Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was after the screening of S5, after he had just landed the two recent roles, but before they were shown. I think you're right about ITV actively agreeing to make MC happy as part of the deal. And why wouldn't they? Also I think the more he stretches himself in roles like this last one in The Town, the greater his chances of getting more offers. I just don't want to see him fading into the sunset as a presenter. We'll see what happens with these next two documentaries coming up. But I thought on balance the manta ray and, certainly, the lemur ones were weaker than the islands, dogs and horses.

Are the two documentaries the one on working horses and one set in Africa with the Born Free Foundation?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    For anyone who uses Encryption Software (like Expat Shield or Tunnel Bear), I just discovered that the MC version of "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" is on ITV Player for 16 more days. Catch it, if you can!
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, goodie! I hope we all can look forward to seeing it. Is another Connie magic going to happen?
    NewPark wrote: »
    Are the two documentaries the one on working horses and one set in Africa with the Born Free Foundation?

I am planning on uploading it.:) I haven't heard anything about the air date for the lion one with Tony Fitzjohn yet.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Should we call you Morwenna?:)

LOL! Never thought of that! But I am not scared of needles, just had a very strange reaction to that.

After reading some of the posts, I suspect it might have been a TB test, not vaccine. Wonder why I had it? If I recall, i wasn't sick or anything.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I remember getting what I think was a TB vaccination back in the early 1970s or so. I must have been in my late teens/early twenties. The reason I remember it so well is that it was the only time I have ever fainted in my life. I was in the doctor's office and I remember it being a bunch of little pokes on the inside of my forearm. Don't know why, but shortly after the nurse left the room they were picking me up off the floor.

Maybe it wasn't a TB vaccine but a TB test?

Yes, that was a TB test and perhaps you remember being told to look at it a couple of days later, or go back to the doc and have him examine it, and see if there was a larger mark?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I understand this correctly, there is a TB vaccine, but it isn't necessarily recommended in the US:

http://www.vaccines.gov/diseases/tb/index.html

BCG Vaccine
    Introduction

BCG, or bacille Calmette-Guerin, is a vaccine for tuberculosis (TB) disease. Many foreign-born persons have been BCG-vaccinated. BCG is used in many countries with a high prevalence of TB to prevent childhood tuberculous meningitis and miliary disease. However, BCG is not generally recommended for use in the United States because of the low risk of infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the variable effectiveness of the vaccine against adult pulmonary TB, and the vaccine’s potential interference with tuberculin skin test reactivity. The BCG vaccine should be considered only for very select persons who meet specific criteria and in consultation with a TB expert.
    Recommendations

Children. BCG vaccination should only be considered for children who have a negative tuberculin skin test and who are continually exposed, and cannot be separated from, adults who

Are untreated or ineffectively treated for TB disease (if the child cannot be given long-term treatment for infection); or
    Have TB caused by strains resistant to isoniazid and rifampin.

While looking up this info, I also ran across this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/9667998/Giving-badgers-TB-vaccine-could-avoid-cull.html

A parliamentary committee yesterday announced a new inquiry, which will examine the feasibility of giving the animals, and cattle, a vaccine against Bovine TB.

The inquiry comes just a few weeks after the government badger cull was delayed for a year because of setbacks caused by the Olympics and bad weather.

Farmers were expected to start shooting badgers in west Somerset and west Gloucestershire late last month to stop the spread of Bovine TB.

But Owen Paterson, the Environment Secretary, postponed the cull at the eleventh hour, insisting that farmers needed more time to kill the increased number of badgers found in a survey.

Yesterday, MPs on the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee announced the new far-reaching inquiry would examine whether a vaccination programme would be a better way to prevent the disease from spreading across Britain.

There's more in the article, if you're interested. Which, by the way, makes me realize I have completely LOST MY MIND! :eek: Here I am reading about badgers and TB. I think I've gone over the DM edge!
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I checked back in my medical records I still have of my children even though they have long since flew the nest, and I have a record of one of my daughters who in early 1980's had a TB test and the instructions were to look at right forearm on Monday (few days later than test given) - if skin is red at any of the points to call dr.'s office, so yes, it was a TB test, not a TB vaccine.

Oops, should read ahead before commenting some times! You answered your own comment! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Eileen Essell who played Mrs Averill was born in 1922 so she is 90 now. Don't know why they would try and pass her off as 75???
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Well, there you go. Maybe the script called for a 75 year old patient and, when they ended up hiring an older actress, they didn't change it. Seems odd though. They're usually so careful about things.

I like to think that BP was being nice, and giving this older actress a job. She was excellent as Mrs. Averill. Don't we sometimes have to do a "suspension of disbelief" (is this the right term?) when viewing Doc Martin. They do cast quite a few older actors to play various characters on the show, and I think that's wonderful. And, they're usually quite hilarious! :D
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    I like to think that BP was being nice, and giving this older actress a job. She was excellent as Mrs. Averill. Don't we sometimes have to do a "suspension of disbelief" (is this the right term?) when viewing Doc Martin. They do cast quite a few older actors to play various characters on the show, and I think that's wonderful. And, they're usually quite hilarious! :D

I'm all for giving older people employment opportunities, but to someone who's in the neighborhood of 75 herself, ascribing an age of 75 to Mrs. Averill just seems outlandish, and for no good reason that I can see. Maybe Mrs. Averill was just shading her age a bit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    What a sacrilege!!! It is ALWAYS (well, nearly always) sunny in Portwenn (at least in DM time).

Not in Series 5. Most of it seemed bleak and overcast. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I'm all for giving older people employment opportunities, but to someone who's in the neighborhood of 75 herself, ascribing an age of 75 to Mrs. Averill just seems outlandish, and for no good reason that I can see. Maybe Mrs. Averill was just shading her age a bit?

Yes, maybe Mrs. Averill stating that she was 75 was supposed to be part of the humor. Oh, I get it now! Haha! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    City Slickers
    When the Doc goes to see PC Penhale, and we're shown the inside of the police station, do you see the bulletin board? On the lower left hand side, a poster reads: Rat on rat. What the heck is that? :eek:
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    City Slickers
    When the Doc goes to see PC Penhale, and we're shown the inside of the police station, do you see the bulletin board? On the lower left hand side, a poster reads: Rat on rat. What the heck is that? :eek:

I took it to mean that people who know or see unlawful things should report (rat) on the lawbreakers (rats) doing them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member

And didn't MC reveal there'd be a series 6 a long while before ITV made their official announcement? With it being their production company, is it not possible that they would make a series 6 regardless, especially since the show is such a hit and being shown in so many other countries, that someone would pick it up? I really don't know how all this TV business works but a successful series is worth $$$$ in more ways than one.

But with all that being said, I can also totally understand that at some point both Martin and Philippa might get tired of playing in the DM sandbox. Creative minds ready to move on to new projects, etc. etc.

Howdy Folks!

Long time lurker with 35 years experience in the television industry both at the local and network levels here who finally registered for an account. I also lived in London (Fitzrovia) for about two years in the 1990's with my ex partner (he died) who just so happened to be a retired Royal Army officer who served in the Paras. (That is why I did not find how Len killed that couple in "The Town" to be so unbelievable. Trust me on that one-I know what Paras are capable of...)

Anyway...concerning the topic of the quote.

You are quite right, Susie.

All one has to do is look at this forum to understand why there is talk of not only a sixth but seventh season. Here we have a show whose last original episodes aired almost two years ago and the thread for the show is still in the top twenty threads here. Don't think that ITV has not noticed this.

The series is worth alot of money not only to BP/Portman but to ITV as well. ITV gets a slice of the syndication pie and right now their two big "cash cows" are Doc Martin and Downton Abbey but I suspect that Doc Martin will make them more money in the long run. Period piece dramas have their rabid fans (my sister and her hubby are fine examples of that) but, in the end, they fall into a narrow spectrum of the available audience whereas quirky 'dramadies' such as Doc Martin have a much broader appeal. With the series taking off in the US not only are they making a nice chunk of change on US syndication rights but it also helps them out with digital rights concerns. (I am not trying to 'diminsh' or discount other countries, BTW. From a TV business standpoint getting on US airwaves is like hitting the jackpot. There is so much money involved.)

Another thing I am sure that they have also noticed that people outside of the UK are finally getting to see just how good an actor MC is and just about everything he has been in (TV series wise) has been excellent. Now that they have cracked into the US with Doc Martin PBS stations in the US are airing "William and Mary", Hulu has put the first three seasons of "Men Behaving Badly" up not only for web viewing but on other devices such as Roku. I suspect the rest will follow in short order.

MC has recently commented on how he is 'preparing for the twilight of his career' and how he is not getting many offers for other roles. He also has a large farm and horses aren't exactly cheap to care for, nor is a university education for his daughter. He may be getting a bit tired 'playing in the Doc Martin sandbox' but right now it is what is bringing home the most bacon so to speak.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, maybe Mrs. Averill stating that she was 75 was supposed to be part of the humor. Oh, I get it now! Haha! :rolleyes:

I thought it was humorous at the time because she just looked older than 75. But then I thought she was serious about it and decided her age wasn't meant as a joke, but Doc's guessing her age wrong and her correction was the joke.

Anyhow, I currently know people who look to my mind about 80 (real age: 93) and 85 (real age: 75) and 75 (real age: 80). So for me, looks are really deceiving, and I pretty much am in a state of "suspension of disbelief" anyhow since I (like you all) get so very involved in the characters of DM.

And to speak to another post recently, what I love about DM and this forum and our trip to the UK and PI, is all the various other things related to it that I, too, have followed up on. It has been an interesting journey of discovery of new worlds I wouldn't have found otherwise probably. I'm just a knowledge junkie!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Howdy Folks!
    Long time lurker with 35 years experience in the television industry both at the local and network levels here who finally registered for an account. I also lived in London (Fitzrovia) for about two years in the 1990's with my ex partner (he died) who just so happened to be a retired Royal Army officer who served in the Paras. (That is why I did not find how Len killed that couple in "The Town" to be so unbelievable. Trust me on that one-I know what Paras are capable of...)

Welcome, Adelie, to The Land That Time Forgot!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, you're right, they do use a lot of older actors and they really are hilarious, the best. Along with Mrs. Averill, I think my other favorite patient is Mr. Cleary (and his guide-dog Ray). Oh, and stinky Mr. Cook was great too. And I love Morwenna's grandfather. And then there are our regulars, Mr. Armstrong and Mrs. Poustie. Okay, I've gone off on a tangent and probably could go on and on, so I'll stop here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welcome, Adelie, to The Land That Time Forgot!

Thank you kindly, hun!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was humorous at the time because she just looked older than 75. But then I thought she was serious about it and decided her age wasn't meant as a joke, but Doc's guessing her age wrong and her correction was the joke.

Anyhow, I currently know people who look to my mind about 80 (real age: 93) and 85 (real age: 75) and 75 (real age: 80). So for me, looks are really deceiving, and I pretty much am in a state of "suspension of disbelief" anyhow since I (like you all) get so very involved in the characters of DM.

After he finds out Mrs. Averill is a smoker and then sees that she's having lung problems, doesn't the Doc ask her, "Did you think you'd make it to 70?" That's when my eyebrows initially went up. She's sitting there looking about 90 and he thinks she's 70? I expected her response to him to be, "I'm 90", or something like that. Oh, well. It's all good. She's a wonderful actress and the character is a favorite.

Speaking of Mrs. Averill, I'm reminded of poor Tom Tom, who will have to be put down. The first time I watched this episode, I kept hoping she and Tom Tom would be reunited. I was surprised to hear that Louisa, like Martin, hates cats. It's significant, I guess, because throughout this ep we keep discovering things they actually have in common, and their shared dislike of cats is one of those. Now that I think of it, in S5 when Buddy surprises them in their bedroom, LG seems quite as upset as DM. I guess James Henry won't be growing up with pets. Poor kid. Of course, as Martin says, the village is like a petting zoo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Howdy Folks!

All one has to do is look at this forum to understand why there is talk of not only a sixth but seventh season. Here we have a show whose last original episodes aired almost two years ago and the thread for the show is still in the top twenty threads here. Don't think that ITV has not noticed this.

The series is worth alot of money not only to BP/Portman but to ITV as well. ITV gets a slice of the syndication pie and right now their two big "cash cows" are Doc Martin and Downton Abbey but I suspect that Doc Martin will make them more money in the long run. Period piece dramas have their rabid fans (my sister and her hubby are fine examples of that) but, in the end, they fall into a narrow spectrum of the available audience whereas quirky 'dramadies' such as Doc Martin have a much broader appeal. With the series taking off in the US not only are they making a nice chunk of change on US syndication rights but it also helps them out with digital rights concerns. (I am not trying to 'diminsh' or discount other countries, BTW. From a TV business standpoint getting on US airwaves is like hitting the jackpot. There is so much money involved.)

Another thing I am sure that they have also noticed that people outside of the UK are finally getting to see just how good an actor MC is and just about everything he has been in (TV series wise) has been excellent. Now that they have cracked into the US with Doc Martin PBS stations in the US are airing "William and Mary", Hulu has put the first three seasons of "Men Behaving Badly" up not only for web viewing but on other devices such as Roku. I suspect the rest will follow in short order.

MC has recently commented on how he is 'preparing for the twilight of his career' and how he is not getting many offers for other roles. He also has a large farm and horses aren't exactly cheap to care for, nor is a university education for his daughter. He may be getting a bit tired 'playing in the Doc Martin sandbox' but right now it is what is bringing home the most bacon so to speak.

Hello, Adelie, and welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Howdy Folks!

Welcome Adelie! Wow - sounds like you have a lot to offer our little merry band. I didn't realize that our group is that popular, although I have to say that any time I have posted links to my stuff on Flickr I get WAY more hits than I would expect from the group of regulars on here. So I suspect there are way more lurkers than we realize. I don't understand them myself, I can't just be an observer when it comes to this show.

I always figured this show is valuable to ITV and BP, but it is good to hear your comments. Maybe we can expect this show to continue on for several more years. I am beginning to think maybe they have been very smart with this every other year stuff - makes for big pent up demand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you kindly, Biffpup hun! I am going to guess that you might be one of the few who knows where "Aggieland" is....hehehe!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Welcome Adelie! Wow - sounds like you have a lot to offer our little merry band. I didn't realize that our group is that popular, although I have to say that any time I have posted links to my stuff on Flickr I get WAY more hits than I would expect from the group of regulars on here. So I suspect there are way more lurkers than we realize. I don't understand them myself, I can't just be an observer when it comes to this show.

I always figured this show is valuable to ITV and BP, but it is good to hear your comments. Maybe we can expect this show to continue on for several more years. I am beginning to think maybe they have been very smart with this every other year stuff - makes for big pent up demand.

I'd like to challenge the straw man that DM cannot continue if the Doc and Louisa get together. Someone (Dominic Minghella?) framed that premise years ago and it seems that MC, PB, and BP totally bought into this. It's a fallacy. There have been a number of successful screen pairings that combined romance along with other compelling story lines (a la William Powell and Myrna Loy in The Thin Man). The attraction was still there, so was some "spice and vinegar", and they worked together. Why does everything have to end because Louisa and Martin get together? The only way IMO the series will run out of steam is if the producers do what they did in S5 and take all the life and fun and likability and spunk out of two otherwise VERY alive and rich characters. There are two ways to kill DM off: arbitrarily end the show at the end of S6, or kill the characters off in plain sight. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Howdy Folks!
    Here we have a show whose last original episodes aired almost two years ago and the thread for the show is still in the top twenty threads here. Don't think that ITV has not noticed this.

Another thing I am sure that they have also noticed that people outside of the UK are finally getting to see just how good an actor MC is and just about everything he has been in (TV series wise) has been excellent. Now that they have cracked into the US with Doc Martin PBS stations in the US are airing "William and Mary", Hulu has put the first three seasons of "Men Behaving Badly" up not only for web viewing but on other devices such as Roku. I suspect the rest will follow in short order..

Welcome Adelie!
    Wow, I didn't know that our forum ranked in the top twenty. I wonder how many forums there are on Digital Spy?
    I believe you when you say people outside of the UK are discovering Martin Clunes. Our PBS station has finally noticed what a gem he is, and are showing more episodes of DM and the DM movies. Plus, mentioning his shows on twitter! :cool::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you kindly, Biffpup hun! I am going to guess that you might be one of the few who knows where "Aggieland" is....hehehe!

I certainly do!
This discussion has been closed.