What I'd do now if I were Lucy...............

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It would be a big challenge but if Lucy gets through and she could write a new song each week for the chosen theme I think that would work beautifully.
I mean one of her own songs in her own style that is linked to it in some way.

Comments

• Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's a really good idea, Froglet.

I would hate it if she's forced to belt out classics that just aren't in her own style.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be a different show, though. Maybe a talent search for singer/songwriters might be a good idea. But this isn't it. It's a karaoke competition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's more likely that she will adapt covers to her own style each week. But if she can't sing without her guitar then she's very limited and she won't be allowed to do it anyway. Whoever decides these things always has to take contestants "out of their comfort zone" (shudders at that expression) to make good TV. I remember them trying to make Leona do a dance routine one week which was completely unnecessary, and she ended up doing what she normally did with a bit of movement and it was awkward and took away from her performance. Leona is meant to stand there, look soulfully at the audience and belt it out and Lucy is meant to stand there with a guitar and sing uncomplicated songs. By forcing people to change their style they do everyone a disservice.
  • David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's more likely that she will adapt covers to her own style each week. But if she can't sing without her guitar then she's very limited and she won't be allowed to do it anyway. Whoever decides these things always has to take contestants "out of their comfort zone" (shudders at that expression) to make good TV.

But audiences are falling and Lucy is popular. Is there a rule that says they cannot write their own material? They let that baby-rapper try on XF-USA. She would need to stick to the theme and occasionally that would force a cover, but not every week
    I remember them trying to make Leona do a dance routine one week which was completely unnecessary, and she ended up doing what she normally did with a bit of movement and it was awkward and took away from her performance. Leona is meant to stand there, look soulfully at the audience and belt it out and Lucy is meant to stand there with a guitar and sing uncomplicated songs. By forcing people to change their style they do everyone a disservice.

If she stands up for herself then that won't happen. Last year's Idol winner refused to play along - he wouldn't dress up in the silly Tommy Hillfiger outfits and he didn't do dancing. He also had his guitar most weeks, He won by a landslide.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that David is right. They are not going to want to lose out on that kind of audience reaction. One way or another they will want to make it work for her,

People who can do what Lucy does have a lot of charm and it's a long while since Victoria Wood was young and doing something similar, in her own way.

It doesn't fit the format but the show needs something new.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see it happening, but I hope you're both right. It would be nice to see some original songs instead of the same old Whitney/Mariah songs we hear every year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see it happening, but I hope you're both right. It would be nice to see some original songs instead of the same old Whitney/Mariah songs we hear every year.

Oh Lord yes.............. save me from mega volume warbling of of songs which someone has "made their own" by not quite doing them as well as the originals.......................
  • EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's mostly about the words. My guess would be that most weeks there'll be songs she can occupy and perform well, though tinkering with some words here and there seems possible. Moves Like Jagger was such a trainwreck not because of the limitations of her voice, but her art is in giving each word its due and having people hear and respond to what she's singing about. Fine for A Team, for instance, but Moves Like Jagger (curiosity led me to read the lyrics the other night) - well, as songs go it's more of a mating display. Not sure if she felt herself to be above it, as some have said, but for sure she was at least far off to one side and no way could she have performed it with any conviction. It had to be laughable, and she knew it.

Janet Devlin's time on the show fell apart because she looked like a conventional star in the making, and could sound like one, and there was pressure from the start on her to become one. Nobody's going to be daft enough to think that big production and shiny frocks will make Lucy Spraggan into the next Rihanna: they'll be looking for ways within the show's format to bring out the performer she already is.
  • AdamClelandAdamCleland Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately Lucy won't have any say in anything that happens, and when she's ejected from the competition (because she's in the wrong competition, let's be honest), she'll be tied up in a contract that says that she can't do anything for 50 years, and that'll be the end of her dream.

It frustrates me that she didn't wait until January and go for BGT instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What like in a 'Madonna week' make up a song about Madonna?

"This song's about Madonna
    I think I'm a gonner
    She sang in a basque
    So will I if you ask"

*strum strum*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've paid my dues by looking up the lyrics to Moves Like Jagger, so I'm not about to research any Madonna songs (and can only remember a couple of lines I've ever heard): and I've not watched any other talent(ish) contests since the days of Hughie Green, so I'd better not pronounce on which she'd have been right for, though I'm influenced by the fact that I'd probably never have come across her on anything else. I've just watched XF for a couple of years and concluded that Lucy won't be put under the kinds of pressure Janet was - there'd be, obviously to all concerned, no point - and that she won't have more than the average amount of trouble adapting to themed weeks. But we'll all see, fairly soon now, if she's given the opportunity :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EdgarK wrote: »
    I've paid my dues by looking up the lyrics to Moves Like Jagger, so I'm not about to research any Madonna songs (and can only remember a couple of lines I've ever heard): and I've not watched any other talent(ish) contests since the days of Hughie Green, so I'd better not pronounce on which she'd have been right for, though I'm influenced by the fact that I'd probably never have come across her on anything else. I've just watched XF for a couple of years and concluded that Lucy won't be put under the kinds of pressure Janet was - there'd be, obviously to all concerned, no point - and that she won't have more than the average amount of trouble adapting to themed weeks. But we'll all see, fairly soon now, if she's given the opportunity :)

Crikey - I would have written something very similar. Are you me? Though the smiley gives it away, I don't smile much.

Completely agree about the exposure Lucy is getting. Following on from XF, I do now watch other shows, but only the American singing competitions; people's juggling dogs or people juggling dogs is not my cup-of-assam. So, if she'd not been on XF I wouldn't have seen her, but now I will go to see her as I note she plays the festival circuit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the good thing for her. She is already a very experienced performer and she knows exactly what she can do. Even being turned down before the live shows would not be too much of a loss as the publicity will have kick started some extra interest.

People like Jake Thackeray- who she reminds me of in some ways- are never huge stars but they have a devoted following and their talent is not in doubt. Seeing her in the Pleasance bar up at the Edinburgh festival would be a joy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Yeah but that's not fair on the other contestants. If she gets to do her own songs its most likely going to wow people more than if she did a cover.. So she has an advantage over them all. You've seen the reaction she gets.

At the end of the day, the whole point of the X Factor is singing ability. While in the real world credibility and writing your own songs is much better than X Factor rubbish, it misses the point of the X Factor entirely. X Factor isn't meant to be credible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burst wrote: »
    Yeah but that's not fair on the other contestants. If she gets to do her own songs its most likely going to wow people more than if she did a cover.. So she has an advantage over them all. You've seen the reaction she gets.

At the end of the day, the whole point of the X Factor is singing ability. While in the real world credibility and writing your own songs is much better than X Factor rubbish, it misses the point of the X Factor entirely. X Factor isn't meant to be credible.

I'm not proposing changing the rules to accommodate her, but Brian on XF USA seemed to set a precedent here and it looks like you can write your own stuff - obviously not in Britney week, but in the more loosely themed weeks.

The other competitors would be free to write their own material too - but Brian proved it isn't easy, especially when they change themes at short notice. Of course Lucy has the disadvantages of being a little plain and not having a great voice, so it all evens out.

And it seems clear to me that what X-Factor is "about" is making money. I don't think there is some sort of contract with the viewers guaranteeing anything else. If we can squeeze a little entertainment out of them on the way then everybody is happy.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put down the fork...
  • Moomin STFCMoomin STFC Posts: 4,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Lucy (ooh wasn't that a TV show back in the day?), but X Factor is not the right show for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Lucy (ooh wasn't that a TV show back in the day?), but X Factor is not the right show for her.

A truly great artist would make the show right.

I don't know if that is Lucy, but I'm in for the ride.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it seems clear to me that what X-Factor is "about" is making money. I don't think there is some sort of contract with the viewers guaranteeing anything else. If we can squeeze a little entertainment out of them on the way then everybody is happy....

Yes. Promotional materials and judges' comments of course put a different spin on it and say that it's about finding new pop stars / recording artists, which is part of the way it makes money, the other part being attracting plenty of advertising to ITV at weekends, for which it needs big audiences. I've only been watching since 2010, but I've never heard it described by anyone involved as a singing contest. There's generally a wave of protest here whenever it's said, but sending a contestant home with "you're an excellent singer, but... or keeping them around because "you're not the best singer, but... is as near honesty as the whole thing gets.

Personalities, backstories, image, controversies, it's about all those. Oh, and singing too, but there's no meter to measure that any more than for those other things. In context, a good singer is anybody the viewers will vote to see more of. I'd guess Lucy being Lucy will do the show a power of good. Maybe even Rylan will, as Jedward and Wagner before him - the show needs variety, perhaps it even needs pantomime villains, to maintain its appeal. The Voice tried a bit harder to be a singing contest... viewers drifted away, tour cancelled. Just doesn't work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a popularity contest as well as a singing one. They edit it that way and choose contestants that way. People are just as likely to vote based on a sense of loyalty and liking for someone as they are for their talent, and votes make money. Those audience reactions were an honest snapshot of what the producers might expect for Lucy as the contest goes on. I bet they are wondering how they can make it work.......... because the pitfalls are obvious but there is a chance of something new and different.

As Edgar says The Voice tried to prove that truth wrong and it got them nowhere.

I think Rylan is an absolute hoot by the way! :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    froglet wrote: »

I think Rylan is an absolute hoot by the way! :-)

I'm sort of warming to him somehow myself. It's an insidious process, once it starts ;)
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really interested to see what they do with Lucy. She's a gem and I hope they don't spoil that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sort of warming to him somehow myself. It's an insidious process, once it starts ;)

I agree - he reminds me a little of somebody I worked with, also from Essix and he is likeable and pretty much aware of what he is and why he is there. I would prefer it if he did not go through though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D

I think they might put him through David..................
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's clearly just using the program to further her career though isn't she , she's no chance of doing well because as she has already admitted , she's not a very good singer . Imagine Abba week or Big-Band week .

She'd be better releasing a couple of singles with the Loveable Rogues tbh to get things moving.