Mad Men.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can't find another thread about it (amazingly) so I am starting one to celebrate the genius that is Mad Men. Doesn't mean you can't criticise it, just putting my cards on the table from the off.

Beautifully written, makes its points without banging you over the head, and beautifully acted. Looks great too. I am loving it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=780199&highlight=Mad+Men

Switched off after episode 5 because it didn't really seem to be going anywhere. I've wrote a detailed review of it here:

http://www.tv.com/mad-men/smoke-gets-in-your-eyes/episode/1103135/reviews.html?review_id=495488&flag=
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=780199&highlight=Mad+Men

Switched off after episode 5 because it didn't really seem to be going anywhere. I've wrote a detailed review of it here:

http://www.tv.com/mad-men/smoke-gets-in-your-eyes/episode/1103135/reviews.html?review_id=495488&flag=

I can see where you are coming from- but it works really well for me. I like the slow burn and the attention to detail. I particularly like the way that they will use small issues to flag up character and plot development.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love it - and I couldn't find a thread on it either, so thank you for starting this one. It's one of only two programmes that I "must see" at the moment (the other is the Apprentice). Each episode is beautifully crafted and really whizzes along, sucking you into the characters and giving away just enough about them to make you HAVE to watch again. I'm gutted when each ep ends... it's been a while since I felt that way about any programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you Lady Muck- it really does suck you in. It can be very funny too. There are so many little time bombs ticking away in the plot now that it's going to be very interesting when one or two go off.

I am wondering whether Peggy is pregnant.
  • CyberdameCyberdame Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    The attention to detail is superb and I love all those fashions with the fantastic flared dresses and tiny waists.

It's a must-watch in this house.

Caroline
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    froglet wrote: »
    Can't find another thread about it (amazingly) so I am starting one to celebrate the genius that is Mad Men. Doesn't mean you can't criticise it, just putting my cards on the table from the off.

Beautifully written, makes its points without banging you over the head, and beautifully acted. Looks great too. I am loving it.

Have to agree. Alongside the Sopranos, I find it the best TV series to have come out of the US in many years. Can't see it appealing to the under 30s or those with short attention spans, which rules out the majority of viewers, sadly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough, I'd seached for a forum too and hadn't spotted one, but was really keen to say something! (Having read the comments on the other thread, I'm sticking to this one!)

I'd Sky-plussed the show and started watching it over the weekend and I'm absolutely hooked! It's sublime, from the oh so cool opening credits to the carefully chosen song at the end.

I love that the pace is so slow! I love the interesting, complex characters. I love the attention to detail.

Not since The West Wing have I enjoyed a series so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Worth watching just for the clothes and interiors which seem to capture the height of the post-war age of affluence in the US.

The more we learn about Donald Draper, the less we like him. Really appalling how he managed to thwart his wife's attempt at going back to work this week.

Also interesting to note that the "60's" were not such an age of liberation- certainly not until the very end of the decade.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,036
    Forum Member
    Glad to see a thread praising this show, its a magnificent piece of work.
  • baggiovalderrambaggiovalderram Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoying this show....the 45 minutes go very quickly and all the characters are evolving albeit at different levels....a quality representation of the 60's....
  • gadflygadfly Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see that others appreciate this series too. It's gorgeously produced, beautifully acted, and has an intense authenticity about it, which is simply breath-taking. All-round, this is superb TV, worthy of the awards it has scooped Stateside.

I agree with another poster that Peggy might well be pregnant - the sudden weight gain is a giveaway. And of course a pregnancy would be terrible timing because she has the potential to advance her career.

The misogyny of the period is horrific! I read a Guardian interview with John Hamm (Draper) where the interviewer said, that for all his faults, you still root for him. I can't do this. Sure, he's super-cool, clever and fascinating, but I hate how he treats his wife, who is actually a unique and multi-faceted character in her own right, though he never sees it, and want him to get his comeuppance. Maybe Rachel Mencken can break his heart, and then his wife leave him too? That'd have me smiling.

For all that, the wit and banter between the guys is brilliantly done and perfectly written.

So glad a 2nd series is in the works.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gadfly wrote: »
    Good to see that others appreciate this series too. It's gorgeously produced, beautifully acted, and has an intense authenticity about it, which is simply breath-taking. All-round, this is superb TV, worthy of the awards it has scooped Stateside.

I agree with another poster that Peggy might well be pregnant - the sudden weight gain is a giveaway. And of course a pregnancy would be terrible timing because she has the potential to advance her career.

The misogyny of the period is horrific! I read a Guardian interview with John Hamm (Draper) where the interviewer said, that for all his faults, you still root for him. I can't do this. Sure, he's super-cool, clever and fascinating, but I hate how he treats his wife, who is actually a unique and multi-faceted character in her own right, though he never sees it, and want him to get his comeuppance. Maybe Rachel Mencken can break his heart, and then his wife leave him too? That'd have me smiling.

For all that, the wit and banter between the guys is brilliantly done and perfectly written.

I must say I am still rooting for him. They all seem such victims of their own circumstances and social situations. Draper seems messed up but with no way of dealing with it.

I cannot bear Pete Campbell (what does Peggy see in him?!) but he is a totally believeable character.

Having grown up watching 'Bewitched' it's so interesting to see what 'Darren's' life would really have been like!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrimmidge wrote: »
    I must say I am still rooting for him. They all seem such victims of their own circumstances and social situations. Draper seems messed up but with no way of dealing with it.

I cannot bear Pete Campbell (what does Peggy see in him?!) but he is a totally believeable character.

Having grown up watching 'Bewitched' it's so interesting to see what 'Darren's' life would really have been like!

I so agree with you.

Remembering Darren made me laugh. That lot would have made mincemeat of dear old Darren! :D

They are all victims of their circumstances, both in terms of their families and the times that they lived in. That's one of the major fascinations of it. Pete Campbell's father has a lot to answer for and so do Don's parents.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cambrian wrote: »
    The more we learn about Donald Draper, the less we like him. Really appalling how he managed to thwart his wife's attempt at going back to work this week.

I thought that the agency ditched her in retaliation for the fact that he wouldn't move over to work for them. Don is most definitely a flawed character but I thought he found the fact that she was getting out there and being looked at and admired quite a turn on, and was quite positive about it. It was very late- I usually watch it on BBC2 so I may have missed something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    G

All hell will break lose if she is. What is Pete going to do? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    G

All hell will break lose if she is. What is Pete going to do? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    froglet wrote: »
    I thought that the agency ditched her in retaliation for the fact that he wouldn't move over to work for them. Don is most definitely a flawed character but I thought he found the fact that she was getting out there and being looked at and admired quite a turn on, and was quite positive about it. It was very late- I usually watch it on BBC2 so I may have missed something.

I thought that it was the pictures of his wife which swung against him going to that other company. He seemed to be entertaining the notion, until he saw those pictures. Seeing his wife gain a little independence (or so she thinks) and attention IMO kiboshed the idea in favour of Stirling Cooper. Just my take.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that it was the pictures of his wife which swung against him going to that other company. He seemed to be entertaining the notion, until he saw those pictures. Seeing his wife gain a little independence (or so she thinks) and attention IMO kiboshed the idea in favour of Stirling Cooper. Just my take.

Ah, I can see that, yes. It may have been just the final decision which was taken out of his hands by the other agency getting rid anyway. I thought it was a really telling little scene when he got home that day and neither of them were admitting what they really thought.

I get the feeling that one day Don is going to blow like a volcano. Not once have we seen him out of control and he has a lot of pressures on him. There is very little about Don and his real feelings that we can be sure of so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member

I read that differently. I think he was as supportive as a man in that era could be, but he didn't like that the other company was so blatantly using his wife to pressure him to take their job offer. When she lied about changing her mind about going back to work, he was tactful enough to go along with it even when he knew the truth - that the company dropped her once Don turned them down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blue note wrote: »
    I read that differently. I think he was as supportive as a man in that era could be, but he didn't like that the other company was so blatantly using his wife to pressure him to take their job offer. When she lied about changing her mind about going back to work, he was tactful enough to go along with it even when he knew the truth - that the company dropped her once Don turned them down.

That's how I saw it too.
  • JauntyMontyJauntyMonty Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I thought one or two of the earlier episodes were a little weak but overall I'm really enjoying it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely love Mad Men. What a refreshing change to watch something so intelligent.
  • GlenLGlenL Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyberdame wrote: »
    The attention to detail is superb and I love all those fashions with the fantastic flared dresses and tiny waists.

It's a must-watch in this house.

Caroline

It's like a 'modern' day costume drama in a way.

The suits, ties, dresses ... even the office furniture, it all looks so stylish.

I'm loving it.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty good show, although they never seem to go outside :o
  • CaptainPlanetoCaptainPlaneto Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The production quality of the show is just phenomenal for a drama series, it carries the show by itself.
This discussion has been closed.