Options

Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    Hi all - enjoyed tonight's show, so far I quite like the Cleethorpes ladies although I do think you can be TOO obsessed with cleanliness (all that bleach!). I hate the look of the boutique hotel (hotel again, not a B&B I note) but then I don't like that style but the couple seem great and eh we're very fair with their marks tonight.
    I think that the snakes in the grass this week are the gay couple, sorry I have not got their names yet, just a feeling........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The egg thing was funny! How would a 'breakfast chef' not be able to scramble eggs, and since previous discussions on this forum, even I know the best way to poach an egg!

It's a pity that Ben thinks it was the young couple with the boutique hotel who gave them the low marks, as this does seem to influence people. (It was the male couple).
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    PMSL.......The best question ever...."How do you want your eggs?",,,,"er poached please" "sorry we only do fried"
    Brilliant :D:D:D

Still trying to fathom out why the heck he asked them how they wanted their eggs and then said we only do em fried:confused:Very odd:confused:

I did think today`s host was rather too sure of himself and his product. The other guest house owners were offering what in their opinion, was constructive criticism...but he failed to take it on board, and just dismissed it
  • Options
    Purple OrchidPurple Orchid Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having had a quick 'look' at the websites, I really wish they'd all had them spellchecked!!! And the Bedfordshire guys need to choose a font size & stick to it!
    My head hurts from the dizzying array of sizes :(
    I'd have liked it on their 'About Us' sections if they'd introduced themselves rather than gone on about how fab their business is lol

I can see the carp hitting the fan when Farm Bloke realises he's blaming that young couple for the imo fair comments the blokey couple made....ooooh!!!!
  • Options
    Purple OrchidPurple Orchid Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS... I'm very tempted to email Alfie & ask what he was doing with the loo ;)
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnoali wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily take my own shampoo to a posh b&b, you expect it. Not very good at taking criticism these two.

I always take a particular conditioner, but I'm not at all fussy about shampoo for a short stay, and would expect it to be provided. I would also expect a hairdryer! * See at end.
    SolarSail wrote: »
    I thought it looked lovely today, but a few things let him down.
    Breakfast being one of the major issues, which was odd given that there was someone in chef's whites in the kitchen :confused::D

Agree. I wouldn't have marked the breakfast very highly at all, it was so disorganised. Did anybody see any cerials?
    I dunno, in Glasgow airport its called Skyy Lounge, and if you pay an amount you can go to it, free drinks, wifi, snacks etc. We are flying from Gatwick in September, so was wondering what it was like, or if we're better off going to McDonalds lol.

I've been in the BA Business Class Lounge at Gatwick, and it was good. Don't think I would have paid extra for it though.

*Funny hairdryer story.

About 18 years ago I was staying in Bournemouth on business. Quite a large hotel - but no hairdryer, and I hadn't brought one with me. I rang reception and they said they could lend me one. A member of staff delivered it to my room. Next evening the phone rang, and a really snotty receptionist asked why I hadn't had the courtesy to return the hairdryer. "Because I am here for 3 more nights" I said. "We don't have hundreds of hairdryers you know!" Snotface said with venom. "That's OK. I only need one" I said and put the phone down. When I checked out I made a huge point of returning the hairdryer.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder why establishments that are normally self catering try to do a breakfast? Its mis-representing their business to the viewer and, as tonight (and the yellow bargemarine last week) shows, it can cost them dearly anyway:confused:
    Thought tonights host made a good point about the hairy sausage - why not mention it at the time?

Oh - and as we discovered last week - a hairdrier is an essential part of a B&B stay as you never know when you may need to heat the room up a bit more for your shower;)
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to an "All inclusive" holiday last year - no hairdryer, toiletries, beach towels etc!!
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    We have a black cat.
    He very rarely wanders out of the breakfast room to anywhere else in the house and he doesn't get on any of the furniture at all, but never-the-less, I do seem to find hairs on the linen.

I think it's from when I've put a towel down by the door in bad weather and washed it in the machine, despite the fact that I run the machine on an empty rinse after washing anything he's been in contact with.

I can tell you how many layers I peeled off the roller this weekend for just two lots of king sized linens :(

Back to the programme - am looking forward to the rest of this week.

Habby, I did find the guest house on various booking sites, but something flashed up with a unique url, however, it redirected to an advertising site, not the guest house one

Thats the only way I saw it as well. However it seems a bit silly going on this programme publicising your hotel with no back up online. Are people supposed to book by telepathy?
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The egg thing was funny! How would a 'breakfast chef' not be able to scramble eggs, and since previous discussions on this forum, even I know the best way to poach an egg!

It's a pity that Ben thinks it was the young couple with the boutique hotel who gave them the low marks, as this does seem to influence people. (It was the male couple).

BIB Strange how this has suddenly become an issue in his series.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »

You are not insinuating the production team may have set it up, are you? Shame on you, they would never do such a thing. :rolleyes::D
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I wonder why establishments that are normally self catering try to do a breakfast? Its mis-representing their business to the viewer and, as tonight (and the yellow bargemarine last week) shows, it can cost them dearly anyway:confused:
    Thought tonights host made a good point about the hairy sausage - why not mention it at the time?

Oh - and as we discovered last week - a hairdrier is an essential part of a B&B stay as you never know when you may need to heat the room up a bit more for your shower;)

I know it's hard to complain and if you are the proprietor, hard to hear complaints, but if it were my business I would at least like to be given the chance to put any problems right that may arise. If I were the person who felt I had a valid complaint, especially in a situation like FIAB, I would feel that how my complaint were handled would affect my stay.If you are going to declare out loud to others and camera that you discovered a hair in your food, go and tell the owner there and then.
  • Options
    theidtheid Posts: 6,060
    Forum Member
    Now that we know the programme covers B & B, self-catering and hotel formats I can't understand why everyone gets so fixated about the standard of breakfasts, other than in relation to price.

I found the reaction of the seaside couples, both of whom appeared to hate "the country", very interesting. I suspect they were converted - and Gill certainly seemed to undergo a character transformation from up-tight obsessive to laid-back giggler.
  • Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    You are not insinuating the production team may have set it up, are you? Shame on you, they would never do such a thing. :rolleyes::D

I thought the same. In all the time it's been on, this never happened as far I know, then suddenly two come along at once. it does look suspicious but everyone whose ever come on the thread afterwards will never hear a word about any double-dealing from the production team. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Hi all - enjoyed tonight's show, so far I quite like the Cleethorpes ladies although I do think you can be TOO obsessed with cleanliness (all that bleach!). I hate the look of the boutique hotel (hotel again, not a B&B I note) but then I don't like that style but the couple seem great and eh we're very fair with their marks tonight.
    I think that the snakes in the grass this week are the gay couple, sorry I have not got their names yet, just a feeling........

I couldn't stay in a place that stank of bleach ( and does their brand comply with COSH!:D?). I have no intention of lifting up a shower plug casing so I'd rather take a chance of there being a few hairs there than having an asthma attack from high powered bleach or some horrible spray intended to mask that smell.;)
  • Options
    tynka belltynka bell Posts: 427
    Forum Member

Isn't it strange that in all the previous series of T/FIAB the participants have ALWAYS guessed correctly who the forms were filled in by. This series, for the second time, someone has guessed wrongly and will be needlessly spiteful because their mistake.

Edit: See others have the same thought as me!!! Must learn to refresh my browser more often!!
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I really cannot fathom the attitude some of these people have towards their businesses. The guy last night was typical of the type - dismissing constructive criticism with, 'Well, that's their opinion!' Um, you work in the hospitality industry - surely the customers' opinions are key?

Not impressed by the attitude or the grubbiness and lack of organisation. Why was he drinking tea in the kitchen, rather than looking after his guests? Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »

Moi!

No!

They wouldn't need to set anything up if in the past a clue /hint was given. The B&Bers seem to have a 100% record before this series and now?! :rolleyes:

I think that this series they have decided not to hint/or tell. Hence they are confused over who wrote what!;)

tynka bell - Me too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    I thought the same. In all the time it's been on, this never happened as far I know, then suddenly two come along at once. it does look suspicious but everyone whose ever come on the thread afterwards will never hear a word about any double-dealing from the production team. :confused:

It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it. ;)
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder whether FIAB is making the same mistake that Coach Trip made? Where the visitors would get a tour of the local scenery, maybe visit a couple of important sites, they now engage in a pretty trivial demonstration and competition.

While such things can be fun for those taking part, it doesn't make for enthralling viewing.

To me, that was what became wrong with CT (that, and spending half each episode on the voting).

It's reached the point that the only thing left of interest is the breakfast.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to get a glimpse of local area, attractions as in the very first series of TIAB. I realise that some places, such as Blackpool are revisited, but there are surrounding towns, countryside, villages, beaches and museums. Actually, I would like to see a bit less of Blackpool on this show.
    I lose interest at self catering and glamping places, I prefer the b&b and hotel programs, there is such a variety, it's been a real eye opener for me.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Thats the only way I saw it as well. However it seems a bit silly going on this programme publicising your hotel with no back up online. Are people supposed to book by telepathy?
    A surprising (to me) number of people with small properties that they run themselves choose to advertise just on listing / booking sites and possibly via tourist info offices and local holiday brochures.

Using booking sites means the online presence is managed for them. Their availability calendar (can be very time-consuming to manage) terms & conditions, and payments are all dealt with for them. There's no hosting to arrange, no website to be built and maintained and kept secure. This can be appealing.

Downside is the booking sites usually charge about 20% commission for the privilege of getting each booking. This comes out of the room price paid by the booking site to the owner - the guest doesn't pay it directly though of course it's going to be factored into the room prices to start with.

Googling Amber Guest House delivers lots of page 1 Google listings on, for eg, booking.com, hotelscombined.com, agoda.com and you can even make a booking via their TripAdvisor listing. So they are there online and you can get online availability and book - just not via their own website. No doubt regular customers just phone and make a booking so the personal touch is also there.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Re the eggs, maybe he was just asking how would people like them fried. Still, only offering fried was a bit strange. It looked like a lovely place, though it seemed to be set up more as a self-catering than b&b.
    Having had a quick 'look' at the websites, I really wish they'd all had them spellchecked!!! And the Bedfordshire guys need to choose a font size & stick to it!
    And don't centre align the content, it makes it really hard to read. Mind you the fonts on the boutique hotel aren't much better.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Re the eggs, maybe he was just asking how would people like them fried. Still, only offering fried was a bit strange. It looked like a lovely place, though it seemed to be set up more as a self-catering than b&b.

And don't centre align the content, it makes it really hard to read. Mind you the fonts on the boutique hotel aren't much better.

I don't see any mention of breakfast on the website so I think its Self Catering and they brought someone in specifically for the competition, especially with it being outdoors, I'd love to see the guests try that now! :P
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    Lizaj wrote: »
    I couldn't stay in a place that stank of bleach ( and does their brand comply with COSH!:D?). I have no intention of lifting up a shower plug casing so I'd rather take a chance of there being a few hairs there than having an asthma attack from high powered bleach or some horrible spray intended to mask that smell.;)

Me neither.
    I have two dogs that do not moult but I have to brush them so dog hairs do tend to get all over the place. You carry them upstairs on clothes, shoes etc. I vacuum every day and have never had a complaint about dog hairs - seems to me that some of the 4IABer's are too obsessed with almost wanting sterilised places rather than clean???
This discussion has been closed.