So why is it that so many people are not quite getting Alex?

Comments

• Sudoku-JoSudoku-Jo Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    werdna67 wrote: »
    She's mentioned it a few times over the weeks. Said it tonight when she went home.
    My eyes do glaze over at all their VTs. A shame they can't make two versions of the show: one with singing only; one with all the "stories". Wouldn't it be interesting to see if there were two different winners?
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,606
    Forum Member
    froglet wrote: »
    She's a gorgeous girl with a great voice, seems like a really nice person from what we have seen, and she sings with real emotion and great technique.

What's missing? Something seems to be, because so many people on here are saying that, good as she is, she is not their favourite.

Why? Can we put it into words? I'm asking because I'm not sure I can at the moment.
    Seen it all before far, far too many times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sudoku-Jo wrote: »
    My eyes do glaze over at all their VTs. A shame they can't make two versions of the show: one with singing only; one with all the "stories". Wouldn't it be interesting to see if there were two different winners?

One week I was out ( very occasionally I do get a life) and couldn't watch. I saw all the performances on youtube, with the judges comments, the following day and I really didn't feel I'd missed much.

It took about 15 minutes!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One week I was out ( very occasionally I do get a life) and couldn't watch. I saw all the performances on youtube, with the judges comments, the following day and I really didn't feel I'd missed much.

It took about 15 minutes!
    And so, in the interests of conducting a scientific experiment: who should have gone that week?
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Shes good but i don't feel she is different enough to stand out. She sounds like so many other singers without her being all that special. I tend to forget her performances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sudoku-Jo wrote: »
    And so, in the interests of conducting a scientific experiment: who should have gone that week?

Without hearing the sob stories I was at a loss to know. :D

Probably Daniel................ bless his heart I hope he has a wonderful time on the cruise ships and charms the socks off everybody.

To get back on topic.......... we seem to have quite a few people saying that Alex isn't distinctive enough. Is there nothing she can do about that? Is it the producers fault for not knowing how to bring out this happy fun side that we have been hearing about?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without hearing the sob stories I was at a loss to know. :D

Probably Daniel................ bless his heart I hope he has a wonderful time on the cruise ships and charms the socks off everybody.

To get back on topic.......... we seem to have quite a few people saying that Alex isn't distinctive enough. Is there nothing she can do about that? Is it the producers fault for not knowing how to bring out this happy fun side that we have been hearing about?[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Only remember what they did to Rhydian..........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dunkan wrote: »
    Her performances are too clean cut, too 'perfect', and I think they lack some emotion, and she does not imo connect with the audience. In fact, I think despite having a very good voice, she is very forgettable. Not a single performance of hers sticks in my mind.

You know this is really weird. My daughter is a singer. A truly phenomenal singer - Leona Lewis phenomenal, although she doesn't believe it. I know, I'm her mother, so you're allowed to edit that into the BS category all you like, I won't mind.

She's at one of the top music colleges (not the Brit school, but another similar one), and she said she suffers from this too. Other singers are not as good as her vocally, but they get attention, just standing singing in an average way. She and I have both tried to analyse it, and just tonight we came to the conclusion that her singing is too clean cut, too perfect, too 'on' the notes, and lacking in emotion. I told her she needs to get inside the songs, really understand them, and what they mean to HER, then put it across with real feeling. She knows this intellectually, but doesn't know quite how to do it. It's odd that some singers have this amazing ability to communicate with the audience, even without all the 'tools' they need, and others, who could sing their way to heaven, are not blessed with this.

It's a conundrum.

Like you, I feel there is something missing with Alex. For all her vocal ability, I don't think she has the 'X'. I think that Ruth does, and she's not as good a singer. Sadly, I also think Diana does and her voice causes me physical pain. :-(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whew, glad I'm not the only person that thinks this! She is great, but... cheese warning... it's the X factor that she lacks :yawn:
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Gawd knows. She's the best singer left in the competition and tonight she was absolutely fantastic. Probably would have been bottom two had it not been for Laura going last week and the judges urging everyone to vote - there's been a bit of complacency but the girl did good tonight and I have renewed confidence in her.
  • KMXKMX Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a gorgeous girl with a great voice, seems like a really nice person from what we have seen, and she sings with real emotion and great technique.

What's missing? Something seems to be, because so many people on here are saying that, good as she is, she is not their favourite.

Why? Can we put it into words? I'm asking because I'm not sure I can at the moment.
    I don't know either, I ask myself the same thing time and time again. A lot of my friends love her too but there are some who say she's good but not amazing and when I ask why they don't really have an answer except "hmmm she's a bit too similar to Leona".

The Leona comparison doesn't wash with me, not only is Leona's voice different to Alexandra's but their personalities and style are too. The only similarities are that they're black, female and young.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel the same about Alexandra as I do about Leona.

Both have fabulous technically perfect voices, both nice girls, good looking and should tick all the right boxes but neither blow me away when they perform.

ETA I have watched loads of reality shows and a couple of years ago was hooked on any dream will do. A guy called Ben Ellis who was by no means the best singer in the competion blew me away when he performed. Same with Robbie Williams who i have seen live and he really isn't a great singer but his performance skills are just amazing. the only way i can explain is it he draws you into the song and makes you really belive in the lyrics
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waggles wrote: »
    You know this is really weird. My daughter is a singer. A truly phenomenal singer - Leona Lewis phenomenal, although she doesn't believe it. I know, I'm her mother, so you're allowed to edit that into the BS category all you like, I won't mind.

She's at one of the top music colleges (not the Brit school, but another similar one), and she said she suffers from this too. Other singers are not as good as her vocally, but they get attention, just standing singing in an average way. She and I have both tried to analyse it, and just tonight we came to the conclusion that her singing is too clean cut, too perfect, too 'on' the notes, and lacking in emotion. I told her she needs to get inside the songs, really understand them, and what they mean to HER, then put it across with real feeling. She knows this intellectually, but doesn't know quite how to do it. It's odd that some singers have this amazing ability to communicate with the audience, even without all the 'tools' they need, and others, who could sing their way to heaven, are not blessed with this.

It's a conundrum.

Like you, I feel there is something missing with Alex. For all her vocal ability, I don't think she has the 'X'. I think that Ruth does, and she's not as good a singer. Sadly, I also think Diana does and her voice causes me physical pain. :-(

Life just isn't fair sometimes is it? Perhaps it's the ability to act within a song which makes a difference. Maybe those who are not quite so perfect vocally are not perfect because they have allowed themselves to relax and tell the story. People connect to stories more than anything else.
  • ccaaeacccaaeac Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Makes me laugh all the internet 'experts' complaining that Alex has no originality.

What exactly do you expect in a show where ALL the contestants are required to perform songs that we've all heard thousands of times before?

Not one of the contestants is original, it's all been seen before...why single out just one of them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well she was 148 peoples favorite last week and i'm sure more this week ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roth30 wrote: »
    when people say others before her who do you mean.
    Yes please can people start naming these "hundred" people we have seen before Alexandra? I'd like to know about them so I can buy their records or YouTube them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    werdna67 wrote: »
    She does keep mentioning sharing a bed with her sister though.
    Keeps mentioning it?

She mentioned it ONCE at bootcamp when they ALL had a VT on their hard luck stories.

And she mentioned it ONCE tonight.

I'd say that's amazingly low in the sob story stakes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life just isn't fair sometimes is it? Perhaps it's the ability to act within a song which makes a difference. Maybe those who are not quite so perfect vocally are not perfect because they have allowed themselves to relax and tell the story. People connect to stories more than anything else.

I think you're right. It's fascinating to me that when people hear my daughter sing, without actually watching her, they cry. Almost every person who hears her does that (male, female, it doesn't matter). She's a beautiful girl, and when she sings live, she does get some strong reactions, but often, people just carry on chatting (granted, she sings in some odd places...! It's all a part of 'paying your dues'...).

Her vocal tutor says she needs to 'give of herself' more, and she doesn't quite know how to interpret that. She's young though. I think all this may come with maturity and life experience.

And yet...there are some very young singers who can really put a song across naturally. So maybe it's not that...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    She is boring! No personality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she's too perfect :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    >...and she sings with real emotion and technique...

She needs to locate some sincerity in her performances because right now she is serving up a lot of superficial affectation and, despite the appealing package that it's delivered in, it doesn't make her very engaging.

Like Penny Lane says in Almost Famous, "The truth just sounds different."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is boring! No personality.
    Rubbish! You've obviously never watched her VTs and post-performance chats, she has bags of personality!
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's like Leona without the spectacular high notes. Which leaves a competent singer but nothing more.

At the end of every performance I think "yeah, that was good... next" and then completely forget them.

She just doesn't have the "X Factor", it is all so bland and there is just no potential to sell records at the end of the show. She has nothing to make you realise "that's an Alexandra Burke song".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    She has nothing to make you realise "that's an Alexandra Burke song".

That's probably true. That's what won pop idol for Will Young. You know within seconds that it's him singing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    She's like Leona without the spectacular high notes. Which leaves a competent singer but nothing more.

At the end of every performance I think "yeah, that was good... next" and then completely forget them.

She just doesn't have the "X Factor", it is all so bland and there is just no potential to sell records at the end of the show. She has nothing to make you realise "that's an Alexandra Burke song".

I think that's it, in a nutshell. And sadly, I think this may be what will continue to save Diana. Her voice is instantly recognisable (like nails on a blackboard to me, but there you go). That sells records. Alexandra is like so many other singers, so has nothing new to offer.

Ruth's voice is also recognisable. Is there anyone else in the competition with that? I don't think so.