Cheapest Freesat HD Box

keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone help I'm looking for a cheap Freesat HD box for the inlaws, the cheapest I can find is The Argos Bush box for £70, anyone know of any others?

I'm aware that you can pick up HD boxes from B&Q etc, really want a Freesat box as channel retunes would cause confusion.

Thanks!

Comments

• givecreditgivecredit Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    I would recommend this receiver. Slightly dearer, but worth it. It also handles the non freesat channels very well (eg Sky News) by being able to add them to favorites.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B005UYR2B6/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get a cheap one, get a Humax. If you want a cheap Humax look here: http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/prodCat.asp?cat=factory&type=sat
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I second the last 2 posts.
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you are asking about the box only, I presume you already have the dish. If not, the aforementioned Manhattan HD-S is available for £100 from Tesco including the installation of a dish.

Bush boxes should be avoided at all costs. They have a dreadful reputation along with the same boxes marketed under the Grundig and Goodmans names. Those last two were marketed by Harvard. The have lost the rights to the Grundig name in the UK and have obviously recognised what a bad reputation their boxes have because they have started a new brand name for their set top boxes, Vision 21.

Dixons Retail Group appear to have purchased their recently introduced Logik freesat box from the same OEM maker as Manhattan although in a different design case. This is currently £70 on their sites (Dixons, Currys or PCWorld) although it has been £5 cheaper.

Note you can also get an "A" grade Humax Foxsat HD for £79+p&p from Humax Direct

Any of these three other boxes would be preferable to anything marketed or supplied to Argos by Harvard in my opinion.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks chaps,

As the Logik box is similar to the Manhattan, does this mean its worth a look?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    Thanks chaps,

As the Logik box is similar to the Manhattan, does this mean its worth a look?

Yep it's essentially the same box, just rebranded. Have a look on joinfreesat I believe they have review.

For my two pence worth I would go for a refurb foxsat. I have the foxsat hd & HDR and they are great pieces of kit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    The humax stb is now down to 99.99 in a couple of the multiples, ideal if you dont want to buy a refurb unit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waynejac wrote: »
    The humax stb is now down to 99.99 in a couple of the multiples, ideal if you dont want to buy a refurb unit.

I only paid £95 for mine a year ago.

Simply do a web search, find the lowest price, print it off, then check Richer Sounds has one in stock or if not order it.

Turn up with the web advert and ask them for a price match.

The Foxsat HD is a very nice box.
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bought the Bush HD box when it was first £65 (A few years ago, I think) and have had no problems at all with it. Although, after reading all the negative reports, I do hold my breath every time I turn it on.
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only paid £95 for mine a year ago.

Simply do a web search, find the lowest price, print it off, then check Richer Sounds has one in stock or if not order it.

Turn up with the web advert and ask them for a price match.

The Foxsat HD is a very nice box.

Richer Sounds are a bit confusing as they have the Foxsat listed at £99.99 in the main listings and in store only. They also have them in their clearance listings without prices. I presume these will be cheaper as they are ex-display models but worth checking.

Also get the Richer Sounds 5 year Supercover warranty just in case you get one with a dodgy capacitor that blows a day after Humax's 2 year period is up. Worth the peace of mind for the tenner and it is refundable if you do not use it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    A bought the Bush HD box when it was first £65 (A few years ago, I think) and have had no problems at all with it. Although, after reading all the negative reports, I do hold my breath every time I turn it on.
    So you don't count not being able to use ITV Player as a problem?
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KevinGB wrote: »

ITV would be no great loss, let alone the ITVPlayer, have it on my Foxsat, its pretty crap anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    ITV would be no great loss, let alone the ITVPlayer, have it on my Foxsat, its pretty crap anyway.
    Fair comment. It's a shame that the BBC seem to compete with ITV in a race to the bottom!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lbear wrote: »
    Richer Sounds are a bit confusing as they have the Foxsat listed at £99.99 in the main listings and in store only. They also have them in their clearance listings without prices. I presume these will be cheaper as they are ex-display models but worth checking.

Also get the Richer Sounds 5 year Supercover warranty just in case you get one with a dodgy capacitor that blows a day after Humax's 2 year period is up. Worth the peace of mind for the tenner and it is refundable if you do not use it.

Yeah mine was a new one, they had to order it in specially as they had no stock and I didn't spring the price match on them until I went to collect it. At the time the boxes were selling for £130.

All it takes is a bit of google and a printer to save £'s.
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KevinGB wrote: »
    Maybe if my Broadband was any good. . .
  • ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a big difference between "cheapest" and "best value " Freesat HD (non-PVR) receiver. The cheapest is likely to be one of the Bush branded units when on sale at Argos, but they have questionable reliability.

The best value would be the Manhattan Plaza HD-S at around £75; but Dixons/Currys own brand Logik is actually a Manhattan (though with unsupported software) currently priced at £65. These are the most reliable for the money.

The Humax FOXSAT-HD is also a good value receiver, but not as cheap at around £99.

Stick to the Manhattan or Humax imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    ive got 3 hd boxes one humax & 2 bush ones i only use the humax in spain & have no prob's with my bush boxes you've got to remember this is not new tech so its tryed n tested, so why not try a bush or what ever you can get cheeply if you like if buy a pvr later & put the other one in the bedroom or kitchen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    ian-d wrote: »
    There is a big difference between "cheapest" and "best value " Freesat HD (non-PVR) receiver. The cheapest is likely to be one of the Bush branded units when on sale at Argos, but they have questionable reliability.

The best value would be the Manhattan Plaza HD-S at around £75; but Dixons/Currys own brand Logik is actually a Manhattan (though with unsupported software) currently priced at £65. These are the most reliable for the money.

The Humax FOXSAT-HD is also a good value receiver, but not as cheap at around £99.

Stick to the Manhattan or Humax imo.

All good advice.
    Too many people buy the cheapest & expect the best.
  • MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pandashoe wrote: »
    ... so why not try a bush or what ever you can get cheeply if you like ...

Because the Bush unit will be made by Harvard or Vestel and will have rubbish parts inside it and less than great software. Sure it will work OK for at least 13 months, after that you are on borrowed time IMHO.

However, to be fair, at least some of the Humax HD boxes have had problems with power supply capacitors (the dreaded CapXons strike again). But should it be needed, these are easily replaced by any competent service engineer with better quality parts that will probably not fail again. The rest of the Humax is very solid and the software is generally stable (FYI the Humax HDR has far better capacitors in its power supply). If you get a 5 year extended guarantee from Richer Sounds you can rest easy (extended guarantees from anyone else are usually not worth the cost).

As has already been said, cheapest does not always = best value.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Masteriser wrote: »
    Because the Bush unit will be made by Harvard or Vestel and will have rubbish parts inside it and less than great software. Sure it will work OK for at least 13 months, after that you are on borrowed time IMHO.

However, to be fair, at least some of the Humax HD boxes have had problems with power supply capacitors (the dreaded CapXons strike again). But should it be needed, these are easily replaced by any competent service engineer with better quality parts that will probably not fail again. The rest of the Humax is very solid and the software is generally stable (FYI the Humax HDR has far better capacitors in its power supply). If you get a 5 year extended guarantee from Richer Sounds you can rest easy (extended guarantees from anyone else are usually not worth the cost).

As has already been said, cheapest does not always = best value.

The Bush, Manhattan and Logik are pretty much the same model, made for them by a Chinese OEM.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    but then why do ppl rate than bush below the manhattan and logik?
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Manhattan HD box (the Plaza HD-S) isn't the same as the Bush. And Logik, not even heard of them ;)
  • ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    icstm wrote: »
    but then why do ppl rate than bush below the manhattan and logik?

...because 1andrew1 is incorrect, they are not built with the same components or to the same standard. Plus quite a lot can be contributed to the appauling software in the Bush/Grundig/Goodmans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Bush/Grundig/Goodmans.

Ah, the unholy trinity of mediocrity.
  • JacquicrosslandJacquicrossland Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a Grundig HD Box from Tesco for only £30 with no problems in the 4 months I've had it.