DMR-EX88 - No Sound from Tuner

Hi guys, I have a Panasonic DMR-EX88 PVR, it's been working fine for years then just the other day I had the message come up saying "New Services Found" as it does quite regularly, so I re-scanned it to fine now there's no sound coming from the tuner?
If I play back a previously recorded program that's fine? If I insert a DVD and play that, that's fine too both produce sound? However if I make a new recording or try to watch live TV there's No sound?
I have tried a factory re-set and powered the unit off several times in the hope to reboot the sound but nothing?
Is there any "Hidden" menu's on this device or other things I could try to try to restore the sound? or is it simply bust :-(

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Factory Reset should reset the unit back to the state it was in when you first switched it on. That should have included a full retune. Which should have wiped the tuning memory and restored it from the retune. Therefore if there was a problem with the tuning memory you would have expected that to correct it.

Usually deleting all the tuning information then retuning solves some of the problems associated with reception. I do recall some years ago reading of problems some Freeview devices had with storing all the channels available. If you deleted some of the dross channels that often helped. Not sure if that would be the cause here but could be worth trying.

If simply deleting a few channels doesn't help try deleting all the channels then do a manual tune. Tune in the first mux then try the channels it finds to see if you get sound. If so delete any unwanted channels on that mux then tune in the second, delete any unwanted channels then repeat till all the muxes available are tuned in.

This does require knowledge of what UHF channel numbers to enter. If you don't know what they are enter your postcode into the checker on the DigitalUK webpage (www.digitaluk.co.uk) and tick Detailed View before clicking Go. This will show the most likely transmitter you should be receiving and lists the UHF channels (in the N columns) for each mux.

Other than that the only thing to check is that the sound settings are correct in the configuration menus. Though unlikely to be that if previous recordings play OK, but stranger things have been known to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    I wonder if there was a HDCP update for recording new material ?

Anyway can you pull out the HDMI lead and reinsert to see if that helps ?

I had to do that with my sky box just last week , and also I wonder if there was an update for your tv at the same time ?

Which may have been missed if you switch the tv off at night ?

What tv have you got ? You may be able to get an update for the tv if its connected to the internet directly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there was a HDCP update for recording new material ?

Anyway can you pull out the HDMI lead and reinsert to see if that helps ?

I had to do that with my sky box just last week , and also I wonder if there was an update for your tv at the same time ?

Which may have been missed if you switch the tv off at night ?

What tv have you got ? You may be able to get an update for the tv if its connected to the internet directly
    I doubt the DMR-EX88 has had any updates recently. It's not a current model. In any case any such update would be unlikely to only come into effect following a retune.

And I can't see how it can be the TV if DVDs or older recordings played back from the same machine, presumably over the same connecting cable, work OK. The fact that only Freeview broadcasts are affected suggests either a hardware failure or the tuning information is screwed up.
    Forum Member
    My sky box's had updates this week and were playing up, disconnected hdmi and reconnected and away they went
  • pauls898pauls898 Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Can I just add, I can view this machine output via it's SCART connection as well and that gives me the exact same symptom's (No Sound from the DVB Tuner) so that rules out problems with HDMI hand shaking well I hope that makes sense :-)
    Thanks for the help will try wiping the memory and trying just a few channels? Maybe it's being overloaded with channels since I re-scanned it?
    Forum Member
    what sound settings is in the machine ?

can you tell us if the tuner is on Channels or Frequency ?

Sometimes the Frequency can be slightly out in Tuning, resulting in loss of sound, or big crackles when watching a programme.

I think a rescan of your digital tuner may help
    Forum Member
    Hi I've just done a re-scan as it was telling me new stations found again!
    Found 128 channels, pictures are fine, 10 Quality on all channels, Radio station obviously don't work either lol I expect some circuitry/hardware internally has failed :-( A shame cus it's a nice machine, I can still use it to play DVD's but that's it as new recording don't work either, same they play back without sound, might try hooking up an external Digital Tuner see if I can record sound then? That would confirm a fault with the internal tuner circuitry.
    Forum Member
    hang on.

Can you tell us what channels are affected please & what transmitter you are on.

does your update put these channels where they should be ?

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/87481/Freeview_TV_guide_update_Childrens_and_News_channel_changes_post_3_Sept_2014.pdf
    Forum Member
    Yeah I got all those stations, I'm on the Sutton Coalfield Transmitter, UHF Channels 33, 39, 43, 46 and 51 I believe. All my TV's tune to these same channels and wok fine.
    Forum Member
    From Page 67 of your manual

Input NR
    Reduces noise during recording.
     Automatic: Noise reduction only works on picture input from
    a video tape.
     On: Noise reduction works for any video input.
     Off: Noise reduction is off. Select when you want to
    record input as is.

SWITCH OFF NR PLEASE

You can change the settings of audio when receiving the multichannel
    broadcast, and also change the settings of sound
    effect when playing discs.
    DVB Multi Audio
    [MPEG Audio only]
    If more than one audio channel is output, you can set the
    desired channel before recording.
     DVB Multi Audio cannot be selected during playback or
    recording.
     Depending on the broadcast, the items that can be selected
    will differ.
    English 1/ English 2

CHOOSE ENGLISH 1 & THEN ENGLISH 2

V.S.S.
    [HDD] [RAM] [-R] [-R]DL] [-RW‹V›] [+R] [+R]DL] [+RW] [DVD-V]
    [-RW‹VR›]
    (Dolby Digital, MPEG Audio with 2.0 or over channels only)
    This function does not work for bilingual recordings.
     Enjoy a surround-sound effect if you are using 2 front
    speakers (L/R) only.
     Turn off if it causes distortion.
    TURN IT OFF

Natural/Emphasis/Off
    Dialog Enhancer
    [HDD] [RAM] [-R] [-R]DL] [-RW‹V›] [+R] [+R]DL] [+RW] [DVD-V]
    [-RW‹VR›] and DivX
    (Dolby Digital, 3-channel or over only, including a centre
    channel)
    When “On”, the volume of the centre channel is raised to make
    dialogue easier to hear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes the Frequency can be slightly out in Tuning, resulting in loss of sound, or big crackles when watching a programme.

What does that mean? If you mean that the tuner hasn't locked onto the exact frequency of the mux then sound problems will be the least of your worries. if the tuning is out then most likely the demodulator and decoder will give up trying to make sense of the resulting mess and nothing will be received.

In the old analogue days then yes being a bit off tune could affect picture or sound quality but that does not apply to digital.
    Forum Member
    Some viewers in Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, South Lake District and South Yorkshire and Chesterfield may be affected by engineering work on the 3rd September that may require some viewers to retune to continue receiving BBC channels.

Taken from here http://www.a516digital.com/2014/04/Freeview-Retune-Day-September-2014-News-Childrens-Channel-moves.html

The Freeview update in September was a big thing. If you could try the Channels in Old numbers and New numbers to check you might get sound in one of them
    Forum Member
    Nah :-(

I've tried all those settings Nothing!

I even connected it to a different TV using HDMI, SCART and even resorted to trying the RED, White and Yellow leads, still no joy :-)

I removed the cover and had a poke and a prod inside to see if there were any loose connections? No luck there either :-( Something either Software or Hardware has died, so it's gone back to be used as a clock and a DVD upscale player as that's all it will do.

I must try feeding it with an external DVB receiver as there is a input SCART connector available on the back :-)