Options

Films based on true stories - do you like them? - your favourites?

124»

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Based might be the wrong word - Inspired?

There's a documentary on this week about the story behind The Silence of the Lambs
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    If you think Insidious is a true story then you need help! :eek:

There's a great little TV movie called Stalking Laura which came out in 1993. Richard Thomas stars as a guy stalking co-worker Brooke Shields. All based on a true story and totally chilling. One of the best TV movies I've seen. Just don't watch the version they've been showing on the True Entertainment channel as it's cut to ribbons!

I never said that it was a true story, the thread is asking films that you like that are based on (huge difference) a true story. Apparently The Amytival Horror book already played liberties with the true story, and the film even more so. The book called Girl Interrupted is very different from the film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

There's a documentary on this week about the story behind The Silence of the Lambs

It means the same thing, both based and inspired don't mean that it's 100% a true story
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    It means the same thing, both based and inspired don't mean that it's 100% a true story
    I never said it was 100% true. There are different meanings of based on and inspired by. In my mind anyway. I would say based on there would be a closer comparison to the real life events. Inspired by is a lot looser.

Then again maybe i'm on my own with that theory.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree with that theory.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Good word choice. It fits better.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Battle of Britain
    A Bridge Too Far
    The Longest Day
    The Dambusters
    633 Squadron
    First of the Few
    Zulu
    Quiz Show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no it's wrong. The book Girl Interupted was written by the woman in the story. The film is very very very different, even though it's only based on a true story. However, the main ingredients are still present in the film, if you've read the book and seen the film you will know what I mean.

The Human Centipede was inspired by the nazi medical experiments. The Candyman was inspired events in a real life block of council flats. The Stuff was inspired by people's obsession of coca cola and MacDonalds. Similarly Child's Play was originally inspired by parent's obsession of cabbage patch dolls until the script was changed by the financiers in their wisdom. 28 Days Latter was inspired by the out brake of killer flu virus' as well as the threat of chemical weapons that was whipped up by the media at the time. A Nightmare On Elm Street was inspired by a news article that writer-director Wes Craven had read about in south east Asia where teens were frightened to go to sleep because they feared they won't wake up. American Beauty was inspired by the court trial of a teen who was dating her teacher. The Exorcist and The Silence Of The Lambs were also inspired by true stories as someone said.

However, these films all differ because their plot is far removed from the true events. Writers have to get their inspiration from somewhere.
  • Options
    cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently watched Beyond the Hills (După dealuri) based on the novel Deadly Confession re-telling true events in a Roumanian monastery in 2005. Captivating central performances with credible, though lengthy, plot development. Reminiscent in some ways of the 2006 film Requiem that is also based on true events. Hollywood transposed Requiem's character to the States in The Exorcism of Mary Rose. The IMDB page says the latter's storyline "was heavily adapted for cinematic purposes".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
  • Options
    Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Doubtfire
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ghandi - excellent film with Ben Kingsley in the title role.

Not a fan of Will Smith but enjoyed his role in the Pursuit of
    Happyness. I actually felt sorry for the character.
    Very well portrayed and loved the scene at the end when the real life person the film was based on walked past him
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love them although the film re diana looks diabolical. Loved changeling with Angelina Jolie
  • Options
    Philip DaltonPhilip Dalton Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    intruder2k wrote: »
    If you think Insidious is a true story then you need help! :eek:

There's a great little TV movie called Stalking Laura which came out in 1993. Richard Thomas stars as a guy stalking co-worker Brooke Shields. All based on a true story and totally chilling. One of the best TV movies I've seen. Just don't watch the version they've been showing on the True Entertainment channel as it's cut to ribbons!

Here is a link to the full movie here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4-iS7rT4D0&list=HL1378061367&feature=mh_lolz

Forgive me for the annoying subtitles in a foreign language. My word, being stalked by John Boy from The Waltons must be every woman's nightmare.