Options

itvbe HD 118?

remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
Forum Member
Just got a digigude update with itvbe HD on 118 is there any truth to this launching?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Mistake.
    ITVbeHD, when it launches, will be like ITV2, 3 & 4 HD; pay channels.

The SD channel is on 118 though.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure?

ITV Be, ITV Be+1 and ITV Be HD are free on Virgin. Maybe they will be free on satellite as well?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Are you sure?

ITV Be, ITV Be+1 and ITV Be HD are free on Virgin. Maybe they will be free on satellite as well?

Nothings free on Virgin Media, you have to pay a subscription. You can't go out and buy a box and watch the free channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, why do ITV themselves say otherwise?

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-launch-itvbe
    ...available free on all the major broadcasting platforms, including Freeview, Sky and Virgin Media.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's technically incorrect as if you cancel a Virgin TV subscription you lose everything, even so called 'free' channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »

Already acknowleged ITV-be in SD is free on all platforms, but the Virgin platform is unique in that the platform is not free. You can buy a Freeview Box and connect it to an aerial, you can buy a Freesat box or a sky box and connect it to a dish and other than the cost of the kit there is no ongoing subscription for free to air content. You cannot buy a Virgin box and expect it to work for free. Not a Virgin subscriber but doesn't it cost extra to rent a box capable of receiving HD (even the totally free channels) ? I had a free box from Virgin for a while, it was SD only and the only way to watch free HD channels was to pay an increased rental charge, so how can you say the HD channels are free.

CH5-HD isn't free, neither are the ITV-HD channels other than ITV1-HD. Why would ITV-BE be free in HD. ?
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    Already acknowleged ITV-be in SD is free on all platforms, but the Virgin platform is unique in that the platform is not free. You can buy a Freeview Box and connect it to an aerial, you can buy a Freesat box or a sky box and connect it to a dish and other than the cost of the kit there is no ongoing subscription for free to air content. You cannot buy a Virgin box and expect it to work for free. Not a Virgin subscriber but doesn't it cost extra to rent a box capable of receiving HD (even the totally free channels) ? I had a free box from Virgin for a while, it was SD only and the only way to watch free HD channels was to pay an increased rental charge, so how can you say the HD channels are free.

CH5-HD isn't free, neither are the ITV-HD channels other than ITV1-HD. Why would ITV-BE be free in HD. ?

Isn't it the case with ITV2/3/4 HD on VM that you need the XL pack to get them? Is that the case also with Be HD or is that available as a basic HD channel along with 'M' subscription (or whatever it's called)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    Isn't it the case with ITV2/3/4 HD on VM that you need the XL pack to get them? Is that the case also with Be HD or is that available as a basic HD channel along with 'M' subscription (or whatever it's called)?

I have no idea, you need to ask Paddy C. Just know that viewing any TV on Virgin is not free, you have to have some sort of ongoing subscription (Same as Sky if you want to record anything).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have no idea, you need to ask Paddy C. Just know that viewing any TV on Virgin is not free, you have to have some sort of ongoing subscription (Same as Sky if you want to record anything).

Oh yes, fully agree with you there, no doubt about it, that's where Virgin have you as in effect there's no such a thing as 'free to air' channels up the DCAB pipe. In the analogue cable days some cable franchises would keep your PSB channels active to connect in to a TV but that's long gone. Paddy C, can you fill me in on the ITV Be HD sub level question?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would I know? I don't have Virgin Media, it isn't even available in my area!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ITVBe HD is in the XL package
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Mistake.
    ITVbeHD, when it launches, will be like ITV2, 3 & 4 HD; pay channels.

The SD channel is on 118 though.

^^^ This +1. While this new HD channel is on Virgin Media, it's not yet available on any other platform as far as I am currently aware although that may change with time. That said, given the way ITV currently operates, I would also fully expected any ITVBe HD channel on satellite to be only available as a paid-for channel on Sky with a higher value subscription.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^^ This +1. While this new HD channel is on Virgin Media, it's not yet available on any other platform as far as I am currently aware although that may change with time. That said, given the way ITV currently operates, I would also fully expected any ITVBe HD channel on satellite to be only available as a paid-for channel on Sky with a higher value subscription.

AFAIK, it will be the same as the HD versions for ITV2, 3 & 4. (Family Bundle on Sky)
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    If you connect a TV with a DVB-C decoder to VM cable it is possible to watch BBC, ITV, and CH 4 free to air but everything else is encrypted.
    Not quite "everything else".

In the East London area you get BBC Alba/Four/News/One/One London/One NI/One Scotland/One Wales/Parliament/Three/Two/Red Button. CBBC, & CBeebies. Channel 4 (&+1), Channel 5, ITV, ITVBe, Pick, S4C, Sky News.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there actually anything on ITVBe that benefits from being watched in HD?
  • Options
    zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV & FIVE are surely losing potential viewers by not having channels in HD on FTA platforms?
  • Options
    HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zandar wrote: »
    ITV & FIVE are surely losing potential viewers by not having channels in HD on FTA platforms?

I won't watch anything on TV unless it's in HD. Advertisers note.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Humid wrote: »
    I won't watch anything on TV unless it's in HD. Advertisers note.

Many don't (to the PSB's on ALL platforms), still watch via 1/101, 2/102, 3/103 and 4/104 despite them all having access to HD versions of these channels.
  • Options
    Hooded ClawHooded Claw Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    Many don't (to the PSB's on ALL platforms), still watch via 1/101, 2/102, 3/103 and 4/104 despite them all having access to HD versions of these channels.

Except, of course, the anomaly whereby 2/102 is actually the HD Version :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Except, of course, the anomaly whereby 2/102 is actually the HD Version :)

That's true, forgot about that!
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zandar wrote: »

How much lost advertising revenue is that costing them (if true)? Almost certainly far less than increased economic advanyages of NOT being FTA. Do you really think that if that was not true that they would already be FTA? Simple business economics.