Options

"Contestants Choice" week - please!

Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Please give us a theme week which has the contestants choosing their own songs and having a say in the production. It would really show us their musical influences, their ability to put on a show and having them really be themselves would separate the good from the bad.

Anyone agree?

Sort of like musical heroes week, but where the acts actually sing songs by their actual musical heroes. I dont believe for one second that One Direction's hero is Kelly Clarkson, as amazing as she is. :rolleyes:

Any ideas what the contestants would do? I can't remember many of them talking about their musical influences. I know Matt said he likes Nirvana etc...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that is more or less what they have had to date. The themes have hardly been prescriptive or adhered to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    I thought that is more or less what they have had to date. The themes have hardly been prescriptive or adhered to.

But do you think the acts picked the songs themselves? Aside from Belle Amie who put their foot down and demanded that they do a different song, the mentor/producers have chosen the songs. I doubt Katie would have thought to sing King of the Swingers... and I don't think Cher really would know how to mash all these songs up.

I don't think Matt would have chosen so many songs that are traditionally sang by women either, though he does pull them off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with this. Some acts are being really stitched up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    black_vine wrote: »
    I agree with this. Some acts are being really stitched up!

Agreed - good on Belle Amie for standing up to Simon. Many expected them to be in the sing off last week, maybe that saved them.

More should be more vocal with their mentors and say if they're not happy.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I think Jamie was stiched up last year and John and Storm have this year. Also I am interested in what the acts would pick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    I agree. I think Jamie was stiched up last year and John and Storm have this year. Also I am interested in what the acts would pick.

Oh man yeah, Jamie :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't they normally have that when they get down to the final 4 or so and they're singing two songs? I don't think they did last year (well they pretended to, but it was blindingly obvious they weren't their own choices, anyway) but they did the year before IIRC.

Anyway I wish the acts would get to choose, it's stitching some of them up before they've even had a chance to show what they're really about because the producers get the wrong idea about them :/ For example, even though it turned out ok for him in the end, Olly is releasing completely different music to the stuff that he sang on the show because what he was given on the show wasn't his sort of thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roamed wrote: »
    Anyway I wish the acts would get to choose, it's stitching some of them up before they've even had a chance to show what they're really about because the producers get the wrong idea about them :/ For example, even though it turned out ok for him in the end, Olly is releasing completely different music to the stuff that he sang on the show because what he was given on the show wasn't his sort of thing.

Exactly. Contestant should be able to pick what they want to sing at least once in the show so that the public at least have an indication of what music they'd release if they were successful. People could then vote according to who's stuff they'd buy.

That's why I vote anyway. I like Mary, but don't vote for her because I would never buy her material. Matt, Aiden, Paije on the other hand, I would because I like their style. They're lucky in that their personal style comes through the song choices.

For example, I'd love to hear Matt sing something that he truly loves. If we think he's emotive and passionate normally, I think a performance like that would blow everyone away.