Windows 'hosts' file

bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been using a 500KB hosts file for a couple of years to reduce ads. (This is a file located in \windows\system32\drivers\etc containing a list of www sites to be blocked.)

However, I wanted to see an on-demand C5 program today, and it didn't work (just got a still picture where you might expect the play buttons etc to go; the FAQ didn't list this as one of the problems).

It started to work when I switched to an older, smaller 300KB hosts file. (I've also been having problems for a couple of months viewing Daily Mail comments, until I used a virtually empty hosts file.)

Clearly those operations are quietly being blocked because of some site they need which is in the hosts file, but what's the best way of finding out which it is? There is a trial and error method (a sort of 'binary search'), but that's too much work (and might not work when two or more sites are involved).

Or does someone know off-hand what they are?

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I remember my command lines correctly, you can run netstat to see what connections are being made to your PC whilst trying to browse to a site.

However, I find that the hosts file is too cumbersome to use these days. Utilities like Adblock Plus do just as good a job, and are easier to switch on/off.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had some recent queries and also found out C5 and others were not working.

Someone pointed me in the direction of HostsMan which works a treat.
    http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman

Click the green H to toggle the HOSTS file.

(Note: I have to temporarily disable my Avira AV real-time-protection to allow this. Turn back on after HOSTS is Off)

I also have to turn AdBlock+ off for some sites, to get full functionality on them.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Someone pointed me in the direction of HostsMan which works a treat
    That was me also using Avira but I don't have to disable it, hostsman switches on and off independently. What it may be is a setting in Avira to stop changes to the hosts file .... open Avira and go to 'extras' ... 'configuration' ... 'General' ...'Security' and untick 'protect Windows hosts file from changes'.

http://s30.postimg.org/avoiihr8h/Hosts.png

Edit : Just remembered the reason why I unticked wasn't Hostsman, it was to allow the MVPS hosts file to be installed .... still worth a try.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some friends and myself use adblockplus and ghostery to block unwanted ads and trackers.

A white list can be set up, a friend a truble logging into tumblr until it was whitelisted.

Hope this helps.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I use an add-on in Firefox called google disconnect which can also add to the confusion when clicking links in known good sites, things like bringing up a map, booking a car booking a Ryanair flight. It was confusing to begin with but I have left it on because it is easy to 'allow' the window to load with a click.
    Maybe over paranoia on my part but a way to stop google following you all over the net (maybe)
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    That was me also using Avira but I don't have to disable it, hostsman switches on and off independently. What it may be is a setting in Avira to stop changes to the hosts file .... open Avira and go to 'extras' ... 'configuration' ... 'General' ...'Security' and untick 'protect Windows hosts file from changes'.

http://s30.postimg.org/avoiihr8h/Hosts.png

Edit : Just remembered the reason why I unticked wasn't Hostsman, it was to allow the MVPS hosts file to be installed .... still worth a try.

Thanks for that. I do check all Avira Configuration deepest sub-levels regularly since it seems to require a full uninstall/reinstall every now and again and I like a clean custom setup..

I prefer to keep HOSTS protected since redirect malware is popular and you never know.