DivX Player

Hi there ... a friend at work is getting fed up with the converting programmes/films he has recorded on hi PC with TV card, and is in the market for a DivX player which can handle both R and RW discs.

At the moment, he just wants something fairly low spec so I've seen this Bush one from Argos

After searching on here, I see that a few people gave a big thumbs up for an Eltax unit but that no longer seems to be available anywhere.

Can anyone else recommend one ... he wants value for money rather than the top notch best one out there ... say £50 max but he will happily spend less!

EDIT - I have just seen this Umax Kazuki 7400X (previously Yamada) ... any thoughts?

Comments

• meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Philips DVP5960 is excellent and can be had for £49.99 in Sainsbury's - a saving of 1p! (£20 off the original retail price.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I retired my Philips 5962 which also played DivX. It was the biggest POS DVD player I ever owned. I replaced it with an Avelink Network Capable DVD player which I now have hooked up to my home wired network and it also has a USB port on it. It wasn't cheap, but I did get a good deal on it at CompUSA.

Paul@justmanuals.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Lidl have the Silvercrest one back in on Thursday (5 April) at £29.99. I got one in December and have been very happy with it. Has always played any DivX/Xvid that I've thrown at it.

GC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    Lidl have the Silvercrest one back in on Thursday (5 April) at £29.99. I got one in December and have been very happy with it. Has always played any DivX/Xvid that I've thrown at it.

GC

Does this have a USB for Divx?
    Forum Member
    brattbakkk wrote:
    Does this have a USB for Divx?

Yes, on the front it has USB and 7-in-1 card reader.

HTH
    Forum Member
    Yes, on the front it has USB and 7-in-1 card reader.

HTH

Are you sure?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070405.p.DVD_Player.ar8

Icing on the cake would be HDMI upscaling :confused:
    Forum Member
    brattbakkk wrote:
    Are you sure?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070405.p.DVD_Player.ar8

Icing on the cake would be HDMI upscaling :confused:

Yes, I'm sure. To the right of the buttons and disc slot on the front of the machine, there's a USB connector and 7-in-2 card reader hidden behind a panel.

No HDMI upscaling though.
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm sure. To the right of the buttons and disc slot on the front of the machine, there's a USB connector and 7-in-2 card reader hidden behind a panel.

No HDMI upscaling though.

http://www.bargainstock.co.uk/Product.asp?pid=620

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....with HDMI
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    There is a Phillips HDMI Upscaling DVD player with Divx for £50 HERE

No USB or card reader though :(
    Forum Member
    Just nipped out to Sainsbury's and bought it for £47........now all I need is a HDMI cable.......have you seen the price of them :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    This HDMI cable from Play seems quite good value:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/STTS4/3-/1112312/Linx_2_4m_Luxury_24k_Gold_Plated_HDMI_Cable/Product.html

I also believe Sainsburys did have some very cheap ones in-store recently.

By the way, if you read some of the AVFORUM threads, you will see that the advice is to buy the cheapest HDMI cable you can find. The general consensus is that with digital cables, there is no difference between expensive and cheap cables. When you are simply sending 0s and 1s, they either work or do not, there is no way of getting the 0s and 1s to the other end in better quality! So do not be fooled into buying an expensive one with over inflated claims.

This does not apply to analogue where buying good quality is important.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brattbakkk wrote:
    Just nipped out to Sainsbury's and bought it for £47........now all I need is a HDMI cable.......have you seen the price of them :mad:

Yes - extortion-ville.

- Try this link
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote:
    Yes - extortion-ville.

- Try this link

I'm waiting until this Thursday http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070405.p.HDMI_Cable_-_2m.ar8 :D
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brattbakkk wrote:
    Can't argue with £4.99 for a 2m HDMI cable!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know of a good and preferably cheap DVD recorder with DIVX and HDMI?
    Forum Member
    mparker wrote:
    Does anyone know of a good and preferably cheap DVD recorder with DIVX and HDMI?

Nope.....not cheap anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the comments guys ... and here comes a ridiculously easy question (probably):

As I said, this is for someone at work and I personally have no DivX experience. The reason he wants one is that he has a WinTV card and when he records/saves programmes he then has to go through a lengthy conversion process to save them onto a DVD to watch on his normal TV. If he gets a DivX player will it simply be a case of record/save programme onto HDD and then transfer this to DVD (ie no conversion at all)??
    Forum Member
    brattbakkk wrote:

Tried it last night....not worth it really. Firstly the upscaling makes no difference whatsover, so far as my eyes can tell. It also streches any 4:3 automatically, i.e. menus on DVD's.

The good thing is the Divx from memory stick works a treat.

I'll be returning this unit and getting this one from Lidl tomorrow http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070405.p.DVD_Player.ar8
    Forum Member
    A-Friend wrote:
    Thanks for all the comments guys ... and here comes a ridiculously easy question (probably):

As I said, this is for someone at work and I personally have no DivX experience. The reason he wants one is that he has a WinTV card and when he records/saves programmes he then has to go through a lengthy conversion process to save them onto a DVD to watch on his normal TV. If he gets a DivX player will it simply be a case of record/save programme onto HDD and then transfer this to DVD (ie no conversion at all)??

If he you download in Divx/Xvid format you can either copy to a memory device e.g. Memory stick, external hard drive or a CD.

If the dvd player has a USB then you simply plug in the memory stick/hard drive and press play. Alternatively if the dvd player has no USB but can play Divx/Xvid then they play this via CD.