One of the best things about Kara & Artem's win....

.... was the fact that they managed to secure it in spite of the media hype onslaught surrounding the other 2 finalists. Both Matt & Pamela had masses of newspaper coverage in the lead up (e.g double page photospreads on the day of the semi and the final) whereas there was barely a mention of Kara.
For me, two things - that skill and artistry does triumph in the end and that attempts via the press to manipulate the GBP don't always work ! Thank goodness :)

Comments

• j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    The showmance did help a bit though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think their romance helped them at all actually. When has it ever helped in the past? Matt & Flavia, Ali & Brian, Joe & Kristina, James & Camilla .. none of those couples went on to win, so it could be said their romancing didn't help them. What made Kara the winner in the eyes of the public was the fact that she was a much better dancer than any of the others. Simple.
    Forum Member
    None of the couples went on to win, but it possibly helped them to get further than they otherwise would have. I think it did help Kara's chances and it was also a bit manipulative.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    The showmance did help a bit though!

Are you saying you know thats what it was ? I am amazed at people who know things ,unless of course you know either of them personally and got it from them .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think their romance helped them at all actually. When has it ever helped in the past? Matt & Flavia, Ali & Brian, Joe & Kristina, James & Camilla .. none of those couples went on to win, so it could be said their romancing didn't help them. What made Kara the winner in the eyes of the public was the fact that she was a much better dancer than any of the others. Simple.

Exactally , head and shoulders above them and the public saw it and liked it and voted for Kara ,
    Forum Member
    Are you saying you know thats what it was ? I am amazed at people who know things ,unless of course you know either of them personally and got it from them .

I'm saying that it was all a bit predictable and staged, at least in the beginning. Some of the VTs indicated that Kara almost felt obliged to go along with the storyline because it was sort of expected of her. It also made for good headlines.

It may well become a genuine relationship, but I do feel like it was a forced showmance during Strictly. I hope it all works out for them, as they do seem nice, but to say that there was no manipulation is slightly disingenuous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm saying that it was all a bit predictable and staged, at least in the beginning. Some of the VTs indicated that Kara almost felt obliged to go along with the storyline because it was sort of expected of her. It also made for good headlines.

It may well become a genuine relationship, but I do feel like it was a forced showmance during Strictly. I hope it all works out for them, as they do seem nice, but to say that there was no manipulation is slightly disingenuous.

Fair enough , I see your point ,I wish them well too and I love to watch them dance .I would love to see Kara be happy and thats the main thing .:)
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was forced on them by the producers and presenters. Kara and Artem spent all their time backpedalling, trying to underplay it, trying to distance themselves from it and trying to act professionally. :rolleyes:

They constantly said nothing was happening while they were on Strictly and nothing would happen until afterwards, so I think that's why the GBP were sympathetic when they weren't so much with Ali and Brian, they appreciated not having the nauseous VTs and saccharine being stuffed down their throat. The ones we got were bad enough, all coming from the producers, not the couple themselves imo. ;)

Kara and Artem reacted to all the stuff around them very well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of the couples went on to win, but it possibly helped them to get further than they otherwise would have. I think it did help Kara's chances and it was also a bit manipulative.
    But those are suppositions. The fact is supposed romances haven't helped any couples in the past to lift that glitterball. I get that you're a Pamela fan and have just seen my post in another thread about me thinking Pamela is manipulative so you can see why I'm now making my own suppostitions about your motives. If I'm wrong, I apologise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,697
    Forum Member
    One of the best things about Kara and Artem's win was........

THEIR DANCING.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tangoqueen wrote: »

THEIR DANCING.

Exactly. Just a joy to watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems a lot of Kara supporters voted like mad for her during the final because they were afraid she might lose due to the showdance going wrong and her injury. For her not to win after all her wonderful performances throughout the series and especially her semi-final would seem to be unthinkable despite a sub-par final (due to that very painful injury). She also garnered extra support for dancing with that injury. She might because of these extra factors actually gathered more support than if she had a perfect (uninjured) final.
  • NooneNoone Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    Alli-F wrote: »
    It was forced on them by the producers and presenters. Kara and Artem spent all their time backpedalling, trying to underplay it, trying to distance themselves from it and trying to act professionally. :rolleyes:

They constantly said nothing was happening while they were on Strictly and nothing would happen until afterwards, so I think that's why the GBP were sympathetic when they weren't so much with Ali and Brian, they appreciated not having the nauseous VTs and saccharine being stuffed down their throat. The ones we got were bad enough, all coming from the producers, not the couple themselves imo. ;)

Yep. It was their reluctance to play the showmance that caused them to left off so much of the ITT footage.

Kara and Artem won through talent and hardwork - it was a pure win and more satisfying because of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noone wrote: »
    Yep. It was their reluctance to play the showmance that caused them to left off so much of the ITT footage.

Kara and Artem won through talent and hardwork - it was a pure win and more satisfying because of it.
    It sure was hon :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noone wrote: »

I am still on a high , the win was so thrilling as I for one had doubts that a girl could do it again :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there was a definite attraction between them but Artem made it clear it would have to wait until the show was over and they would not exploit it for any gain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    Can't say I noticed a lack of press coverage for Kara and Artem.... not sure how the OP is quantifying this!
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member

When it comes to what the audience was shown, I think that Kara and Artem they pitched thier romance showmance (or whatever you call it) just right.

I'm a new viewer this year apart from catching the show now and then on the past so I don't have any idea about this couple last year. I must say that I'd only even vaguely heard of this girl Ali, up til very recently, so I don't think that she quite captured the public support that Kara did.

What did she and her partner do in thier presentation of 'thier story' which was different? I have heard tales of set up pap pictures from the start of the competition and stuff like that, but to be fair, that could be completely untrue.
  • Azla AxeAzla Axe Posts: 489
    Forum Member

I don't agree, I think it was the least manipulative romance ever on strictly. They both were very clear and straigh forward about what was going on. The said that they fancied each other, but they will leave it after Strictly finishes to explore if a relationship could blossom between them. Couldn't have been cleared than that. If they were using it to publicity, they would have done what Ali/Brian, and Matt/Flavia did, that they kept insisting that they are just "friends" and nothing's going on between them, whilst kissing and cuddling in public, or even what James/Camilla did, pretending something's going on between them when there was nothing there.

There weren't a single photograph of them cosying up in public, or kissing during the show, and the tabloids still made up stories. Even when Artem came out on the VT and said "we are not dating now, but I will take Kara out on a date when the show's over", the media still portrayed it as "Artem's confirming they are in a relationship".

As Alli-F said already, it was the producers and presenters of the show (and the tabloids) trying to make a love story out of it. Both Kara and Artem were very professional and didn't play along the "are they, aren't they" scenario the program was trying to push on them.

Whether what it is between them will develop into a relationship, or friendship or whatever, only time will tell.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think there is any evidence that it was "forced on them". In any work, office or other group there would be a certain amount of comment and amusement about two of the group who were very obviously attracted to each other.
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kara and Artem back peddled how exactly? :confused:By giving interviews about going on dates?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    James & Camilla? I don't remember this romance!
  • shrewshrew Posts: 1,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highfield3 wrote: »
    James & Camilla? I don't remember this romance!

... yeah, she kicked him in the face.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tangoqueen wrote: »

THEIR DANCING.

Hallelujah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Kara and Artem danced like Joe and Kristina its unlikely they would have won.

And plenty of couples win because of their (platonic) relationsips. I sometimes feel people are as much drawn to the wonderful platonic relationships on Strictly as they are the romantic ones, maybe even more so! I think thats why Team Cola were liked so much last year over Ricky and Natalie because people thought they were so lovely together. I think generally speaking, if the couple are seen to get on well then people with engage with them no matter what (as well as their dancing).

I think dancing and partner relationships (whatever dynamic) need to go hand in hand in order to give the couple a chance of winning as not all showmances have won and not all great dancers have won. The mix has to exist, and that was the case with Kartem. I personally don't think they'll work out and never invested my interest in them based on a showmance. I just thought Kara was one of the best dancers Strictly has ever seen, thats why I voted for her!
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About Kara and Artem's dancing - they seem to fit together very well. Their style of dancing were a perfect match.