Options

Campaign to Get "Cankles" Grimshaw Signed Up By Record Company

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a lot of artists who aren't to my taste but I can see how people could be into them. Not the case with Aiden.

Doesn't mean you should mock his fans though surely? Just because you don't see anything special in him doesn't mean there isn't or that others don't.
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Hawk wrote: »
    The thing is with Aiden, I'm just not sure if the "intensity" isn't just "nervousness" and, at times, he came across, vocally, as being too "forced", in a contrived rather than natural kind of way

I'll be honest, I dislike those who smack of being desparately in it for the "fame" types, which rules out the likes of Murs and Waissel, which probably says more about the kind of person I am

I agree with all of the above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't mean you should mock his fans though surely? Just because you don't see anything special in him doesn't mean there isn't or that others don't.

Who's mocking? Stating an opinion that differs to that of others isn't mocking. Not my problem that so many Aiden fans are suspiciously defensive and insecure in their "fandom".
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Aiden thinks he deeper and more interesting than the rest of the country - I found his "intensity" totally unconvincing and fake
  • Options
    Dave HawkDave Hawk Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I agree with all of the above.

I even watched Olly Murs Revealed to see whether or not I could warm to him and that lad just came across as being spoilt, as though he expects number one hit, after hit, after hit all the time. I, seriously, think Joe's only purpose in winning, from Cowell's perspective, was to spare his EGO being trashed by the RATM Campaign

I wish Joe hadn't won
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Who's mocking? Stating an opinion that differs to that of others isn't mocking. Not my problem that so many Aiden fans are suspiciously defensive and insecure in their "fandom".

When certain individuals seem to get so much pleasure from bashing Aiden it is understandable that they may get defensive.

Just out of interest you said:
    There are a lot of artists who aren't to my taste but I can see how people could be into them. Not the case with Aiden.

Why is that? It doesn't make a lot of sense - why would Aiden not meet the same rules as you don't like him but others do. I loathe Cheryl Coles music but I do see why so many do. :confused:
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Aiden thinks he deeper and more interesting than the rest of the country - I found his "intensity" totally unconvincing and fake

I doubt Aiden ever thought this. But why let that get in the way of a perfectly good insult, right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol you contradicted yourself there. You called Aiden fans daft. I don't have a problem with you expressing your distaste for Aiden, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I'll ignore the bit about being defensive and insecure, they're totally unfounded accusations.
    I even watched Olly Murs Revealed to see whether or not I could warm to him and that lad just came across as being spoilt, as though he expects number one hit, after hit, after hit all the time. I, seriously, think Joe's only purpose in winning, from Cowell's perspective, was to spare his EGO being trashed by the RATM Campaign

I wish Joe hadn't won

I agree totally. Even his parents were interviewed saying "he needs a number one. He's sick of coming second all the time, he wants to be first." Kind of gives me the impression the fame is more important than the music which is something that makes someone look like a right **** of a person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    Why is that? It doesn't make a lot of sense - why would Aiden not meet the same rules as you don't like him but others do. I loathe Cheryl Coles music but I do see why so many do. :confused:

I say it because there are plenty of genres that aren't my cup of tea but I "get" why certain people within those genres are admired/liked.

I happen to like (among other things) a certain amount of music that's often and not very helpfully described as indie music.

Aiden's inauthentic to me in almost every way, his faux indie act is a construct that doesn't convince and even he appears to b unconvinced. He's a teenybopper trying o b something h isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree totally. Even his parents were interviewed saying "he needs a number one. He's sick of coming second all the time, he wants to be first." Kind of gives me the impression the fame is more important than the music which is something that makes someone look like a right **** of a person.

My very sentiments. And there's grounded, modest, humble and unassuming Joe telling us the week his album was out that he'd be delighted if it went Top 10, which it did

I, genuinely, think that if Joe, whatever happens moving forward, if he succeeds in making a living out of all he ever wanted to do - sing - no matter what capacity, he'd be well down the road to self-actualisation. And for any one, in any walk of life, who achieves that has succeeded :). He's had a tough time of 'winning' it yet remains constantly upbeat and positive, genuinely appreciative of what support he has received along the way. And that's the kind of spirit I not only admire but respect

Psychology is my subject, in so far as I'm a graduate in it, though politics is my passion (but I switch off from Advent through to Epiphany), and I'm pretty much of the humanist school in my thinking
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll ignore the bit about being defensive and insecure, they're totally unfounded accusations.

Hmmm. Right ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm. Right ;)

Moaning about fans you've never met only serves to make you look like the insecure person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm. Right ;)

Just a quick question: why are you trying to bait Aiden fans?
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are artists that I think have obviously great voices which appeal to me

There are artists that I think have voices that appeal to me, but where I can see that others would think haven't got a good voice.

Threre are artists that I think are good singers but just don't appeal but I can understand why others do.

There are artists where I just cannot understand the appeal at all but even then I don't quite understand the notion that others likeing them is amusing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    There are artists that I think have obviously great voices which appeal to me

There are artists that I think have voices that appeal to me, but where I can see that others would think haven't got a good voice.

Threre are artists that I think are good singers but just don't appeal but I can understand why others do.

There are artists where I just cannot understand the appeal at all but even then I don't quite understand the notion that others likeing them is amusing.

Well, I'd say that just about covers it all :D
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'd say that just about covers it all :D
    I like to be thorough :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    I like to be thorough :)

My mind, frequently, goes into 'overdrive' but, being bipolar II, I have to be careful so as not to enter a hypomanic state :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moaning about fans you've never met only serves to make you look like the insecure person.

Oh please - that only reinforces my argument. I'm not baiting anyone by disagreeing. We're here to debate aren't we?

_elly001 wrote: »
    Just a quick question: why are you trying to bait Aiden fans?

Ditto.
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And that's the thing very good to potentially great singers, need very good songs and Joe's up against a perception that he has been, musically, wasted

To be honest I think that idea is a little generous.

The only perception Joe is up against is that he is another XF failure.
    There were those, at the time, given his progress on the show, who felt Joe could have been the most successful of the X Factor alumini since Leona. It was common to see Joe termed a "singing sensation" or "golden-voiced", essentially because his delivery on harmonies, however, difficult, was flawless

My criticism with The Climb was that it's just too musically monotonous in its composition for Joe, which is why, for him, it was a poor song but in that last minute or so, he really hits it. The choir backed Joe; they, totally and utterly, carried Olly

Good singers are a dime a dozen it takes far more than being a good singer many times you don't even need that what you need is great songs. Leona was lucky to have got Bleeding Love - without it would she have been anywhere near as successful as she is somehow I doubt it.

As for The Climb its just a crap song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    To be honest I think that idea is a little generous.

The only perception Joe is up against is that he is another XF failure.

I, genuinely, think that if Joe, whatever happens moving forward, if he is able to make a living out of all he ever wanted to do - sing - no matter what capacity, he'll be well down the road to self-actualisation. And any one, in any walk of life, who achieves that, far from failing, they will have succeeded :)
    Tigerpaws wrote: »

Good singers are a dime a dozen it takes far more than being a good singer many times you don't even need that what you need is great songs. Leona was lucky to have got Bleeding Love - without it would she have been anywhere near as successful as she is somehow I doubt it.

How many recording artists have gone the distance? Nana Mouskouri would still be recording and touring if she hadn't retired of her own chosing in 2008, after 50 years, during which she sold between 200 and 300 million records. She was a favourite of my late father's

I don't know what would happened to Leona without 'Bleeding Love' but I just know this much. I've loved her, Shayne and Joe from the moment I heard them sing :). And that's all that matters to me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh please - that only reinforces my argument. I'm not baiting anyone by disagreeing. We're here to debate aren't we?

Ditto.

There's a difference between debating, and slinging personal insults at Aiden fans and then taking the moral high ground.

Unfortunately for you, Aiden fans are really happy with what Aiden is achieving at the moment and the support he has from various people both in 'fandom' and industry. The last thing we collectively are is 'defensive' and 'insecure'. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is he achieving? i haven't seen any Aiden's Achievement Threads :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member

You're not debating though are you? You've referred to Aiden fans as 'daft' as though to like Aiden and think he could get a recording contract is ridiculous. That's your opinion, others are entitled to theirs. Not everyone likes Aiden (we get that trust us!) but there are plenty of us that do and that would like him to get a record deal so that we can hear more from him. And if sending a few tweets each day helps to raise his profile and in turn potentially lead to a contract then I will do it. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't - who knows? But I'm not hurting anyone by doing it.
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    I say it because there are plenty of genres that aren't my cup of tea but I "get" why certain people within those genres are admired/liked.

I happen to like (among other things) a certain amount of music that's often and not very helpfully described as indie music.

Aiden's inauthentic to me in almost every way, his faux indie act is a construct that doesn't convince and even he appears to b unconvinced. He's a teenybopper trying o b something h isn't.

Seems to me you are making it up as you go along. That makes no sense and you know it. You say each to their own but not in his case as he is not authentic and trying to be something he isn't? Before he even releases anything of his own? Is every other artist in the world unique and individual? No artist is unique as they will take ideas and styles from artists before them - Cher borrows from other rappers, Rebecca follows on other jazz singers, 1D followed on from Take That and on and on it goes.

It all boils down to your opinion - which with your history of Aiden bashing is about as reliable as a chocolate watch. Just because you loathe him does not mean that he has any less right to get a contract or others have the right to support him without your approval.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    What is he achieving? i haven't seen any Aiden's Achievement Threads :confused:

Check out his Appreciation Thread if you're genuinely interested. But being invited on the tour, being invited to sing in London Selfridges, strong rumours of a modelling contract, the twitter trending phenomenon, a national newspaper picking up on this... all things which at this point can be considered achievements. And I'm sure more will follow once the contestants are officially released from their contracts.