Oh shut UP about your boring baby

Comments

• Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I work with someone who talks about nothing but her child. I kind of just screen it out and don't let it bother me and I certainly wouldn't have any interest in going onto her facebook page to get yet more updates and see more photographs.
    As other people have said, a small baby takes up a huge part of your time so it's probably difficult to focus on other things, or to remember that other people aren't really that interested in the baby.
    The only time it really annoys me is when a new mum starts trying to patronise friends or colleagues without children and behaving as if she's part of some superior and exclusive little club. But people who behave like that would probably find something else to be smug and important about if they didn't have a baby.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is intersting to see which people become like this when they have their first children. It's never the people you think it will be.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    Our ancestors would be spinning in their graves. Thousands of years ago they would just pop out the babby, by the next day they would be going to gather berries and plants. Ok, so maybe childbirth was more dangerous back then, but the women who survived would be back gathering food. Modern women have it easy in comparison. Oh and because of this, we have to continually hear about it via Facebook etc.

I was back cooking and doing housework within hours of having mine. We don't put our feet up for a few weeks, you know!
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baby bores annoy me too. I've friends with babies who barely mention them, they'll say if something funny has happened or something genuinely interesting but on the whole you wouldn't really know they had kids and they actually have lives. This seems normal to me. It's the ones who have no lives whatsoever and have no other topic of conversation other than babies that annoy me. It's almost as if they've completely lost their identity, they cease to be a person in their own right and just become a "mummy" (or "daddy", although it seems to happen more with women).

My wife is currently pregnant as is a friend of hers. The only time my wife has mentioned being pregnant on Facebook was when she first announced it. Her friend posts something every couple of days and she always mentions that she's pregnant, even if it's irrelevant she manages to shoe horn it in.

I'm already annoyed by the baby bores that seem to think that now I'm going to be a dad we've suddenly got something in common so should be friends and talk about kids. Just because I'm having a kid doesn't mean it's all I want to talk about or that I suddenly find yours interesting, I don't, other peoples kids still bore me and I don't want to bang on about babies all the time.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    It's not just Facebook even on forums people seem unable to post without mention of pregnancy/ having a baby even in irrelevant topics
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What does this mean, exactly? :confused:
    The child has a name that doesn't identify them as a boy or a girl and the mother dresses the child in trousers/dresses/tights etc in sparkly pink or baby blue, and the child has dolls and cars to play with. She intends to home school the child too, so they're not exposed to gender specific stuff.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never mind people talking about their children or babies as long as they listen to me going on about my dogs LOL I find change the subject to something else usually stops them especially if you can obsess a bit about the subject :p
  • CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    It will pass - I have four friends with kids, all under 4 and it's only just now you can sit with them altogether and only 60% of the conversation is about their kids. They all went away for a weekend together and my best friend was surprised that they didn't talk more about other things, like politics or whatever. When she told me this I loooked at her like :confused: I've spent four years listening to nothing but baby talk!
    Forum Member
    Once the kids get a bit older and are at school for most of the day, the majority of these mums start to drift back to work/social lives/other things and their topics of conversation start to broaden out again. In a few years' time they'll probably be complaining about some baby bore in work who never shuts up about their little precious.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,870
    Forum Member
    The baby bores don't annoy me as much as the ones who are constantly posting about their "perfect boyfriends/girlfriends" and how amazing their relationship is and "I love u babes" status'. Now that is boring and I've hidden people from my fb feed because of it. One girl got married over a year ago yet still insists on posting the same old wedding pics over and over. The baby posts don't annoy me, I've a couple of friends who have managed to become pregnant after being told they would never have children so I genuinely share their pleasure as they post their scan and bump pics then later the baby pics and stories. Saying that though, I don't need graphic details of little johnny's nappy contents and first time on the potty!
    Forum Member
    The baby bores don't annoy me as much as the ones who are constantly posting about their "perfect boyfriends/girlfriends" and how amazing their relationship is and "I love u babes" status'. Now that is boring and I've hidden people from my fb feed because of it. One girl got married over a year ago yet still insists on posting the same old wedding pics over and over. The baby posts don't annoy me, I've a couple of friends who have managed to become pregnant after being told they would never have children so I genuinely share their pleasure as they post their scan and bump pics then later the baby pics and stories. Saying that though, I don't need graphic details of little johnny's nappy contents and first time on the potty!

That's nice. But I also think people in that situation should bear in mind how painful it was for them to hear about other people's pregnancies and babies when they were dying to be pregnant themselves and not go overboard with the baby updates. Not saying they shouldn't be excited and talk about it, just be a bit sensitive to those still in the situation they once found themselves.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attention seeking im afraid,so many people treat their kids as fashion accessories. If im ever lucky to conceive nothing will be going up on fb no photos no statuses. the people who need to know will know. I was disgusted to see photos of someone putting their newborn baby on a little dog. that is animal cruelty and just showing off
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's nice. But I also think people in that situation should bear in mind how painful it was for them to hear about other people's pregnancies and babies when they were dying to be pregnant themselves and not go overboard with the baby updates. Not saying they shouldn't be excited and talk about it, just be a bit sensitive to those still in the situation they once found themselves.

Im one of those who has to put up with cr*p. Ive been trying to get pregnant for three years. i hardly use fb anymore because im tired of seeing the constant cr*p from people. they dont think how they are affecting people its just all me me me. these days its all just attention seeking oh how many likes and comments can i get for posting a picture of my brat wearing a santa outfit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    The child has a name that doesn't identify them as a boy or a girl and the mother dresses the child in trousers/dresses/tights etc in sparkly pink or baby blue, and the child has dolls and cars to play with. She intends to home school the child too, so they're not exposed to gender specific stuff.

Aaagh! I hate idiological home schooling. :(

I did my gender neutral bit when my children were little, but am sure I am not the only parent whose daughters have plodded dutifully through the home electronics kit I bought them, then returned with relief to their My Little Ponies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Meh - you couldn't be more right - but the reality is always uncomfortable.

A small automatically becomes your life. Despite your best intentions, you will be full to the brim with the your very short.

Never imagine that other parents are any more boring than you - and rejoice in the fact that they act as a reminder.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I don't bother really about seeing my Facebook friends' kids. There is one woman though who is an obvious mumsnet user, and her and the other "Stockport Mummies" she seems to hang around with are all the same. They really grate with their right on, twee bullshit.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's natures fault. New parents are drugged to the eyeballs with hormones designed to stop them killing their young, as a result they make about as much sense as someone who has taken large quantities of e
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    Oh well, each to his/her own. You thinking it's crap doesn't actually make it crap.

i think it's crap too, is it crap now :confused:
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,999
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    As someone who apparantly "never stops banging on about their daughter" on here, I actually agree with you, OP.
    I know people who use Facebook and the likes as a blog to keep the world updated about their baby's every fart, informing those hardened enough to read it about the consitency of their bairn's last shit.

I'm all for being a proud parent and harping on about my little girl but some people take it too far.

But WHY the need to "harp" on at all. People without kids (and some with) DON'T. WANT. TO. HEAR. IT. Why not just be proud and leave at that.

The problem is your child (not directed at you) is only of interest to you and really, very very few other people. I wish folks would get that but they simply don't.

I am not on Facebook or anything like that so I am saved from an ordinate amount of drivel, by the sounds of this thread and the "worst facebook statuses" thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do have a choice, y'know.

Admittedly, I do find it strange for parents to post some of the things they post on sites like Facebook...BUT, as mentioned already, simply not looking at their page, blocking their feeds, etc., goes a long way to saving any over exposure to their 'bundle of joy'. I post a few photos, comments about my "lil' dude", but after checking on Facebook, my album called "The Dude" has 49 photos in it - a reasonable amount I'd say for someone whose just turned the big 8...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    But WHY the need to "harp" on at all. People without kids (and some with) DON'T. WANT. TO. HEAR. IT. Why not just be proud and leave at that.

The problem is your child (not directed at you) is only of interest to you and really, very very few other people. I wish folks would get that but they simply don't.

I am not on Facebook or anything like that so I am saved from an ordinate amount of drivel, by the sounds of this thread and the "worst facebook statuses" thread.

What do you harp on about?
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    What do you harp on about?

Nothing much, if I can help it. Next question?
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My grandson was born abroad last year, all his many relatives and friends around the world have been delighted with the many updates of his progress. If its that boring block them. FB serves different purposes for different people. If you have hundreds of friends then you will get loads of posts that don't interest you, either just have people who largely share your interests or ignore those posts that don't interest you.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »

Speak for yourself.
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Speak for yourself.

I'm echoing quite a lot of people here - I would have thought that was obvious. Gordon Bennett, some people really do take things absolutely literally.