Options

Suggest a show to me!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
Forum Member
2010 has been the year of the box-set as far as I've been concerned. I've watched all of true blood, gossip girl, vampire diaries, shameless, skins, misfits, nurse jackie, inbetweeners, glee, Rome, Fringe, 24, Lost, Being HUman, merlin

oh and no, I have no life :D

I'm not that keen on murder mystery or CSI stuff (even though Fringe and 24 are kind of in that category).

I don't like Friends, don't fancy watching Buffy. I'm reluctant about Dr Who.

I watched one of Greys Anatomy, one of Bones and one of Dexter and although I've only watched one, I didn't feel inspired by any of them.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supernatural.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I watched the first one of that too and was totally scared - I'm a bad wimp - does it get less scary??
  • Options
    kearneykidkearneykid Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I would recommend The Good Wife. Superb show about a woman who goes back to work as a lawyer after her husband is sent to jail.

I would also stick with Grey's Anatomy. Some of it's episodes that the season 6 finale are some of the best TV I've seen
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuck - Spy Drama/Comedy

BSG (Battlestar Galactica) - If it's an issue for you, the fact that it's in space should not put you off. It's the sci-fi show for people who don't like sci-fi with every possible genre under the sun there somewhere.

Big Bang Theory - If you haven't seen already... in that case... where have you been :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss-Fitz wrote: »
    I watched the first one of that too and was totally scared - I'm a bad wimp - does it get less scary??

The creepier episodes are generally in the earlier seasons (in my opinion anyhow). There is a lot of comedy in them though, a lot of angst, but its well written and well produced. Well worth sticking with, just take a cushion to hide behind if it gets too bad! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2010 has been the year of the box-set as far as I've been concerned. I've watched all of true blood, gossip girl, vampire diaries, shameless, skins, misfits, nurse jackie, inbetweeners, glee, Rome, Fringe, 24, Lost, Being HUman, merlin

I'm not that keen on murder mystery or CSI stuff (even though Fringe and 24 are kind of in that category).

I watched one of Greys Anatomy, one of Bones and one of Dexter and although I've only watched one, I didn't feel inspired by any of them.

Any suggestions?

I know you dont fancy watching Buffy - but most of the shows you suggest got thier ideas from Buffy (True Blood/Vampiore Diaries). It starts off a little meh, but seriously gets much better. Best series ever IMO and I have watched all the ones you have too.

Also Stick with Grey's it gets massive.
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also recommend Chuck - very funny and nearly every episode has something in it that just blows your mind.
    V (2009) - just watched the first season recently. Thought it was superb and highly recommend it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stick with Greys Anatomy as others as said.
    Prison Break is good.
    Alias, I've not seen 24 but i've been told it's similar.

I didn't really like gossip girl (seen season 1 & 2) but if u like that maybe try The OC or One tree Hill or go further back for Dawsons Creek, which also has Joshua Jackson in (Fringe).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I have the 1-3 boxset and didn't make it past the first episode either. Was a while ago I watched it and just remember the woman on fire on the ceiling :o Might give it another go one day haha.
    Jaggerc1 wrote: »
    Alias, I've not seen 24 but i've been told it's similar.
    I loved Alias! Great cast, lots of twisting storylines and some humour thrown in :)
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any suggestions?
    • friday night lights
    • walking dead
    • Spartacus Blood & Sand
    • star gate universe
    • californication*
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always recommend Queen of Swords but you will have to make do with youtube for now. there are numerous episodes posted. This link is to the widescreen versions but it has only been shown in the UK 4/3 pan and scan. Guest stars have been Bo Derek, David Carradine and many British actors such as Ed Stoppard (upstairs downstairs) Michael Culkin (Garrows Law). It has terrific horse stunts and was written for adults not children.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HkAHgyshDQ
  • Options
    Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am watching V at the moment, its very good and watchable. There's also only 12 episodes of 40 minutes each to catch up on.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Battlestar Galactica
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    • friday night lights
    • walking dead
    • Spartacus Blood & Sand
    • star gate universe
    • californication*

Friday Night Lights first two seasons were really really good, the only drama I can think of better than this is Mad Men :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Leverage" and "Human target" are quite a bit of fun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Leverage and Human Target - Popcorn telly at its best!

Also DEFINITELY stick with Grey's - it gets superb and I would call it one of the best shows on the telly.

Others you might like (although to be honest you seem to have quite a wide range there :) )

Criminal Minds
    Pretty Little Liars
    Roswell (now complete)
    Alias (now complete)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    The West Wing!!! It is the first 4 series are almost perfect (much like 24 in that sense) It is fast paced, intense, thrilling, interesting, emotional and very funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Have you been watching The Event?! It's amazing!

I'm completely hooked! Its not out on box set yet but it's still playing on channel 4 every Friday! If you missed any of the earlier episodes they are probably all on 4OD
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winterland wrote: »
    The West Wing!!! It is the first 4 series are almost perfect (much like 24 in that sense) It is fast paced, intense, thrilling, interesting, emotional and very funny.

I've often likened my Season1+2 boxsets to blocks of gold, such is the quality of the acting and writing. Kinda miffed when Rob Lowe and Mr Sorkin left, but the additions of Kristin Chenoweth and Alfred Molina (wrong spelling I know but you know who I mean) were most welcome.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member

Any suggestions?

Why?

(Out of interest)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you liked 24 I would suggest Prison Break, but again maybe not - it more or less jumped the shark toward the end. But the first 2 seasons at least are worth watching, on par with the quality of 24.
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walking Dead
    Red Skies
    Nikita
    Pretty Little Liars
    The Mentalist
    Haven
    House
    V (2010)

..and No Ordinary Family is at the bottom of my list but I always catch up at some point, same with In Treatment :)

Give Dexter another go, I wan't impressed by Dexter's narrating in the first couple of shows but was soon hooked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T H E W I R E.