Settling in a new puppy with an existing dog. Any advice welcome.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have a lovely three year old Spaniel. She is very sweet and affectionate as well as very active but quite settled in the house. Not too keen on strangers until she gets to know them and she's used to just two of us in the house.

Hopefully a new spaniel pup will be arriving in late Spring. I have never had two dogs before and wondered if anyone had any advice about settling the new puppy in without putting her nose out of joint. :)

Comments

• _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    We've got three dogs now, and we've never had a problem introducing new pups. We brought the latest pup home quite late in the evening so they only had an hour to get used to each other before bed. The next morning it was like there had never been a time when they hadn't all lived together. If she gets on with other dogs and enjoys having them round to visit then I wouldn't expect any problems.
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never claim to be an expert but we started with two from the same litter 20 years ago and have tried to keep two ever since as they love company. At present we have one as we had to say goodbye to Merlin a couple of months ago. We will get company for our gsd in a few more months hopefully.

Personally we have introduced the dogs on neutral territory. If they are happy around each other then they get exercised together and then we all go home together. We don't make a fuss of either dog but just let them both decide how to handle the situation themselves. Puppies are usually curious to sniff everything and our existing dog has usually sniffed around the pup. We do of course watch to make sure the older dog doesn't try and get aggressive, but in our experience this hasn't happened. The pup has sometimes been warned for being to boistrous by the older dog, but has never been roughly treated. Since we can't pick up on all the body language they give each other we have allowed them to sort out any pecking order in the house pack, this has seemed to work well for us.

Our younger ones have learnt a lot from their older companions, toilet training has been easier as they copy the older dog plus on walks the pup has been too busy chasing our older dog to try and run off from us. You may find the new pup has a totally different personality and may be the dominant dog when it gets older. In a pack no two dogs are on the same level. You may also find there are changes in the personality of your existing dog, she may not want to share food, toys or affection. On the other hand she may well mother the new arrival and let it get away with murder!

I'm really envious as we need to allow ours more time to find her own feet before getting a companion for her.
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have two boy cockers. The oldest was four when we introduced the puppy. It was a lot more straight forward than we thought. And if your current one is happy with other dogs then it is easier.

First dont introduce them at home, if you can introduce them outside. I know that's difficult if the new pup hasn't had it's vaccinations but it can be held in your arms or in a carry crate. Then when you get it home try not to make to much of a fuss of it in front of the other dog. Dont leave them alone together for a few days either. The puppy might be better off in a cage at night. Although ours tossed the pup out and slept in the cage while the pup made a bed under the stairs.

But the main thing is you have to let them find their own feet and pecking order. If the older dog doesn't want to share it's toys or food then dont make it. They aren't kids and dont get the sharing thing.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try to cover the puppy with familiar scent before you introduce it to the existing dog. Include the existing dog's scent by rubbing his blanket onto the puppy.

Put your scent onto the puppy also by rubbing him with your hands and wrists, and get other family members to do likewise. No fake smells like perfumes.

In the long run there's no doubt that the puppy will annoy the hell out of your dog but that's only natural. The dog will let him know if he becomes too annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How lovely to be getting a friend for your Spaniel.

I agree with the other posters that it's better to introduce them on neutral territory &, provided they appear to be getting on ok, then all go home together. It's much more difficult to suddenly bring a brand new dog into your existing dog's territory.

If you can get hold of some of the new puppy's bedding beforehand to bring home & let your dog get used to the smell, that may also help with introductions.

Make sure that you've got somewhere at home that you can set aside for the puppy if necessary.

Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everybody. There is some really good advice there.
    :)
  • RoanRoan Posts: 3,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just reserved a black lab puppy and will be bringing her home next week, so good advice for me too. I already have a yellow male lab of 11 years so with what you were all saying I think we will take him with us to pick the new puppy up. We have an 1hr 1/4 drive so I will be sat in the back with the puppy while Jak is in the rear.

What are peoples experiences like with having a un-vaccinated pup in the same house as a dog? how do I go about this. Thanks
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At 11 weeks your puppy should have had her first vaccination before you bring her home. As long as your older dog's vaccinations are up to date it should be fine as he won't have any infections/germs that will hurt her. The worst thing that our first dog got was kennel cough and we had to keep him in quarrantine for a short time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Hey everybody - thought I would hi jack this thread rather than start a new one.

A lady at my puppy training class can't cope with her pup any more. He's 4 month old and I think she's just had enough basically (I know what mine was like when she was that stage a couple of months ago. Anyway she's looking to give him away and I really feel for her and the pup. Now I've been mulling it over in my mind and I think I'd like to take him on - even if just for a temp basis while I find a good home for him (she can't take him in her new place).

Question is is this a good idea? Our pup, Pepper, is about 7 months old now and is doing really well (went up to intermediates in training thankyouverymuch) would another dog throw her off? I know we could train him cos we've done well with Pepper. And we still live in a flat (though we're hoping to upgrade to a house n a year or so) and one dog two people fits nicely - would two dogs be too much? Am I letting my heart overrule my head? He is a beautiful pup....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't say specifically why the current owner is finding it so hard to cope with her puppy. Is it really just the pup's age & stage it is going through or is there something else going on?

Far be it from me to discourage you as I generally think it is lovely to have more than one dog. They are social animals & it's natural to live in a place with other dogs plus they provide company & a playmate when you're not around. But I would look very carefully at the lady's puppy's behaviour & ask her lots of questions about where she got him from, how long has she had him, what is he like at home & on walks etc. Can you meet his current owner for a walk to check that your puppies get on together & so you can see for yourself what the puppy is like?

It sounds like you are doing really well with your own puppy so there's no reason why having another puppy shouldn't work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I think she's just finding it a bit too much being a first time puppy owner. There is an added issue that she's moving in to a new flat next week and dogs aren't allowed....

I've seen him in classes for a few weeks and he seems to be ok - still a bit puppy jumpy and hyper (but then so is mine). He came as a pup from the local kennels (which is also where we got Pepper and I think is another reason I want him cos I think he'll end up there again). I think I'll at least invite her round tomoro and see how the two dogs get on - Pepper is my priority obv.

I just felt so sorry for the two of them - I would be heartbroken if I had to give my pup up.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only just seen this topic and we have always had either two or three dogs together (different ages) but at the moment have two sister pups and an older dog.

Some people say that when you introduce another dog to the house with older dogs, let them meet on neutral territory for the first time. You could maybe take your older dog with you when you collect your pup so they ride back in the car together or take your older dog outside of the house to meet your new pup on the day you fecth him/her!

Enjoy them both! We've always found that pups will learn their toileting habits from copying an older dog!

Edit for babeegirl re previous post: From experience of always having had two or three dogs in our house since I was born, I know you'll love having another puppy and so will your older dog and they'll be great company for one another. I hope they will get on well when you meet up (on neutral territory is best)!
  • ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great advice from everyone !

Guess a lot of it has to do with the existing dog's temperament .

Our lovely 5 year old Irish setter loves our 4 month old Italian Greyhound ( and vica versa).
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have always had at least two Basset Hounds (more often three dogs, which is what we have now) and I think that two dogs (providing they get on OK together) are company for one another if you have to leave them for a few hours and they can cuddle up together at night as well and we have never had a whiney pup because they've always had company.

Last July we got two sister Basset pups and we have never ever heard a peep from them at night as they were already used to each other, they are just brilliant and so playful and they get on well with their 10-year old doggy pal as well!

One time we had a 12-year old female Basset Hound who took on a new lease of life when we got a young puppy and they soon became the best of friends for almost another four years!

I wonder if babeegirl has got the 'unwanted' pup! If so, I hope all is going well! Once you've had two dogs I bet you wouldn't go back to being a one-dog family! ;)