Lamb over sell by date. Will it be OK?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a half leg of lamb in the fridge which has a use by today sell by date. Am I OK to leave cooking it until tomorrow and have the left overs on the following day?

Comments

• fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Is it a 'sell by' date or a 'use by' date?

Either way I'd give it a smell.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes once you cook it you start a new clock as it were.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it`ll be fine, give it a sniff if you`re unsure.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    If it smells ok and doesn't have maggots crawling out of it and isn't a totally disgusting colour then yes.
    (I'm joking bout the maggots and colour by the way, just go by the smell)
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    froglet wrote: »
    I have a half leg of lamb in the fridge which has a use by today sell by date. Am I OK to leave cooking it until tomorrow and have the left overs on the following day?

It's fine to eat it just one day after the use by date, supermarkets know that some people eat things a day or two after the use by date, so in order to protect themselves they put a date that's in advance of the 'true' date it would start to go off.

Leaving it several days is a no no..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, providing you have stored it correctly, it should be fine. If it's vacuum wrapped leave it open for 10 minutes before you smell it. Lots of meat well within the use by date smell awful straight from that kind of wrap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all. I shall risk leaving it in the pack for an extra day- it looks fine- and give it a good sniff before I roast it.
    :)
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    It will probably be fine for several days. Just think of it as being more matured like a well hung beef.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no gentle way to break this to you OP; but if the lamb is is past its "use by" date then it is almost certainly dead, and the best thing you can do now is to eat it! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    There's no gentle way to break this to you OP; but if the lamb is is past its "use by" date then it is almost certainly dead, and the best thing you can do now is to eat it! :)

:D It hadn't moved much. I was beginning to wonder. :D
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did the OP survive?

I've just put a leg of lamb in dated 'use by' the 8th and today is the 10th...

wish me luck..:p
  • Willow33Willow33 Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jackapple wrote: »
    Did the OP survive?

I've just put a leg of lamb in dated 'use by' the 8th and today is the 10th...

wish me luck..:p

Hasn't been seen since :o
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the OP's going to return to tell us how they got on. Even if it's through a medium.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I hope the OP's going to return to tell us how they got on. Even if it's through a medium.

That's quite rare on here but well done for trying.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willow33 wrote: »
    Hasn't been seen since :o

He's barred
  • Hut275658Hut275658 Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    froglet wrote: »

There never used to be sell by dates or best before dates on anything, also when you buy from a fresh meat from proper Butcher there are no dates or comments on your purchase.
  • CJ PoojapetalCJ Poojapetal Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I have peered into the mists through my magnificent balls and can see many lambs walking on fluffy clouds and a most big shepherd with a beard.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I can not believe we live in a society where people have to go on the internet to make a decision as to whether or not to eat food on a given day.

There is a fish pie in my fridge for lunch without a label on it. I you do not hear from me again,,,,,,,,,:o
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's quite rare on here but well done for trying.

:D:D:D
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A day over a sell-by date isn't going to do much harm. People are far too precious about these things. Something's a nano-second over the sell-by date and it's suddenly going to kill you. I knew a French woman who purposefully bought reduced items close to their sell-by dates and ate them out of date as she thought they had more flavour.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »
    I knew a French woman who purposefully bought reduced items close to their sell-by dates and ate them out of date as she thought they had more flavour.

I do that with ladies knickers. :cool:
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,474
    Forum Member
    Out of date lamb has to be a bit of a gambol! :D