The best Stephen King books

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
Forum Member
✭✭
What are your favourites?

Comments

• jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    The Stand, Christine, The one with The Body and Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption (can't remember the name of it :o)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    The Stand, Christine, The one with The Body and Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption (can't remember the name of it :o)

It's called Different Seasons!
    My favorites are IT, The Stand, The Dark Tower series and Christine!
  • NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Stand. 'Salem's Lot. Misery. The Shining.

I didn't really rate any of the others I read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    My top five:

1) It
    2) Night Shift
    3) The Stand
    4) Misery
    5) Desperation

It being one of my all-time favourite books ever.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salem's lot
    Christine
    Pet Sematary
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (I know, but someone has to)
    Gerald's Game

The first four Dark Tower books, i.e. before SK shoved his head up his colon.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's full Dark no stars like?
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like them all and it difficult to choose favourites, but I'll go with;

Salam's Lot, It, Firestarter, The Shining and The Dead Zone.
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different Seasons
    Misery
    IT
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love them all. I find it very hard to pick favourites but I think my top 5 would be

Bag of Bones
    Duma Key
    The Stand
    Liseys Story
    Desparation.

But I really do love them all!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    What's full Dark no stars like?

Its good. 4 Stories some better than others. The last one in the book about the woman who discovers her hubby is a serial killer and what she does about it is superb, as is the one about the author who takes revenge on her attacker using the "brain power" of her literary creations.

The other two are pretty good but not as good as those above.
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Stand (uncut)
    The Long Walk (as Bachman)
    The Tommyknockers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    I thought that Cell was actually a superb read.

Currently reading Misery, imo its actually so-so.

My favourites would be Carrie, The Stand and It.
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    his recent stuff has been a bit ropey. Under the dome was good until the last couple of chapters when he seemed to run out of ideas and wrote somenonsence about aliens.

The Stand/Christine/Salems Lot and The Shining are my favourites which I can re-read over and over again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    speigel wrote: »
    his recent stuff has been a bit ropey. Under the dome was good until the last couple of chapters when he seemed to run out of ideas and wrote somenonsence about aliens.

The Stand/Christine/Salems Lot and The Shining are my favourites which I can re-read over and over again.

I picked that up but it didn't seem that interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Its good. 4 Stories some better than others. The last one in the book about the woman who discovers her hubby is a serial killer and what she does about it is superb, as is the one about the author who takes revenge on her attacker using the "brain power" of her literary creations.

The other two are pretty good but not as good as those above.

I might get it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone like Thinner?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone like Thinner?

Yep Thinner is a great story. In fact most of the stories he originally wrote as Richard Bachman are very good.

I love "The Long Walk" which was a Bachman book. I found that one haunted me a little after finishing it especially because the ending was typical King.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cujo
    The Shinig
    Pet Semetary

And going to start Full Dark No Stars any moment!

Couldn`t read Misery, I just couldn`t go on with it, it gave me nightmares!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speigel wrote: »

Unfortunately that can be said about quite a few of his books (especially the Stand (hand of god my a*se)

Rage is probably my favourite,
    plus
    The Long Walk
    The Gunslinger
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Shining's probably my favourite... scared the crap out of me first time I read it, and on a deeper level it's an awesome metaphor for alcoholism (something I had little knowledge of when I first read it, but now is quite an important issue for me).

That said, the story "N" in Just After Sunset is one of the finest pieces of horror fiction I have read in YEARS. And I've read a lot.
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a tie between The Stand and The Talisman. I never see people rave about the Talisman but I thought it was amazing.

I also really enjoyed cell but I tend to like his older books better than his newstuff.

Rita Heyworth and the Shawshank redemption and the Library policeman are my two fav novellas.
  • +Quattro++Quattro+ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Needful Things, The Stand, The Shining, Dolores Claiborne, The Talisman (with Peter Straub) and the sequel Black House although The Talisman is easily my pick of the two; Hearts in Altantis (re reading yet again just now), Insomnia, Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption and of course the amazing The Green Mile.

Plus all of The Dark Tower series.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Yep Thinner is a great story. In fact most of the stories he originally wrote as Richard Bachman are very good.

I love "The Long Walk" which was a Bachman book. I found that one haunted me a little after finishing it especially because the ending was typical King.

Just looked at that on amazon it looks quite good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't read quite a few of these mentioned I will have to look them up :)

I started watching a T.V movie of Stephen Kings once but never ended up seeing the end, I can't remember what it was called. It was about a town of people that ended up taking refuge in a church because some Aliens or monsters where after them They where taking all their children. Does anyone know what book it might be based on?
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't read quite a few of these mentioned I will have to look them up :)

I started watching a T.V movie of Stephen Kings once but never ended up seeing the end, I can't remember what it was called. It was about a town of people that ended up taking refuge in a church because some Aliens or monsters where after them They where taking all their children. Does anyone know what book it might be based on?

It sounds a bit like "Storm of the Century" which was written for tv and not based on a book.