Christmas Present help please. App recommendations wanted.

Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am completely stuck for a Christmas present for my Stepfather (Age 60). I do know he has an ipad (not sure at the moment which one - if it makes a difference). I am not up on modern technology, but at the moment, my only idea is an itunes voucher so he can get some things he wants - or doesn't realise he wants! He gardens, does a lot of DIY (electrical as well as decorating, laying patios etc), lives near the coast (West Country), is retired. Doesn't listen to music much or play games. Has loads of photos on his big mac and is interested in family history. I had a quick look on itunes, but there are so many, I don't know where to begin. I would like to put some suggestions with the gift card. Is there any which you have found particularly useful? Thank you.

Comments

• ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is normally a top rated section you could browse through, or maybe have a look online for say "best gardening apps"... I do have an iPhone but I don't have many apps on there yet, it's fairly new to me. E.g. a site like this: http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/gardening-apps (though I think the prices are listed in US $).

I think it sounds like a nice idea though, especially if you give him some suggestions. I don't know how many specific apps there are he could use - if you bought him a £25 voucher for example, he could struggle. But I could be wrong, as I said, it's fairly new to me and I haven't really searched for apps yet.
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the reply. I thought I was the only app free person in the world, but it looks as if you are the only person here who uses them! I was really hoping for people to say "I have found this one useful". Perhaps I am right in not bothering with those modern technological things which work with a jab of the finger. They are obviously not popular.:D
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a subscription to a gardening magazine instead? I know nothing about apps but that's the gift idea that jumped out at me reading his description.
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am completely stuck for a Christmas present for my Stepfather (Age 60). I do know he has an ipad (not sure at the moment which one - if it makes a difference). I am not up on modern technology, but at the moment, my only idea is an itunes voucher so he can get some things he wants - or doesn't realise he wants! He gardens, does a lot of DIY (electrical as well as decorating, laying patios etc), lives near the coast (West Country), is retired. Doesn't listen to music much or play games. Has loads of photos on his big mac and is interested in family history. I had a quick look on itunes, but there are so many, I don't know where to begin. I would like to put some suggestions with the gift card. Is there any which you have found particularly useful? Thank you.

does he deserve a present?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    does he deserve a present?

Yes he does.
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Depends what you want to achieve with an app.

But as he values photos, why not get a really good one of your family on the wall where it can be seen?

Photo to canvas prints are really good and it's a more personal present than a voucher.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the family history angle - does he know a lot? If there are lots of things he could still research, then a subscription to Ancestry would be good.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Family tree maker
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Looking at the family history angle - does he know a lot? If there are lots of things he could still research, then a subscription to Ancestry would be good.

He already has ancestry, but most of his ancestors between the 1850s and 1940s lived in India, so I have been researching them at the British Library for him as a lot of the British India information isn't on line.

Does no one have any useful apps, or do you all just play games on your devices?:confused: