Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    Some people just say its rubbish etc. but don't say why.

Is it the acting? The script? The subject matter?

If you're going to do that, please enlighten everyone.
    And some people have said that they love it, it's great, funniest thing ever but haven't said why.

I've explained some of my negatives along with my positives in the thread.
    Cathrin and Alrightmate have outlined their position in several of their posts.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaFleur wrote: »
    I've finally caught up with Derek after having the episodes on Sky Plus. I think it has been really good, I saw alot of reports saying that Derek was Gervais making fun of the disabled and was cruel. Well personally i think its been the opposite! I think its actually been positive, how caring is the character of Derek? All he wants is for the elders to be happy, even if its at his own expense. In fact how caring have all the people been who work in the home....even Kev to an extent

What the show has highlighted is how poorly we treat our elders.....in terms of 'family' just deserting them, and how well the majority of care staff wether paid or volunteers treat them. My favourite scene was when Karl Pilkingtons character had a rant at the 'daughter' who'd never visited her mother but was suddenly there when she died claiming all the family silver like a magpie.

What this show has highlighted is how poorly the elderly are treated and how well the majority of care staff and volunteers treat them.....in this fictional comedy drama.

When you say 'we', it's a bit of an assumption, as many people treat the elderly well, and care staff and volunteers sometimes treat them very badly......in real life.
    When it comes to majorities and what proportion either care for the elderly or not is very much open to debate.

This fictional TV show set in the fictional care home Broad Hill speaks for the fictional characters within it. It doesn't necessarily 'highlight' real life.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think it's Gervais's best performance in something since The Office.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of people don't like it because it's not as laugh-out-loud funny as, say, Extras. It's enjoyable and feel good and moderately funny which makes it a good show, but I think people see Gervais and are expecting every scene to be like Ian McKellen's guide to acting.

People just expect to see believable acting given that this is a comedy drama style show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    And some people have said that they love it, it's great, funniest thing ever but haven't said why.

I've explained some of my negatives along with my positives in the thread.
    Cathrin and Alrightmate have outlined their position in several of their posts.

I think it's interesting that with people on the forums, if they criticise a TV show then they are expected to justify their opinion in order to validate it. Yet if people have nothing but praise for something then no further justification is required at all.
    As though the default position to take is supposed to be one which is positive regardless of anything, and that criticism is deemed to be wrong by default.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm one of the posters with mixed feelings about the show. In a nutshell: I love Dougie, love Hannah, I find Kev grating and out of place, I'm irritated by the repetitive and simplistic morality stories ( ruthless materialistic cartoon baddie relatives two weeks running, delinquent youngsters magically transformed overnight) etc).

....And there's one big overriding uneasiness that won't go away: when I look at the Derek character, I can't help thinking of (a) that similarly-mannerismed character Ricky played in his stand-up to poke fun at autograph hunters, and (b) the comment he made about Susan Boyle, (That phrase "Is that a....?" still resounds in my mind, and it's particularly hard to forget in this sort of context).

I usually enjoy participating in threads like this and engaging with other people's opposing views. But I'm wary of this particular thread, because of the personal stuff that the show's fans keep projecting onto its critics. Over and over again on this thread, I've seen critics post perfectly reasonable and well-argued viewpoints, only to be unfairly accused of all kinds of personal stuff like "spite, anger, bitterness, bile, hate," etc. None of these qualities are actually present in the critics' posts, but for some reason some--(not all)--defenders of the show seem to project these emotions onto those who disagree with them. Plus there's the endlessly repeated "Go and watch something else then, why are you watching the show if you don't like it?" ...Which misses the point that (a) we might partially like it, and (b) this is a forum for discussion of views, so it should be taken as a given that some people will dislike what others like, and both viewpoints are equally valid. I would never dream of making personal comments about someone for *liking* a show, so I genuinely don't understand why those who *dislike* a show should find themselves being criticized and sniped at.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Some people just say its rubbish etc. but don't say why.

Is it the acting? The script? The subject matter?

If you're going to do that, please enlighten everyone.

The acting isn't rubbish, but Gervais has a habit of dropping out of character to deliver a line. This leads to the whole thing being written badly. Gervais cannot write for Derek, only himself. He's so caught up by what he wants to tell the world that he's forced to drop the character in order to prove his point.

Gervais lying, actually lying, about the origins of Derek is worrying. Why nobody is questioning the hideous hypocrisy is a shame.

Astounded this garbage has a second series. But not too astounded to watch it. ;) I have to keep watching this Gervais train wreck.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People just expect to see believable acting given that this is a comedy drama style show.

Yep and believable actions. Gervais is the one who has told us this is a drama with laughs. So in drama you expect things to make sense.

But what happens in Derek is so bizarre it would only work in a broad, slapstick based sitcom.
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    The acting isn't rubbish, but Gervais has a habit of dropping out of character to deliver a line. .

That's just reminded me: there was a moment in Extras that really seemed out of place, when RG suddenly seemed to forget he was playing Andy Millman and turned into David Brent instead. I remember it very vividly because I started a thread on it at the time asking if anyone else had noticed it (I just did a quick search and found the thread!) http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=557095 That popped back into my mind when I read your post about dropping out of character (which I agree with 100%).
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you want some nitpicking then when Derek introduced Duran Duran it didn't sound like Derek. Obviously it was the same voice but it was just Gervais saying it without any mannerisms.
    It's hard to explain but it just seemed to be said in a nonchalant manner that didn't fit Derek's character.

I know that is sad :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Yep and believable actions. Gervais is the one who has told us this is a drama with laughs. So in drama you expect things to make sense.

But what happens in Derek is so bizarre it would only work in a broad, slapstick based sitcom.

Have you noticed how many times Ricky looks to the camera as if he wants to break out in to David Brent, but has to hold back instead by doing the weird chin thing.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumpity, bump bump:D
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    Ewwwww. Just turned over for this to be greeted by the sight of a newborn baby covered in blood an goo:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When one bump isn't enough.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ewwwww. Just turned over for this to be greeted by the sight of a newborn baby covered in blood an goo:eek:

That's nothing....did you check out his mothers complexion.....
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I bet she dies.

Seriously though, this is lovely. There are old couples exactly like Lizzie and her husband.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I bet she dies.

Seriously though, this is lovely. There are old couples exactly like Lizzie and her husband.

Reminds me of when my grandad dies
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of when my grandad dies

Does he die on a regular occurence then?
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Who else got pissed off on behalf of Gerald? Get the bloody camera out of his face! And yes, I am taking it too seriously. Ahem!
  • demfedemfe Posts: 15,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    strangely enough, I found the 'behind the scenes' programme last week much more engaging, warm, funny and revealing than the actual show.....
    Forum Member
    Oh please god, not one of those musical montages again:yawn:
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like all of the characters, except for Kev. He's just too OTT for my liking.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    The dreaded Coldplay again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    I like all of the characters, except for Kev. He's just too OTT for my liking.

I didn't like kev till that bit about his mind being a war....he's won me round.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dougie needs to say something to change dereks mind about his dad.....