Am I the only one who believed Brian didn't know who Shakespeare was?

Comments

• PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biomorph04 wrote: »
    is that true or do you assume that everyone does shakespere?

As far as I know it's on the curriculum for GCSE's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member

It certainly used to be true. Not sure if all English exam boards still feature him or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,298
    Forum Member

It's true as far as I'm aware. Is it not compulsory?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it was an act, and if it was then that is the saddest thing of all, surely?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe anyone his age in this day and age coming from England especially hasn't heard of shakespeare but I was wondering how it could be possible. Let's say for the sake of argument somone regularly skipped school didn't get a GCSE in English, they've never seen any of the movies, they're not into reading or anything even vaugely cultural. Maybe just maybe it's possible but even so there are so many references to shakespeare everywhere theres no way he couldn't have heard the name
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have believed him if he had stopped acting confused at the point when it was explained to him that Shakespeare was a playwright who had lived hundreds (although one of them may have said "thousands of millions" :rolleyes: ) of years ago.

"Thousands of millions of years ago?!?!" says Brian "then how come anyone knows who he is?!?"

That's not a lack of knowledge he's demonstrating, it's a lack of reasoning ability, it's a lack of basic awareness about how the world works.

A "durr!!!" too far, I'm afraid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He seems to have a good vocab and work in IT.?.......oh never mind ..*just remembered my works IT people*

s'pose hes only 19?! ....it was the bit where he said something like 'the guy from so solid?!'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ratsphlem wrote: »
    I don't think it was an act, and if it was then that is the saddest thing of all, surely?

I remember him saying a little while back that he would like to go to museums and stuff but he'd rather hang out with his mates down Lakeside etc. He was worried how that might make him look. That's why he was asking the questions- he wondered whether this "Shakespeare geezer" was something he ought to know about.
    Forum Member
    _babydoll_ wrote: »
    I can't believe anyone his age in this day and age coming from England especially hasn't heard of shakespeare but I was wondering how it could be possible. Let's say for the sake of argument somone regularly skipped school didn't get a GCSE in English, they've never seen any of the movies, they're not into reading or anything even vaugely cultural. Maybe just maybe it's possible but even so there are so many references to shakespeare everywhere theres no way he couldn't have heard the name

Hmmmm, if he didn't attend school when Shakespeare was being mentioned (which would be on many occasions), he might have avoided it. In everyday non-school life, I hardly ever hear Shakespeare mentioned
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure we all have to do him for GCSE.
  • JulianaJuliana Posts: 4,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was however intelligent enough to win a place at university. Quite a feat.

Studying what?
  • goldenhairgoldenhair Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helen....Jade.....Nikki.....now Brian. Oh these people are out there all right!. This programme says more about the British education system than any politician ever could.
    Forum Member
    froglet wrote: »
    I remember him saying a little while back that he would like to go to museums and stuff but he'd rather hang out with his mates down Lakeside etc. He was worried how that might make him look. That's why he was asking the questions- he wondered whether this "Shakespeare geezer" was something he ought to know about.

He seemed to very quickly remember the words 'Shakespeare' and 'Romeo and Juliet' which I think would be surprising for someone whose never heard of them before. They aren't normal names after all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Juliana wrote: »
    Studying what?

And where?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Brian's birthday falls in July or August and he was able to leave school early and did not complete his GCSEs
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,606
    Forum Member
    You know my view on this, froglet. As I said in the other thread, I don't buy it. His command of the English language just doesn't square with the image of someone who didn't pay attention in English class to the point of never having heard of Shakespeare or Romeo and Juliet. I have just checked out his profile at the top of the page and it seems he admires Mike Skinner. Again, that betrays an interest in language that contradicts the image he is trying to portray.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dunkan wrote: »
    He seemed to very quickly remember the words 'Shakespeare' and 'Romeo and Juliet' which I think would be surprising for someone whose never heard of them before. They aren't normal names after all.

The whole thing is odd, which is why we're puzzling over it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goldenhair wrote: »
    Helen....Jade.....Nikki.....now Brian. Oh these people are out there all right!. This programme says more about the British education system than any politician ever could.

True.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Plant wrote: »
    You don't have to have gone to RADA to act a bit thick.

He convinced me! I think he deserves an Oscar if he's lying.....:D
  • wrigleyswrigleys Posts: 2,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    froglet wrote: »
    I am in a minority of one so far as I can see. I can understand the reasons which people are giving for their disbelief, but I believed him- on first hearing at least.

I believe him; like he said he didnt pay much attention at school. I'm sure he's not the only one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    You know my view on this, froglet. As I said in the other thread, I don't buy it. His command of the English language just doesn't square with the image of someone who didn't pay attention in English class to the point of never having heard of Shakespeare or Romeo and Juliet. I have just checked out his profile at the top of the page and it seems he admires Mike Skinner. Again, that betrays an interest in language that contradicts the image he is trying to portray.

My nephew uses big words in context all the time but when asked what they mean he hasn't a clue.

He hears them on the telly :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »

I know- and I can see where you are coming from. That's what's puzzling me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dunkan wrote: »

He's maybe seen the movie. It was all about gangs and stuff innit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was so obviously hamming it up. He's a bad liar and believe me I've known quite a few. :)
    Forum Member
    Juliana wrote: »
    He's maybe seen the movie. It was all about gangs and stuff innit.

Yeah and the gangs shake their spears at each other!

Hmm, that sounded a bit saucy!