few minutes ago.

I daren't leave the door open as she brings in everything she catches. The other day I left the patio door open a couple of inches for some fresh air, and she literally posted a live bird through the gap. It flew all round our open plan house before crashing into a beam and dropping stone dead on the floor.....poor thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lorry wrote: »
    My Flo almost caught a hooded crow on the lawn this afternoon - up here they are HUGE and often attack sheep and lambs and peck their eyes out - so I was quite relieved that it managed to take off just in time. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her pounce on it from the window - the crow was easily as big as her.:eek: She goes after anything that moves - at this very moment she's trying to pry a vole out from under a rock just outside the patio door, where it ran when she dropped it a few minutes ago.

I daren't leave the door open as she brings in everything she catches. The other day I left the patio door open a couple of inches for some fresh air, and she literally posted a live bird through the gap. It flew all round our open plan house before crashing into a beam and dropping stone dead on the floor.....poor thing.

Thankfuly Grumps goes through the motions with big birds (crouching, bum wiggling and big eyes), but waits until they fly off before being brave enough to pounce, although last year she came in with a sparrow in her mouth. I tried to shoo her outside, but the little bugger ran upstairs and under my bed. I had to leave her up there and by the time I investigated, there were only a couple of feathers remaining.:(
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roooty wrote: »
    One of my friends swore that my cat caught a butterfly in the garden -- leaping in the air like an acrobat -- but I have my doubts.

Spiders are about his limit. On a good day. A very good day. :cool:

Doubt ye not - that's one of my Smudge's favourite games, and he gets them more often than he misses.

Mostly I end up having to rescue dusty frogs from under the TV cabinet or behind the fridge.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do the always leave what looks like the best bit of the mouse.:confused:
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    Why do the always leave what looks like the best bit of the mouse.:confused:

That is your bit.:D

Maybe the cat is simply paying for its bed and board.....
  • Options
    sesmosesmo Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a cat a few years ago who liked catching birds. Wasn't too bothered about mice etc. Didn't often kill them though. He came in one night with his belly extremely swollen and flaked out by the back hall radiator. He looked ILL! Was getting the cat carrier out to get him to the vets and he was sick. Looked like big pieces of pasta and there was lots of it. Set about cleaning it up, while he wandered off looking much happier (and thinner).

While cleaning it I found a piece of lead in a ring shape. Yep, was a pigeons leg ring! Rang the vet back to ask if he'd be ok after eating it. Vet said yes, as long as it was in one piece and that I should ring some number to report it so the owner of the pigeon would know what had happened to it. (Think it was some Racing Pigeon Society). Rang the number and they wanted to know how it had died. Didn't have the heart to say my cat had scoffed it so said a fox had had it.

Feel guilty to this day about it. Glad the owner knew sort of why it wouldn't be coming home though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one this evening. She has been outside despite the rain. I think she is getting them from a couple of doors down. Last night she went out late and wasn't in when I went to bed, so I went outside and whistled (yes she comes when I whistle, bless her). She leapt over the fence and came in with nothing. But at the moment she is in the hallway meowing and throwing the dead mouse around.:(
  • Options
    seosamhseosamh Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least the mouse is dead! Last month I let mine in late at night and just after I had closed the door she dropped a very live mouse, or more probably a vole, who promptly scurried under some presses where I could not possibly reach him. What was funny was the vigil my cat and dog kept up for hours on end for the next few days staring at that spot. Finally had to catch him myself with a trap coated with chocolate - poor little fellow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    oh thats awful when they bring things home. I hope its not too horrific clearing up.

One of my cats will catch anything and torture it. Birds, lizards, locusts.

Once I heard him rustling about in the hallway with a large bird, the bird was half conscious so i tried to shoo the cat away but he wasnt having any of it. Im petrified of birds but wanted to do my best to saveit. No chance, it came round, flew at me..I bolted myself in the bedroom and rang my other half to come home from work to help. He came home and the bird was like a chewed up piece of beef jerky with blood spots all up the living room and hallway walls. It was gross!!!

The funniest was when i found a slipper on kitchen floor when he was a small kitten. The slipper was wet and smelt of washing powder. Had no idea how it had got there. Went onto the roof terrace and looked across a few roofs to see an open window. He'd nicked the old ladies slipper that was drying on her windowsill.carried it across 4 rooftops and brought it home. Slipper was bigger than him.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shellou wrote: »
    oh thats awful when they bring things home. I hope its not too horrific clearing up.

One of my cats will catch anything and torture it. Birds, lizards, locusts.

Once I heard him rustling about in the hallway with a large bird, the bird was half conscious so i tried to shoo the cat away but he wasnt having any of it. Im petrified of birds but wanted to do my best to saveit. No chance, it came round, flew at me..I bolted myself in the bedroom and rang my other half to come home from work to help. He came home and the bird was like a chewed up piece of beef jerky with blood spots all up the living room and hallway walls. It was gross!!!

The funniest was when i found a slipper on kitchen floor when he was a small kitten. The slipper was wet and smelt of washing powder. Had no idea how it had got there. Went onto the roof terrace and looked across a few roofs to see an open window. He'd nicked the old ladies slipper that was drying on her windowsill.carried it across 4 rooftops and brought it home. Slipper was bigger than him.:)

Poor you with the bird.:( Hilarious about the slipper though :D

A few days ago she did eat most of the mouse, but tonight she left it whole for me. Have put it in a bag in the dustbin. She has gone out again, hope she doesn't find another one, although if mice are a problem next door then I should start charging for her service.:D
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I pride myself on not being scared of spiders/moths etc. Tonight was different though, because he was a big spider!

I'm terrified, talking to myself etc, you know how it is.:o Everyone's asleep because it's midnight. So I thought I'd get Winnie (my cat) to help with the situation.

It's official...she. is. useless!:rolleyes:

she just spent ages washing herself, and occasionally batting it around gently with her paw.

:o

I ended up killing the bloody thing myself.

:cool:

I know what I'm getting her for christmas...a jar of flipping spiders to practice with.:o