Athletics 2013

Comments

• Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Looking at results/reports of the National champs this weekend, looks like the highlights were Holly Bleasdale's world lead of 5.77 & Robbie Grabarz apparantly went close at 2 attempts at 2.39 which would have been a British record.

Looking forward to the Indoor Grand Prix from Birmingham this weekend.

Does anyone know what happened to Marilyn Okoro? I think its recorded as a DNF.
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo09 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happened to Marilyn Okoro? I think its recorded as a DNF.

Hamstring injury apparently. She's out of the rest of the indoor season.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Birmingham Grand Prix this Saturday BBC1 13:00

Preview here
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    Hamstring injury apparently. She's out of the rest of the indoor season.

Thanks.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As well as the 2 day Diamond League meeting on 26th-27th July, there will also be a Paralympic meeting on the 28th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/21451705
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    there will also be a Paralympic meeting on the 28th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/21451705
    Will all the 'big names' be there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Will all the 'big names' be there

I doubt Oscar Pistorius will be.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some very strong accusations by Moses Kiptanui that doping is rife amongst the Kenyan team

Full Story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21471847
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the interview with Mo Farah at the start of coverage of the meet in Birmingham. I find it confusing that Mo is going to enter the London Marathon but is only going to complete half of the race, it does not make sense?:confused:
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see the point of running half a marathon at all, what does he learn from it? He's getting no impression of how fast he can run a proper half marathon as the other athletes won't be running at that pace and he won't learn how much he can push in a full length marathon as he isn't running all of it!

Sounds like a bit of a publicity stunt by the race organisers really so they can put Mo Farah on the bill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree on Farah running half of the London marathon, does sound odd.

Enjoyed the meeting this afternoon - overall the women's races were probably most exciting. Excellent 60m & 400m including some good PBs for Shakes Drayton & Childh. Holly Bleasdale continues to show good form & Shara Proctor ran well.

Really pleased to see Jenny Meadows back - but think she should have got her medal in front of the crowd there not the TV camera.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    Can't see the point of running half a marathon at all, what does he learn from it? He's getting no impression of how fast he can run a proper half marathon as the other athletes won't be running at that pace and he won't learn how much he can push in a full length marathon as he isn't running all of it!

Sounds like a bit of a publicity stunt by the race organisers really so they can put Mo Farah on the bill.

Seen some suggestions on Twitter that Mo is doing this as he is sponsored by Virgin Media (Virgin happen to sposor the London Marathon) & that he's planning to donate his fee to his foundation. A win win all round as they say.

I guess Usain Bolt will also be lining up & running the first 200m and David Tennant & Stephen Fry will be among the celebs running. :p
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,429
    Forum Member
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    I watched the interview with Mo Farah at the start of coverage of the meet in Birmingham. I find it confusing that Mo is going to enter the London Marathon but is only going to complete half of the race, it does not make sense?:confused:

He is reputedly being paid £250,000 to run half of the London Marathon to help him prepare for 2014 when he will be paid £500,000 to run the full distance. :confused:
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    I doubt Oscar Pistorius will be.
    With the latest news about his alleged doping, his halo is heading for the centre of the earth!!
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iqbal_M wrote: »

Makes perfect sense to me if he feels he isn't in a position to run 26.2 miles hard just yet. He's doing half marathon distance at the moment.. he's running one next weekend in the US.. so him doing just half at London isn't a gimmick. This will then allow him to step up to the full Marathon distance over time.. just like any other runner.

And as he says, if he can do it, why not. Plus it allows him to scout the event.. experience the press commitments etc and get a feel for what the course is like this year so next year, assuming all goes to plan, he turns up at the start line knowing what's what and will be fully prepared.

I say good luck to him. It's about time we had someone to cheer for at the front of the mens marathon field in London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Team for the Euro Indoors next week has been announced. Great to see Jenny Meadows on the team again & as captain too.

Lots of comment on twitter though about selections - a fair few people who are highly ranked in Europe haven't been selected e'g. No men's 1500m runners. Selection does seem as if it's perhaps a bit too tough especially as the European Indoors has always been more of a development event.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21505871
    Forum Member
    Makes perfect sense to me if he feels he isn't in a position to run 26.2 miles hard just yet. He's doing half marathon distance at the moment.. he's running one next weekend in the US.. so him doing just half at London isn't a gimmick. This will then allow him to step up to the full Marathon distance over time.. just like any other runner.

And as he says, if he can do it, why not. Plus it allows him to scout the event.. experience the press commitments etc and get a feel for what the course is like this year so next year, assuming all goes to plan, he turns up at the start line knowing what's what and will be fully prepared.

I say good luck to him. It's about time we had someone to cheer for at the front of the mens marathon field in London.
    Because it makes a mockery of the event? The majority are probably running it for charity. If they stop half way through it'll be because they are absolutely knackered and can't go any further but most will push themselves to the line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it makes a mockery of the event? The majority are probably running it for charity. If they stop half way through it'll be because they are absolutely knackered and can't go any further but most will push themselves to the line.

The elite races have always been very different, pretty much separate beasts though really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More on the selection 'controversy' for teh Ero Indoors here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21512369
    Forum Member
    The elite races have always been very different, pretty much separate beasts though really.
    Ok, i'll go with professional pride instead :D
    Forum Member
    More on the selection 'controversy' for teh Ero Indoors here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21512369
    Oh no!! It looks like more CVC style nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »

Well you can't blame him as he's left now. This is the new guy Eriksson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »

Seems a bit crazy, 1500 indoors is a roll of the dice, if you've got someone semi decent you take them.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's quite common for elites to stop before the end of marathons if it's not going to plan for them. There is a joke that some even stop just after half way because the elite hotel is there.
    Forum Member
    Well you can't blame him as he's left now. This is the new guy Eriksson.
    Yeah, I meant he's acting like I would have expected CVC to behave.