Mad Men.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just surfing while I count down the minutes to the Beeb2 Tuesday repeat of Mad Men. I love it! Agree it was a slow burner, and I nearly fell by the wayside a coupla weeks ago BUT I had faith (largely cos of The Soprano connections - ie the writing, not the Mafia :D) and that faith has been well rewarded as I'm now completely hooked. Just wanted to second all the praise that has been heaped upon it :cool: Intelligent, stylish, dramatic, original - tis too late for me to think of appropriate superlatives :o It's just excellent :)

*Realises have lowered the tone of thread by excessive use of smileys*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blue note wrote: »
    I think he was as supportive as a man in that era could be, but he didn't like that the other company was so blatantly using his wife to pressure him to take their job offer.

I agree that he didn't like those kind of dirty tactics, but I disagree that he is supportive. There's so many layers to Don. And the end revealed that he just wanted her to remain a mother, as that is her most important job. There was no way in hell he'd let her go back into modelling full time. He seemed supportive, because I think he knew it would backfire in some way, and if it didn't by itself he would personally make sure it did. He let her think it was her choice, but all the time he is pulling her puppet strings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that he didn't like those kind of dirty tactics, but I disagree that he is supportive. There's so many layers to Don. And the end revealed that he just wanted her to remain a mother, as that is her most important job. There was no way in hell he'd let her go back into modelling full time. He seemed supportive, because I think he knew it would backfire in some way, and if it didn't by itself he would personally make sure it did. He let her think it was her choice, but all the time he is pulling her puppet strings.

I think of all the characters she is the one I feel sorry for. It winds me up that she is being sent to the shrink when it is perfectly obvious why she is the way she is and what she needs.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this show, total class.

I agree about Peggy, oh dear that will be a major crisis for Peter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I agree that he didn't like those kind of dirty tactics, but I disagree that he is supportive. There's so many layers to Don. And the end revealed that he just wanted her to remain a mother, as that is her most important job.

Yes, but most men back then would have felt the same way as Don, and some wouldn't even have let her do as much as she did, like the photo shoot, etc. Don is too complex to be painted as a sexist villain (I think that honour goes to Pete), and he has treated poor Betty quite badly at times. I just don't think this was one of those times.
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We love the show too and have never known 45 minutes pass so quickly. However, I am starting to worry about the opening credits which shows a person falling from a window. Does this look like Don Draper to anyone else? And he did say to Roger that if he left the company it would be in a different manner - not going to another job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrimmidge wrote: »
    I must say I am still rooting for him. They all seem such victims of their own circumstances and social situations. Draper seems messed up but with no way of dealing with it.
    He is a man of his time, with all the attitudes that are now, thankfully, not the norm. I love this series partly because of that. The writers are not glossing over those attitudes, even for the 'good' guys. The best thing on tele at the moment. Glad I found this thread as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    I love this show and I only wish I'd gotten into it sooner!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up on Sunday's episode - fantastic! I'm on the side of those who think that Don pulled out of joining the new company because he disliked the way they were trying to pressurise him by using his wife (rather than just trying to stop his wife from working). However, it's clear that his absolute belief is that the only job Betty should be doing is being a mother.

I love the way this episode showed how difficult it must have been to have lived during this time and in this society and how frustating it must have been to not be able to express your feelings. (Demonstrated in the way Pete exploded into the fight and the way Betty started taking pot shots at the pigeons!)

The scene where Sterling asks Don if he wants a lift to the station while there is a fight going on behind them made me smile!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,551
    Forum Member
    I can't read the other posts as such cos I'm a few episodes behind (but did see re. Daren in Bewitched :D ) but I'm also really enjoying this. There's something about it that I love but can't quite put my finger on what it is. It's just so slick and stylish.

I'm only about 5 episodes in so it's only just starting to get going I think. I did almost give up on it but I'm glad I didn't. I hope it does get moving just a little bit more. Could do with a few more significant things happening...

I do like Draper. But his wife is gorgeous (reminds me of Juliet Stevenson) - what is he doing grrrr!

Pete is just .. agh. Cracks me up with his sitting in bed with his naff pjs drinking milk lmao.

Also - I know I shouldn't say/ think this but I find the smoking quite shexy most of the time! Not just the actual smoking, but also the cases, the holders, the lighters.. just the whole smoking thing. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    I adore this programme for so many reasons - most of which have already been listed. I have watched it from the beginning and although I don't get the freeview channels, I watch it as soon as possible on iplayer.
    I even find myself relating to the advertising-speak (even though my experience was limited to a small provincial agency in the 80's) and recalling what fun it was to be a tiny part of that world.
    I don't think that Don was ever serious about moving to McCann Ericson (was it?) and the deal-breaker (if there ever was one) was Betty's seeming success on the modelling side. She was the one who was turned on by her success and he - being male - went along with the impromptu "sesh" on the sofa. Easy on the eye he may be (very similar to an ex of mine), but he is a total sleaze with the women (again, similiar to blah blah) and I would love to see him get his comeuppance.
    The programme itself is beautifully made with an attention to detail rarely seen nowadays; the (sadly) highlight of my week.
    *sigh*
  • NEIL J JONESNEIL J JONES Posts: 7,115
    Forum Member
    There is something about it that draws you in, it looks great in HD, a good example of what all HD should look like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I found this thread - all your posts really enhance the whole Mad Men experience. I agree Don is complex - not a villain, not a hero but it's slowly being revealed what has made the man - more revelations to follow I hope!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I found this thread - all your posts really enhance the whole Mad Men experience. I agree Don is complex - not a villain, not a hero but it's slowly being revealed what has made the man - more revelations to follow I hope!

That's true for me too! Before that, I was the only person in the whole world I knew who was watching it and I was desperate to share views with someone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scene where Sterling asks Don if he wants a lift to the station while there is a fight going on behind them made me smile!

They are a good double act those two. I also liked the scene where they had been told that they were not allowed to sack Pete and they burst back in on him and gave him the hard sell about how he had only kept his job because Don fought for him! :D
  • arteroartero Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up on Sunday's episode - fantastic! I'm on the side of those who think that Don pulled out of joining the new company because he disliked the way they were trying to pressurise him by using his wife (rather than just trying to stop his wife from working). However, it's clear that his absolute belief is that the only job Betty should be doing is being a mother.

I love the way this episode showed how difficult it must have been to have lived during this time and in this society and how frustating it must have been to not be able to express your feelings. (Demonstrated in the way Pete exploded into the fight and the way Betty started taking pot shots at the pigeons!)

I think you've got this kind of backward. If a fight occurred in an office these days both protagonists would likely be sacked, certainly the person who threw the first punch. And if anyone was stood in their garden shooting birds then they'd be arrested. Now Betty may be a bored and frustrated and Pete might prefer he wasn't married but if anything they had more freedom in those days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artero wrote: »
    I think you've got this kind of backward. If a fight occurred in an office these days both protagonists would likely be sacked, certainly the person who threw the first punch. And if anyone was stood in their garden shooting birds then they'd be arrested. Now Betty may be a bored and frustrated and Pete might prefer he wasn't married but if anything they had more freedom in those days.
    I guess what I'd hope is that nowadays people wouldn't need to resort to such extremes to express their feelings. But even as I type this, I'm aware of how we are all still victims of our upbringing and the society we live in.

Not sure if I agree with your point about more freedom then. As a woman, I definitely prefere the freedom I have now - even if it means I can't go shooting my neighbours birds!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone see tonight's episode? No wonder Don is so screwed up!

Loved the how much Joan looked like Shirley Maclaine in 'The Apartment' when she had to push the buttons in the lift!
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    What's not to like?

Handsome men, fabulous clothes and sets, great writing and well acted.

I love the fact that everyone smokes at the drop of a hat. The misogyny is shocking, but very apt for the era
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoy this too......

Peggy actually voiced her thoughts to Pete ...in a show of not much being said but lots of thoughts being shown on faces that was a refreshing change!

Don Draper ......would I care if he was not so handsome?:o...sorry to lower the tone but i loved Tony Soprano because of the scenes in Dr Melfi's office where we found out about his true character .....his mother ...:mad:

What a creep Roger is ......ugh.....were we supposed to believe his tears in the hospital and his words to his wife and daughter or were they the words of a man who had nearly lost all.....:confused:

A wonderful series with complex characters....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    This is one of the best, if not best, shows on air. The way Don just totally opened up at the end about his background, mother etc. took me completely by surprise. For someone who takes great care to keep his past hidden this was quite a shock. I'm not clear though if his wife knows all this, I have a feeling she doesn't.
  • tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say this is one of the best, if not the best new series to have come out of the USA in years.

Love this series and really hope there is a second.

Billirant little touches throughout the episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we think Don really loves Rachel? Or was she someone he thought was unobtainable and now his interest will wear off?

I kind of feel sorry for Betty. I think she's one of the most screwed up characters on the show.

And is Peggy preggers? Or just putting on quite a bit of weight?
  • tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we think Don really loves Rachel? Or was she someone he thought was unobtainable and now his interest will wear off?

I kind of feel sorry for Betty. I think she's one of the most screwed up characters on the show.

And is Peggy preggers? Or just putting on quite a bit of weight?

I think she could possibly be preggers .... and for some reason, I think Pete really does like her.

But not forgetting that decade .... that would be very bad news for Peggy. She'd be ostracised (for being caught out)

Do I think Roger has seen the light? Dunno, next week will tell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In some of the episodes she's come across as a Stepford Wife....so very repressed
This discussion has been closed.