So why is it that so many people are not quite getting Alex?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    too prefect? faultless every week but something missing?
    heard it all before?

right firstly she is easily the strongest technically week on week and the best and most natural performer.

it looks like Eoghan will win if the press are correct but that will be a travesty imo, people say they've heard it all before, can someone please tell me when because i think she could be one of the top female recording artitst the country has seen in quite a while.

no personality? well who actually has shown their personality so far then, Eoghan(stupid hair/weak voice)? Rachel(pensioner mugger)? JLS (boyz 2 men tribute) etc..

she's come on stage been top 2 IMO every week and has no sob story, she's seems like a lovely girl who's having the time of her life. and crikey can she sing. let's get behind the talent, they said Leona didn't have a personality but that hasn't hindered her career has it?

Sleek
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleek wrote: »
    too prefect? faultless every week but something missing?
    heard it all before?

right firstly she is easily the strongest technically week on week and the best and most natural performer.

it looks like Eoghan will win if the press are correct but that will be a travesty imo, people say they've heard it all before, can someone please tell me when because i think she could be one of the top female recording artitst the country has seen in quite a while.

no personality? well who actually has shown their personality so far then, Eoghan(stupid hair/weak voice)? Rachel(pensioner mugger)? JLS (boyz 2 men tribute) etc..

she's come on stage been top 2 IMO every week and has no sob story, she's seems like a lovely girl who's having the time of her life. and crikey can she sing. let's get behind the talent, they said Leona didn't have a personality but that hasn't hindered her career has it?

Sleek

Round of applause for Sleek. That's the kind of support the girl needs. :)
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her voice is ok, nice performances, but nothing more than nice.

She has nothing to distinguish her from the competition, and when you see Leona come out and give such an effortlessly amazing performance, it just reminds me how Alexandra has nothing compared to that and leans me towards the different acts like JLS or Diana.

Never mind the fact I find her highly annoying and very much "Me me me" desparate for attention like Austin. We saw last week everyones shock as mariah arrived, according to Alex she instantly burst into tears, obviously the cameras missed that? Then tonight she claimed she was holding back tears and was crying the instant Daniel was announced as leaving, yet we saw them all watching in the green room and she did nothing of the kind.

I find her highly contrived and very very very rehearsed, not very natural at all.

Also she keeps comparing herself to Beyonce which is simply laughable, she's as close to Beyonce as Daniel is to Elvis.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never liked Alex before tonight. Not at all and people will tell you that on here but tonight she was very very good vocally - some problems but nothing bad.

The problem is, I think her performances are contrived, like dramatised; theatrics. People can see when someone is connecting with the music and Alex doesn't.

A great vocal by her for once tonight. Nothing massive and booming and no forcing of the voice - just vocals so really good and if she did that every week from now, she deserves to be in the final with Ruth and Diana, but I really think her belting voice will return.

As for why people don't get her, like I said - it's her inability to completely connect with the audience.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Her voice is ok, nice performances, but nothing more than nice.

She has nothing to distinguish her from the competition, and when you see Leona come out and give such an effortlessly amazing performance

If she steps out of her comfort zone again and again and tries more sombre, balanced vocals - none of this crazy vocal noises then that will be her challenge to improve and she could find new music to connect with the audience.

But if she reverts back to the Whitney school then I can't see her improving.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching with Sleek and completely agree with his opinion on Alex. I can't believe she is not getting much support! She has an amazing voice and is faultless every week. Simon critisized her song choices at the start but it's only people like Alex who can pull off big songs like that. Secondly i'd like to stress my concern that Eoghan could be the winner of X factor 2008. Wat a joke! He has no power in his voice, very breathy. I don't think he could ever cope with the music industry. He would be awful! Dreadful! People stop voting! He has the cute little boy vote and that is it! Glad that Dan has gone. Nice guy but should have gone ages ago.

Alex to win!

Tefan using Sleeks log in :)
  • werdna67werdna67 Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    KMX wrote: »
    Keeps mentioning it?

She mentioned it ONCE at bootcamp when they ALL had a VT on their hard luck stories.

And she mentioned it ONCE tonight.

I'd say that's amazingly low in the sob story stakes.

Why mention it at all? She makes it sound like she lives in a Dicken's book.:D
  • sHAYneWARDsHAYneWARD Posts: 2,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    froglet wrote: »
    She's a gorgeous girl with a great voice, seems like a really nice person from what we have seen, and she sings with real emotion and great technique.

What's missing? Something seems to be, because so many people on here are saying that, good as she is, she is not their favourite.

Why? Can we put it into words? I'm asking because I'm not sure I can at the moment.

Those sort of comments come mainly, though not solely, from Leona fans who do Leona a disservice.
    C14E wrote: »
    She's like Leona without the spectacular high notes. Which leaves a competent singer but nothing more.

At the end of every performance I think "yeah, that was good... next" and then completely forget them.

She just doesn't have the "X Factor", it is all so bland and there is just no potential to sell records at the end of the show. She has nothing to make you realise "that's an Alexandra Burke song".

Personally it's those "spectacular" high notes that are one of the things about Leona's voice that make it so unpleasant to me. Those notes are cold and disconnected, vocally and emotionally. Leona has flexibility in her voice but no warmth or ability to convey a lyric in the slightest. Without that, she may as well be playing a love song on a triangle.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    werdna67 wrote: »
    Why mention it at all? She makes it sound like she lives in a Dicken's book.:D

I know!

The bed she shares with her sister and a fairly recent Dell Laptop?

Seriously, if it was such a problem why not save up and buy a new bed? How long exactly did they share this bed for?

Judging by her previous half-truths (The tears at seeing Mariahs Foot when the VT clearly showed no crying, or the floods of tears at Daniels exit, again when the VT shows no crying at all) I'd guess she perhaps shared the bed with her sister once, for about 10 minutes and is now using it to garner a bit of sympathy since she knows her personality/voice won't win the show for her alone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I hear sooooo much tripe about her not connecting with the audience. Let me ask you people that say this a question....How many of you have EVER been in an audience to Alexandra performances?

I ask this because I WAS THERE IN THE AUDIENCE TONIGHT and I was connected as I am to my broadband writing this post.

That performance was moving....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XFrulez wrote: »
    I hear sooooo much tripe about her not connecting with the audience. Let me ask you people that say this a question....How many of you have EVER been in an audience to Alexandra performances?

I ask this because I WAS THERE IN THE AUDIENCE TONIGHT and I was connected as I am to my broadband writing this post.

That performance was moving....

Well, you should've seen it on tv, luv. It was moving all right. Moved me to get up and put the kettle on.
  • Eve3275Eve3275 Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me there's something incredibly dated and 1990's about Alexandra, even though she's young. I think her best performance was candyman, ironically because the 50's era music and styling took her out of her usual 1990's mode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    soneil wrote: »
    Well, you should've seen it on tv, luv. It was moving all right. Moved me to get up and put the kettle on.

Don't worry luv, I did see it back on the tv....and I loved it just as much. Fantastic performance of true vocal ability which was a pleasure to watch.

You can sit there and attend to your kettle all you want...and let those who know and understand good talent enjoy the moment.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but some people don't half post tripe on here..:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    froglet wrote: »
    She's a gorgeous girl with a great voice...

To be more honest she's just a fairly attractive girl with an okay voice .. in other words nothing special.

I'm afraid that's your answer!
  • sorrellsorrell Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's too bland for my liking, yes she's got a fab voice, but there's nothing that makes her stand out from any other record making soul/r&b singer of the moment. Give her a contract tomorrow, give her a catchy song to sing and she'll slot into the niche very nicely. But this is X factor, and x factor is meant to be entertaining whether it be through crap performances, amazing performances, watching people improving over the weeks, surprises! Sorry, but I think there's going to be no surprises with Alexandra....she went in as a good singer, and she'll come out a good singer, and she'll probably always be a good singer, and that's as good as it gets. I think she's reached her peak, and I'm not eager to see what she's gonna do next...'cause you pretty much know what you're going to get!
  • Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is amazing and as she has been pretty much in the background since the start she now has a chance to come and burst through just at the right time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sHAYneWARD wrote: »

Personally it's those "spectacular" high notes that are one of the things about Leona's voice that make it so unpleasant to me. Those notes are cold and disconnected, vocally and emotionally. Leona has flexibility in her voice but no warmth or ability to convey a lyric in the slightest. Without that, she may as well be playing a love song on a triangle.

I absolutely agree with you. Don't see what the fuss is about at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dunkan wrote: »
    Her performances are too clean cut, too 'perfect', and I think they lack some emotion, and she does not imo connect with the audience. In fact, I think despite having a very good voice, she is very forgettable. Not a single performance of hers sticks in my mind.

Totally agree. Her song last night is quite an emotional one when sung by Joe Cocker but although it was pitch perfect and nice to listen to, it didn't give me any goosebumps.