Mad Men.

Comments

• SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No coments on the show's return?

I watched it, but as usual I don't know if I enjoyed it or not. In fact, I don't really understand why I watch it at all. I always feel not much has happened, but I still find the show compelling for some reason.

I did feel sorry for the way Roger treated Ken, seeming to enjoy the moment, but was happy Ken got his revenge in the end. I also liked that Don was ready to go to bat for him. Who was the guy in the room with Roger when they fired Ken? Was he a client, or was he a company director? They keep merging and buying other agencies that I've lost track of who is in charge.

I didn't really get the waitress thing. Was she a prostitute that Don had used before, hence her thinking he was after a $100 quicky?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    SXTony wrote: »
    I watched it, but as usual I don't know if I enjoyed it or not. In fact, I don't really understand why I watch it at all. I always feel not much has happened, but I still find the show compelling for some reason.

I didn't really get the waitress thing. Was she a prostitute that Don had used before, hence her thinking he was after a $100 quicky?

Agree with you on the first comment, at least it's the home stretch, even though it's still a much watch show I don't know why.

I've been mulling this over, I haven't got a clue... nor do I have any idea as to where they're going to head with it in the limited amount of episodes left.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did feel sorry for the way Roger treated Ken, seeming to enjoy the moment, but was happy Ken got his revenge in the end. I also liked that Don was ready to go to bat for him. Who was the guy in the room with Roger when they fired Ken? Was he a client, or was he a company director? They keep merging and buying other agencies that I've lost track of who is in charge.

I don't know why people haven't commented on last week's episode since it's been back, but the show hasn't been the same for some years now. At least for me not since Season 4. It's still a compelling and interesting show for me but it's lost its sparkle. These days I watch and shrug my shoulders because it feels like the same repetitive stuff. Maybe that is the whole point the show, about life itself. Doesn't matter what an ad says or what message it tries to sell you via consumer culture. You can't buy the perfect life because a 'perfect' life (whatever that is) does not exist, or at least it can't be manufactured out of conusmer goods and its lifestyles if it does.

The guy in the room with Roger works for the ad firm (McCann Eriksson), the firm bought over SCDP (and other additional alphabets I forget which ones) last season. He wanted Roger to sack Ken for backstabbing McCann Eriksson over a client (Don Chemical) whose CEO is Ken's father-in-law.

The waitress thing: Roger left a $100 tip for her on his and Don's previous visit. When Don came in for a chat later on, she thought he was propositioning her. She said something along the lines of "You don't have to say anything; I know what you are here for." Except having sex wasn't what Don wanted (though that didn't stop him) - the waitress merely reminded him of Rachel the only woman who seemed to connect with him in Seasons 1 & 2, and he simply wanted to talk with her. (He and Rachel shared a common history of childhood abandonment by their mothers. I think Rachel's mother died giving birth to Rachel as did Don's.) All thoughout the day, there had been this pitching scene with women wearing fur coats and Don kept seeing Rachel, except it wasn't real (i.e. it wasn't really Rachel he was seeing). He later got wind of the news that Rachel had died a few days or a week ago. So in a way having sex with the waitress wasn't with the waitress per se but rather he was having it with "Rachel". It was as if his unconscious mind was bringing up to the surface all this latent stuff of the past his mind had buried as Don continues to undergo his existential bewilderment since he told everyone the truth about himself.

PS: Don't worry:) I too get lost with who is who and what is what in these final days of the show. :blush::p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    I don't know why people haven't commented on last week's episode since it's been back, but the show hasn't been the same for some years now. At least for me not since Season 4. It's still a compelling and interesting show for me but it's lost its sparkle. These days I watch and shrug my shoulders because it feels like the same repetitive stuff. Maybe that is the whole point the show, about life itself. Doesn't matter what an ad says or what message it tries to sell you via consumer culture. You can't buy the perfect life because a 'perfect' life (whatever that is) does not exist, or at least it can't be manufactured out of conusmer goods and its lifestyles if it does.

The guy in the room with Roger works for the ad firm (McCann Eriksson), the firm bought over SCDP (and other additional alphabets I forget which ones) last season. He wanted Roger to sack Ken for backstabbing McCann Eriksson over a client (Don Chemical) whose CEO is Ken's father-in-law.

The waitress thing: Roger left a $100 tip for her on his and Don's previous visit. When Don came in for a chat later on, she thought he was propositioning her. She said something along the lines of "You don't have to say anything; I know what you are here for." Except having sex wasn't what Don wanted (though that didn't stop him) - the waitress merely reminded him of Rachel the only woman who seemed to connect with him in Seasons 1 & 2, and he simply wanted to talk with her. (He and Rachel shared a common history of childhood abandonment by their mothers. I think Rachel's mother died giving birth to Rachel as did Don's.) All thoughout the day, there had been this pitching scene with women wearing fur coats and Don kept seeing Rachel, except it wasn't real (i.e. it wasn't really Rachel he was seeing). He later got wind of the news that Rachel had died a few days or a week ago. So in a way having sex with the waitress wasn't with the waitress per se but rather he was having it with "Rachel". It was as if his unconscious mind was bringing up to the surface all this latent stuff of the past his mind had buried as Don continues to undergo his existential bewilderment since he told everyone the truth about himself.

PS: Don't worry:) I too get lost with who is who and what is what in these final days of the show. :blush::p:D

Thanks for that, I got the idea she thought thought he was coming back to get get value for money for Roger's tip, even though he only left it cos he was being a dick to her. But I completely missed that he was looking at her as if she was Rachel, even though I got that he had imagined her earlier on. At least I remembered who she was :)

I don't rememer them being taken over by McCann. The last change I remember was when they merged with the company Ted and Peggy worked at to get the car contract. That wasn't McCann, was it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't rememer them being taken over by McCann. The last change I remember was when they merged with the company Ted and Peggy worked at to get the car contract. That wasn't McCann, was it?

Here's the Ken snippet from the Guardian recapping that episode :):

Ken Cosgrove took a central role with his defenestration at the hands of SC&P’s supposedly independent new owner, McCann. (Cosgrove rubbed them up the wrong way when the old company was sold and he worked there.)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not a recap of the McCann takeover episode though (which is what SXTony doesn't remember) - that's a recap of last week's episode, which SXTony has seen.

SXTony -

Season 7, episode 7 - Waterloo (the "mid-season" finale):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Men_%28season_7%29#Episodes

Wikipedia wrote:
    In the days leading up to the first moon landing, Don receives a letter stating that he is being fired for breach of contract due to his presence at the meeting that Jim and Lou had arranged with Phillip Morris. Don storms upstairs to confront the partners and learns that Jim initiated the letter without informing the other partners. Don quashes Jim's effort by appealing to Roger and Bert for support and demanding an immediate vote on his continued employment, which he wins. Later, Don calls Megan to share the news about the attempt to fire him and suggests that he might go to California but she asks him not to and instead implies that she wants to end their marriage. He promises to take care of her. She tells him he owes her nothing and bids him goodbye. Ted Chaough flies several executives in his airplane, and impulsively switches off the engine mid-flight while discussing his possible suicidal thoughts. This terrifies the executives, and Ted subsequently announces he wishes to leave the agency, and asks the other partners to buy out his shares. Over the weekend, members of SC&P watch the moon landing from various locations: Don, Peggy, Pete and Harry are together in Indianapolis where they are preparing the pitch to Burger Chef; Roger, Mona, Brooks, and Ellery are together in his apartment; and Bert is home watching with his maid. The Francises have company for the weekend and are also tuned in. Sally seems smitten with the family's oldest son but immediately after the landing goes out to the back yard and kisses the younger, more bookish son who is closer to her age. Minutes after the landing Roger receives a call that Bert has died. He and Joan arrive at the office in a somber mood and are surprised to find Jim, who now feels that he has the votes to oust Don and assume greater control of the agency. Roger calls to inform Don of Bert's death, and given his uncertain job status Don decides that Peggy needs to lead the presentation to Burger Chef. As a counter to Jim, Roger holds a secret meeting with a McCann Erickson executive who previously approached him about buying SC&P. He negotiates a deal to sell 51% of SC&P and make it an independent subsidiary of McCann, with the stipulation that Roger, Don, and Ted each sign five-year contracts. (Jim will receive his share for the sale, but Roger makes sure that McCann-Erickson offers him no job.) Ted expresses his desire to cash out his partnership and leave advertising. Don convinces Ted to agree to the deal despite his reservations and the partners vote to accept the offer. The partners then announce the merger to the office, as well as give a eulogy for Bert. Moments later Peggy finds Don and informs him that they won the Burger Chef account. Don then leaves the gathering to "get back to work". On the way to his office, Don has a vision of Bert, who performs a musical number, "The Best Things in Life Are Free", with several secretaries. Don watches in confusion before leaning on a desk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers for that. I remember all of it bar the ME takeover.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont have Sky Atlantic so waiting for it to show on blinkbox or Google Play
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont have Sky Atlantic so waiting for it to show on blinkbox or Google Play
    A NOW TV box for £9.99 is a wonderful thing. Take out an Entertainment Pass for a couple of months while Mad Men is on then cancel it! Even without the sub it's a great way of upgrading to a Smart TV if you don't have one (and the apps are better than on many).
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    A NOW TV box for £9.99 is a wonderful thing. Take out an Entertainment Pass for a couple of months while Mad Men is on then cancel it! Even without the sub it's a great way of upgrading to a Smart TV if you don't have one (and the apps are better than on many).

Already have Virgin XL pack would literally just paying for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate Betty even when she's only in it for a minute.
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the show is past its best but it's still enjoyable.
    Some great one-liners and I like the retro look.
    What's with the new moustaches though !
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I hate Betty even when she's only in it for a minute.

She's better than Megan though. The female character we're really missing is Trudy. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Megan, and hate Betty.

I do miss Trudy.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,240
    Forum Member
    So far, the final stretch of episodes have been a let down

I just don't care about Betty, or Megan, or Megan's family, or Harry, or various ex-conquests of Don, or this boring new waitress he's banging.

I have no idea what the purpose of Mimi Rodgers' appearance was.

Where the hell was Joan this week?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far, the final stretch of episodes have been a let down

I just don't care about Betty, or Megan, or Megan's family, or Harry, or various ex-conquests of Don, or this boring new waitress he's banging.

I have no idea what the purpose of Mimi Rodgers' appearance was.

Where the hell was Joan this week?

She's become such a misery since season 6 I'm not sure I care about her either. All that money she has doesn't make up for her realisation she'll never be taken seriously as an ad exec in the male-dominated world of market advertising. She will always be seen a secretarised clothes horse with a good body for men to leer at. The question is, should Joan (or women for that matter) not glory in who she is and what she's been given w/o men and other women (Peggy) reading Joan's image as nothing but a glorified sexualised wannabe? Or does Joan consciously and knowingly 'market' herself in this way - as a sexualised woman who knows full well men will desire her and females will be jealous of her/feel threathened by her - she shouldn't be surprised at the ensuing backlash? The power she wielded as queen of the secretary pool waned a long time ago and now she wants to be seen as equal to Peggy who has worked her way up neither sleeping powerful men nor putting her wares out to pasture. Like Don, she is a relic of the 50s who doesn't know how to speak the modern language other women have cottoned onto. Betty wants to go back to college and obtain a degree; Megan takes her career aspirations seriously that she wouldn't sleep with Harry even if that made life easier for her (improbable as that may be). Peggy does away with all that Joan is known for in order to get ahead. Joan, however, throws her hands in the air and her mode of therapy is to go shopping, stuck in doing what she has always known best: buying beautiful clothes which merely accentuates the very thing that makes men not to take her seriously as an ad exec (wannabe).
  • annielouannielou Posts: 10,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joan, Don and Roger are all relics of the 50s. There were at their peaks then but have struggled in various ways in the 60s, especially the later years, but that in itself has been interesting to watch.

Peggy is really the only one who has gained in terms of adapting to the decade, although Betty may surprise us by powering through the 70s and become a feminist due to being influenced by students at her University!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Did like the Lift moment - but I have no time for the waitress.
    Liked how Peggy dealt with the Photographer.

Subtitles, bored me - but I liked Megan's Mum, emptying Dons place - end scene, priceless...French song, without subtitles.;-)

Betty back.:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode 10, "The Forecast":

As a long-time hater of Betty, there were several scenes of this episode that I simply fast-forwarded. IMO Betty has served absolutely no purpose for a good few years now.

She's not even needed as a link between Don and Sally, as their scene near the end could have quite happily worked without the previous half-dozen Betty scenes.

What really irritates me is that while Betty is still stealing screentime, Megan seems to have been given the final push. If Megan isn't needed anymore, WTF is Betty still in it? She has no connection to anyone or anything aside from being the mother of Don's children, something that isn't needed for us to still have Don + Sally scenes.

Still, at least we also got a decent number of Joan scenes this week.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scenes with Betty and Glen were like watching a couple of kids from Junior School on stage. Just remembering the dialogue and reciting it.

I only just found out that the boy who plays Glen is Matthew Weiner's son. That explains a lot.

I don't actually mind Betty if I'm being honest. I mean, you say what's the purpose of her scenes, and yet are happy about Joan having more screentime. What's the purpose of Joan anymore? It feels like we've already done all this with her on numerous occassions.

Why did Joan say she has been divorced twice? What am I missing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But at least Joan is part of the firm, and is therefore connected to Don and everyone else at the SCwhatever offices.

Betty... what's the point? How does she tie into anything else? Who cares about her and her boring husband, or her and Glen? What relevance is she to anything?

We didn't need any of that, all we needed was the scene with Don, Sally, and Sally's friends.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    I really hope Joan wasn't serious about giving up her son. That'd be a new low for her.

With Sally going on this trip, I wonder if that'll be the last we see of her. At least we shouldn't have to endure any more of Betty and Glen. I'd like to see more of Pete and Roger now as we've hardly checked in with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scenes I loved:

The Pete and Peggy scene spat and watching Peggy flounce off;
    Don and Sally at the bus station (All Sally scenes actually especially the one she leaves a message for Glenn. I forget sometimes that a whole generation lost childhood friends in that war; it made a really good change to be reminded of that which was more effective since we've seen Sally and Glenn grow up thru the seasons)
    Don and Peggy Performance review scene.
    Don and the bone-headed young exec scene. Good grief, did he not rehearse those words in his head to realise that wasn't what Don meant?! Lol.

Everyone else seemed to be stuck on repeat rinse cycle. Thank you, Yo Omars, on the bit of Weiner trivia. Another exec producer's child being shoe-horned into a role that ill-suits the child's ability to act. Aaron Spelling did the exact same thing with two of his children. They couldn't act for toffee. Whoever said that watching Glenn and Betty read off the teleprompt in their scenes was pretty much on the ball. I understood what they were trying to convey but wow, it was all a bit stiff and 'get-this-over-and-done-with'. I can't help but think that if they had cast Glenn with a young actor who could act, the two scenes would have play better and had better sexual fizzle than the wooden plank chemistry we eventually got. But then again, Betty is involved. I don't know how she does it, but she and her pheromones always manage to desexualise her male admirers to the point of y rendering them impotent. Pretty and all that, but ...
  • Red NovemberRed November Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great series but a huge mistake imo in splitting the final season over 2 years. It takes an episode or two to get the feel back again, then just when it's up and running as we know it, the finale will be upon us.

The final season would have showcased far better in a 14 episode run, instead of the stopping and starting and stuttering in the middle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    I really hope Joan wasn't serious about giving up her son. That'd be a new low for her.

To me it seemed to be a sarcastic dig at *him*, not a serious plan from her.
This discussion has been closed.