Spooks Season 9

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
Forum Member
✭✭
I can't find another thread for this. Someone claimed there was one here but I can't see it in the search.

Advert has just been on BBC 1.. looks interesting, although i hope it's another season of Lucas and a female spy.

Who else is looking forward to the new series?

Comments

• beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait. Brilliant few weeks with Merlin and Spooks coming back. Just a shame Top Gear wont be back to January.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind, found the trailer on youtube. Answered my question :)

Excited about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I can't find another thread for this. Someone claimed there was one here but I can't see it in the search.

Advert has just been on BBC 1.. looks interesting, although i hope it's another season of Lucas and a female spy.

Who else is looking forward to the new series?

Yeah they have TWo threads in the TV Progs boards...personally I think we should have one here in the Cult Boards - I prefer the way we discuss things here in Cult - in TV Progs you have too many casual viewers. At least in Cutl it seems people are more into their shows and we can get lengthier deeper discussions.
  • reeleyreeley Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    spaintv wrote: »
    Yeah they have TWo threads in the TV Progs boards...personally I think we should have one here in the Cult Boards - I prefer the way we discuss things here in Cult - in TV Progs you have too many casual viewers. At least in Cutl it seems people are more into their shows and we can get lengthier deeper discussions.
    totally agree, especially for cult programmes like Spooks :D
  • Geoff_WGeoff_W Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Very disappointed to see that we've got to series 9 and it still isn't in HD. (Neither is Merlin, either).
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geoff_W wrote: »
    Very disappointed to see that we've got to series 9 and it still isn't in HD. (Neither is Merlin, either).

It's not in HD? Yet from what I hear Eastenders is going HD, typical BBC. :rolleyes:
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    It's not in HD? Yet from what I hear Eastenders is going HD, typical BBC:
    Presumably a creative decision, or one related to budgetary costs of effects (as is possible with Merlin) or that it is filmed on Super 16 and does not qualify as HD source material under the BBC rules, or (as is likely with Spooks and Merlin) it is produced by an external production company (Kudos and Shine respectively) and that company decided that HD is not the way forward at this time (not set up for HD production, productiojn teams not properly trained in HD techniques, or simply cost etc).

Eastenders is an in-house production btw.

There's plenty of info as to what formats the BBC accepts in this document (page 17 mentions the film/video formats):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/production/docs/hd_guide.pdf

Surprisingly (well, to me anyway) the BBC Commissioning dept also has strict rules regarding acceptable cameras:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/production/hd.shtml
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And, as a followup to that,, the BBC is looking to produce all networked programmes in HD by April next year:

http://wotsat.techradar.com/news/bbc-sets-countdown-total-hd-production-19-07-10

So it will come to Merlin & Spooks (as long as there are future series of course)
  • SteedSteed Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this going to be a No Spoiler thread to discuss the episodes when they air?

The thread title doesn't mention it, so I tend to not read these Spooks threads unless it contains no spoilers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    There's a spoiler thread here.

And here's the trailer for anyone who's not seen it, looks great!
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'tis a bugger its not in HD but really looking forwards to this.
  • Sir_JasperSir_Jasper Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    ah thats a belter! Spooks was completly off of my radar so a nice surprise, who is the blonde girl in the trailer, I cant place her face?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I can't wait for this, I've missed Lucas :D Love Spooks, such a shame it's still not HD.
    Sir_Jasper wrote: »
    ah thats a belter! Spooks was completly off of my radar so a nice surprise, who is the blonde girl in the trailer, I cant place her face?

She's Sophia Myles, she was in the girl in the fireplace episode of Dr Who (and subsequently went out with David Tennant for a few years, lucky cow!),she was also in Moonlight & was Lady Penelope in Thunderbirds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    'tis a bugger its not in HD but really looking forwards to this.

totally agree!
    very disappointed , especially when next week's Radio Times has a feature on it which starts with the byline:

Spooks
    Monday 9.00pm BBC1, BBC HD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So stupid of Kudos not to have produced a show like Spooks (for the last two years, at least!) in HD. This is the sort of programme you want in HD - also it would have been a good kick-off for BBC1 HD whenever it's finally available.
  • tallordertallorder Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DanMan01 wrote: »
    So stupid of Kudos not to have produced a show like Spooks (for the last two years, at least!) in HD. This is the sort of programme you want in HD - also it would have been a good kick-off for BBC1 HD whenever it's finally available.

Pretty sure that would be a budgetary and commissioing decision - so a BBC one rather than Kudos. Or at least a joint agreement, But you're right - should have been in HD for yonks now... Torchwood has always been made in HD and it started off as a BB3 commission, so I'm not really sure what the strategy is here.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanMan01 wrote: »

Indeed. I just assumed in this day and age than any new show would be shot in HD.
  • SteedSteed Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Indeed. I just assumed in this day and age than any new show would be shot in HD.

They reduced the number of episodes from 10 to 8 to cut costs, so adding more expense for HD would probably not be in their budget.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Steed wrote: »
    They reduced the number of episodes from 10 to 8 to cut costs, so adding more expense for HD would probably not be in their budget.

I always hoped the series would revert to 10 episdoe runs like in the earlier series but it never did.
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen an episode of Spooks, dont know why really as I think its right up my street. Is it worth me watching this new series or has too much already gone on to be able to pick it up?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »
    I've never seen an episode of Spooks, dont know why really as I think its right up my street. Is it worth me watching this new series or has too much already gone on to be able to pick it up?

Nah, it's fairly easy to pick up anywhere. Spy shenanigans, lots of running and subterfuge! It's tops :D
  • tallordertallorder Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jump in on Monday 00tommo, there's usually not much that carries series to series and two new characters joining. A good time to start. Episodes are usually pretty self-contained, with a ongoing linking theme that runs throughout the series. Enjoy ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    Spooks is back, yes......I call it English 24....lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry pops the question to Ruth at Ros's funeral; she declines.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the life boat can reach a US naval base in no time yet the tanker is heading for the UK?