mighty morphin power rangers!

12346»

Comments

• farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Ditto. I never watched another episode once it became Turbo.

Aww I liked Turbo when the new Rangers came to replace the oldies.

I'd advise watching Power Rangers: In Space though. A great season which kept the cheasy appeal of Power Rangers but was serious enough that towards the middle you can appreciate it as an adult too without nostalgia.

It's also the end of what fans call the "Zordon era". They could have ended the series right there.
    I get confused with this after learning that the action scenes in the programme were taken from the original Japanese version and dubbed over. That explains why we never saw the Power Rangers remove their helmets during battle.

It's complicated. Super Sentai is a big franchise in Japan which has a new show with a new cast, costumes mecha themes and so on every year.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers was very loosely based on Zyuranger. Only taking the basic Rangers vs Monster action scenes but everything else was different.

Power Rangers was a huge hit which needed to continue but having used all the action footage they were left with a problem. Saban first solved this by paying Toei to shoot basic action scenes especialy for Power Rangers incorporating their tropes. You'll notice from Doomsday onwards all the signs and writing in the action scenes are in english, the Yellow ranger is clearly female, the Blue Ranger uses gadgets in battle and the Green Ranger is protective of the Pink Ranger.

Once that footage started to get exhausted they came up with a new idea of semi adapting footage from the series Dairanger for the Ranger's new Thunder Zords in Season 2 while the regular action scenes were mostly American made footage although they crudely tried to splice Dairanger footage of the monsters into them sometimes. You can clearly tell the American action scenes as they are brighter but much slower etc. Same deal with Season 3 with the Ninja Zords taken from Kakuranger with the non Zord scenes being exclusively US shot footage.

By the time we got to Zeo they obviously thought it was a good idea to just use Ohranger footage fully rather than try and mesh it with other footage. Confused?:confused: I don't blame ya and that's me putting it simply.
    Rita did have a fair few non-action scenes though so what was the deal with actresses/voiceovers there? Was it all dubbed over and we never realised? The lies! :p

Yes. The season 1 footage of Rita and co in the moon palace was all Japanese but with english voice over. I wouldn't say dubbed as the stories were generaly very different.

Here's another thing that might shock you. The japanese versions of Gladar and Scorpina are married and end up having a child. :eek:
    VR Troopers so wanted to be Power Rangers and failed!

Same company that make Super Sentai made Metalder in Japan and same company that made PR chose to do the same with VR.

Another interesting factoid is that Jason David Frank who played Tommy was cast as the lead in VR Troopers and filmed a pilot but the demand for Tommy's return made was overwhelming they put him back in the show.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    VR Troopers so wanted to be Power Rangers and failed!

Omg I've totally forgot about that show I hated it , it proper sucked
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    farscape wrote: »
    Aww I liked Turbo when the new Rangers came to replace the oldies.

I'd advise watching Power Rangers: In Space though. A great season which kept the cheasy appeal of Power Rangers but was serious enough that towards the middle you can appreciate it as an adult too without nostalgia.

It's also the end of what fans call the "Zordon era". They could have ended the series right there.

It's complicated. Super Sentai is a big franchise in Japan which has a new show with a new cast, costumes mecha themes and so on every year.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers was very loosely based on Zyuranger. Only taking the basic Rangers vs Monster action scenes but everything else was different.

Power Rangers was a huge hit which needed to continue but having used all the action footage they were left with a problem. Saban first solved this by paying Toei to shoot basic action scenes especialy for Power Rangers incorporating their tropes. You'll notice from Doomsday onwards all the signs and writing in the action scenes are in english, the Yellow ranger is clearly female, the Blue Ranger uses gadgets in battle and the Green Ranger is protective of the Pink Ranger.

Once that footage started to get exhausted they came up with a new idea of semi adapting footage from the series Dairanger for the Ranger's new Thunder Zords in Season 2 while the regular action scenes were mostly American made footage although they crudely tried to splice Dairanger footage of the monsters into them sometimes. You can clearly tell the American action scenes as they are brighter but much slower etc. Same deal with Season 3 with the Ninja Zords taken from Kakuranger with the non Zord scenes being exclusively US shot footage.

By the time we got to Zeo they obviously thought it was a good idea to just use Ohranger footage fully rather than try and mesh it with other footage. Confused?:confused: I don't blame ya and that's me putting it simply.

Yes. The season 1 footage of Rita and co in the moon palace was all Japanese but with english voice over. I wouldn't say dubbed as the stories were generaly very different.

Here's another thing that might shock you. The japanese versions of Gladar and Scorpina are married and end up having a child. :eek:

Same company that make Super Sentai made Metalder in Japan and same company that made PR chose to do the same with VR.

Another interesting factoid is that Jason David Frank who played Tommy was cast as the lead in VR Troopers and filmed a pilot but the demand for Tommy's return made was overwhelming they put him back in the show.

BTW Rita & Zedd had a child (Thrax)he showed up in RPM season.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit I like Big Bad Beetleborgs and VR Troopers too. :o
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Wasnt there also Masked Rider or something like that - it was a bit like Power Rangers but just with one person.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I LOVED Masked Rider. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    My 4 year old recently discovered Wildforce and has since turned onto a power rangers addict! I'm totally reliving my youth with MMPR and still enjoying Wildforce, Samurai and Dino Thunder.

Dino Thunder, power up....Ha!
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did watch a ridiculous amount of THIS back in the day.

Captain Mitchell in the Aquabase, Yeaaaaaaaaah! :p:D Also, Alison MacInnis :o

I watched a lot of SPD aswell, I believe - Doggie and Kat :p

I love how much creativity was put in to the theme songs.

Power Rangers, Time Force, Time Force. Power Rangers, Time Force, Time Force. Time Force! Time Force! Time Force! Time-Time-Time-Time For Power Rangers Time Force! Time-Time-Time-Time for Power Rangers, Time Force! POWER. RANGERS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of VR troopers and the like i have 4 words for you:

superhuman samurai syber squad :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Wasnt there also Masked Rider or something like that - it was a bit like Power Rangers but just with one person.

That show was pretty good! Masked Rider was in 3 episodes of MMPR!
    CD93 wrote: »
    I love how much creativity was put in to the theme songs.

Power Rangers, Time Force, Time Force. Power Rangers, Time Force, Time Force. Time Force! Time Force! Time Force! Time-Time-Time-Time For Power Rangers Time Force! Time-Time-Time-Time for Power Rangers, Time Force! POWER. RANGERS.

It must have taken them months to come up with that! :p:D
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, he was awesome. He had a few battle suits and his little alien pet Furbus? I think. I aslo loved VR troopers and wish that had continued, more so than Power Rangers.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasnt there also Masked Rider

The Masked Rider first appeared in an episode of Power Rangers too.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I liked the story arc about the Rangers of Aquatar and the introduction of Ninja powers :D

Though Ninjor sounded like Marvin the Martian :D Did he have a Aludium Q-36 explosive Space Modulator? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0BN7YgoV1w :p