Options

Putting doorbell on UPVC Frame

Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This may be a completely stupid question, but can I screw a doorbell onto a UPVC door frame. Just got a new front door and the bell was originally screwed onto the wooden frame. I don't want to start making holes in the new one unless I know it is OK. The other alternative is to screw into the brick but I am a bit reluctant to do that unless I absolutely have to. I have been having a look at neighbouring properties and those with new doors don't seem to have bells.

Comments

• Options
    fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use double sided sticky tape / felt pads.
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can make a hole in the UPVC doorframe yes, but I prefer to attach the doorbell using some exterior quality sticky Velcro.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I'll have a look in my tape box to see if there is anything to stick it on with.
  • Options
    timewarpbunnytimewarpbunny Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I used gripfill and literally stuck it to the doorframe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is on with a strip of double sided tape at the moment. I will have to see if it stays on - looks like it is going to rain. If not, maybe I will try glueing it.
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think glue is a good idea - sometime in the future you will want to replace the doorbell.

Use something that can be removed with Sticky Stuff Remover.

There are lots of outdoor adhesive solutions - and they're not expensive.

Tape, Velcro, Pads.......
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use a wireless doorbell!

The push button just sticks on.

http://cpc.farnell.com/door-bell-chimes-wireless

(I've linked to Farnell Components, because, most of these products have an individual info sheet, which should say whether or not the button has an adhesive mounting pad! However, cheap wireless doorbells are widley avaiilable online .........
  • Options
    excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought this Wireless Doorbell only the other day from Amazon and it comes with a sticky back pad that as attached to my UPVC door no problems.

So far, no problems and very impressed with it !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is, I purchased my doorbell fairly recently from Argos. The ring unit plugs into the hall with an in built socket in it so I can still use it and the actual push button only came with screws. I don't want to buy another. I will see how the sticky tape works for now and then hit the pound shops to find some adhesive mounting strips.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I screwed mine into the frame using self tapping screws
  • Options
    ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can screw it on, all upvc doorframes should have steel reinforcement inside though, (but some cowboys dont bother putting it in), so either use a battery driver and a good quality self tapping screw or drill pilot holes.
  • Options
    fortytwofortytwo Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a wireless bell push it shouldn't be attached to a upvc door frame.

That's what I was told by the technical department of the company that makes them when I complained to them about the unreliability of my system.
  • Options
    charmarrcharmarr Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will invaladate any warranty you may have if you screw into the frame
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charmarr wrote: »
    You will invaladate any warranty you may have if you screw into the frame

Thanks for that. I'm glad I have only stuck it with tape.