Samsung Tab 2 7.0 Wi - Fi connection problems......

SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
Forum Member
We're having problems with home based Wi-Fi connection.

I'm with Virgin Broadband and I've been attempting to connect a Samsung Tablet 2 7.0 through my Netgear DG834G -V4 Router. I type security access code into tablet on my SSID and on the tablet screen it keeps coming up as 'incorrect password' and 'authentication failed '.The password I'm using IS the correct password.

Does anyone have the slightest idea where I'm going wrong? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caps lock ON?
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    AVTECH wrote: »
    Caps lock ON?

No, caps lock is not on. I'm assuming that I must need to do something else in my router to allow the Samsung Tablet to connect to Wi-Fi. I'm betting that this is a simple issue to resolve..........
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turn WPA 2 off, get it working, redo it.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    We're having problems with home based Wi-Fi connection.

I'm with Virgin Broadband and I've been attempting to connect a Samsung Tablet 2 7.0 through my Netgear DG834G -V4 Router. I type security access code into tablet on my SSID and on the tablet screen it keeps coming up as 'incorrect password' and 'authentication failed '.The password I'm using IS the correct password.

Does anyone have the slightest idea where I'm going wrong? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Are you using the router's password rather than the one provided by the ISP?

I ask this because I also have a Netgear router with talk talk broadband. After I initially set up the router, I now have to use the router's password to connect my devices not my ISP's password.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried clicking on “Forget” network then re-entering the password as a new network.
    Forum Member
    Are you using the router's password rather than the one provided by the ISP?

I ask this because I also have a Netgear router with talk talk broadband. After I initially set up the router, I now have to use the router's password to connect my devices not my ISP's password.

Thanks. I'm using the router password, which is the password I changed from the original router default setting. I've not been using any ISP password?
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you had success connecting other WiFi devices? Is there any way the router could have been reset to factory defaults, i.e. original password? (I don't understand why you would want to change the original password, which will be on a label somewhere, in any case.)

Have you tried connecting your phone, for example?
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Have you had success connecting other WiFi devices? Is there any way the router could have been reset to factory defaults, i.e. original password? (I don't understand why you would want to change the original password, which will be on a label somewhere, in any case.)

Have you tried connecting your phone, for example?

Thanks for your reply. The tab is the first thing other than my laptop that I've ever tried to connect to the Netgear router.

Underneath the router it states default settings as Username: Virgin (Virgin Broadband) and Password: Password.The only other information underneath the router is a Mac number and a serial number. I was advised to reset the Wi- Fi password from the default setting to another number up to 63 characters long. My security password is 9 characters long.This is the password that I've been using to attempt connection of the Tab to my home Wi-Fi.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd half figured you meant that.
    The wifi password has nothing to do with the router password. You change the password via the router configuration which has its very own password.

As said turn off WPA 2, get wifi working, and only then designate a new Wifi password for WPA 2.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I'd half figured you meant that.
    The wifi password has nothing to do with the router password. You change the password via the router configuration which has its very own password.

As said turn off WPA 2, get wifi working, and only then designate a new Wifi password for WPA 2.

Thanks for those suggestions, which I was about to try until I found another solution to the issue. The fix turned out to be very simple after scouring various pages related to this problem through a Google search.

Apparently, I needed to locate the Wireless Station Access List found in the Wireless Settings of my Netgear router.
    Then, deselect Turn Access Control On. The tablet has now connected. I've then added it to Trusted Wireless Staions, applied and that appears to be it - issue resloved!

I assume this is going to continue working but I may be back. Thanks for your assistance Alan, and to everybody else in this thread that took the time to offer advice - it was very much appreciated.