Free TV Alliance

Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The FreeTV Alliance, the free-to-air and free-to-view association founded late last year by four leading European satellite platform operators – Freesat (UK), Fransat (France), HD+ (Germany), and Tivùsat (Italy) – has announced the first of its new technical specifications. The release of the Remote Control Specification within the next month will "provide a common way for an operator’s mobile application to control the TV viewing experience on the TV screen" (whatever that means).
http://www.freetva.tv/
http://www.freetva.tv/news/

Presumably, by pooling technical knowledge and resources, they will come up with common specifications allowing manufacturers to produce standardized STBs and TVs capable of receiving FTA & FTV broadcasts for use throughout Europe with any of the platforms and no longer country specific as is currently the case which can only be a good thing.

Comments

• SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    "provide a common way for an operator’s mobile application to control the TV viewing experience on the TV screen"
    Probably means that you just install one app on your phone, instead of apps from each provider. Pretty irrelevant to the user, since those TV groups are country-specific, so no-one's ever going to need more than one app anyway. I would guess it just lets them share app development costs.
    Presumably, by pooling technical knowledge and resources, they will come up with common specifications allowing manufacturers to produce standardized STBs and TVs capable of receiving FTA & FTV broadcasts for use throughout Europe with any of the platforms and no longer country specific as is currently the case which can only be a good thing.
    We have that already, but they each choose to use private encryption keys for the FTV stuff for business (not technical) reasons. For FTA the boxes are standardized, you can watch UK FTA TV on a French box, etc.
  • Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    We have that already, but they each choose to use private encryption keys for the FTV stuff for business (not technical) reasons. For FTA the boxes are standardized, you can watch UK FTA TV on a French box, etc.

I think it means that they will be able to produce EU wide boxes/TVs with Free TV Alliance tuners built-in so that no longer would Humax (for instance) have to produce a box for Freesat in the UK and a separate one for HD+ in Germany - they would be able to be used on any platform which is part of the alliance. Currently most TV manufacturers only fit a fta satellite tuner so you miss the full EPG and other platform benefits. Until last year Sony made separate TVs for the UK, The Netherlands and other EU states. Now afaik they are a common EU model which must save them manufacturing costs and benefits the consumers even if they land up with facilities currently not available to them in their country (eg DVB-T2).
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it means that they will be able to produce EU wide boxes/TVs with Free TV Alliance tuners built-in so that no longer would Humax (for instance) have to produce a box for Freesat in the UK and a separate one for HD+ in Germany - they would be able to be used on any platform which is part of the alliance. Currently most TV manufacturers only fit a fta satellite tuner so you miss the full EPG and other platform benefits. Until last year Sony made separate TVs for the UK, The Netherlands and other EU states. Now afaik they are a common EU model which must save them manufacturing costs and benefits the consumers even if they land up with facilities currently not available to them in their country (eg DVB-T2).

So DVB-T2 could be built in as standard? I guess that would now make sense as Germany are switching, so manufacturers should switch to using them as standard across Europe! It would save them a packet in TVs and STBs!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    So DVB-T2 could be built in as standard? I guess that would now make sense as Germany are switching, so manufacturers should switch to using them as standard across Europe! It would save them a packet in TVs and STBs!

Sure - I recently bought a Sony Bravia which has 7 tuners built in, DVB-T & DVB-T2 (DTT) DVB-S, DVB-S2 (satellite), DVB-C (cable), C+ as well as analogue (latter now pretty much obsolete). I think they have ticked all the boxes.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    No that is 2 tuners. One satellite and one terrestrial/cable.

I have a Panasonic TV that has two satellite inputs and one terrestrial input. It can record two channels from freetime and/or freeview in any combination (any two terrestrial Mux or satellite transponders, or 1 of each). So how many tuners does it have ? What does the second satellite input connect to (fresh air - :confused: )

You keep trotting this out. Kindly explain how just two tuners (1 satellite and 1 terrestrial can manage this amazing capability :o )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No that is 2 tuners. One satellite and one terrestrial/cable.

In the specs Sony state 7 but I see where you are coming from. According to another source:
    DVB-S/S2 is for satellite TV, this is a single tuner unless stated other wise.
    DVB-C/T is a Cable and terrestrial tuner combined into one also known as a combo tuner, again it's a single tuner unless stated otherwise and you can only watch cable or terrestrial not both at the same time.
    Going on this definition since Sony state 7 separate tuners then they mean 7 and not 2 combo tuners.
    Forum Member
    In the specs Sony state 7 but I see where you are coming from. According to another source:
    Going on this definition since Sony state 7 separate tuners then they mean 7 and not 2 combo tuners.
    Can you watch multiple terrestrial sources at the same time (PIP), or record one while watching another? If not then most probably the "7" is pure marketing. One tuner for terrestrial TV, with decoders for the various forms of modulation, and one tuner for satellite, is more likely. That's what my Sony TV has, even though it lists the same features as yours.
    Forum Member
    I have a Panasonic TV that has two satellite inputs and one terrestrial input. It can record two channels from freetime and/or freeview in any combination (any two terrestrial Mux or satellite transponders, or 1 of each). So how many tuners does it have ? What does the second satellite input connect to (fresh air - :confused: )

You keep trotting this out. Kindly explain how just two tuners (1 satellite and 1 terrestrial can manage this amazing capability :o )
    What do the facilities provided by your Panasonic TV have to do with the features offered by a Sony TV?? They are different sets, you know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    What do the facilities provided by your Panasonic TV have to do with the features offered by a Sony TV?? They are different sets, you know.

Nothing but Winston1 as usual, posts this sort of information as a fact without actually ascertaining the facts of the situation.

The poster he responded to did not even post the model of the Sony TV. It's entirely possible Sony have a advanced model with similar capability to my Panasonic. Surely this should have been checked by simply asking the obvious questions before jumping with both feet.

If you had mentioned homeplugs he would have trotted out the same post as usual except for being banned,

And by the way don't dare to spell aerial as Arial.

Another recent doozy was advising someone to leave their rented accommodation because someone suggested home plugs could be used to avoid drilling holes in walls which he wasn't allowed to do.

He would have posted the same had I said my TV has 4 tuners (ie insisting it actually only had two). He trots out the same posts ad nauseum. :o
  • Hooded ClawHooded Claw Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your usual rudeness and totally off topic waffle.

You'd be welcome on satellites.co.uk if a dedicated Satellite Forum should ever tickle your fancy.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member

At the risk of taking Winston's 'side', he sounds perfectly correct here - and the Sony TV 'most probably' only has two tuners, a Terrestrial one and a Satellite one (and it certainly doesn't have 7 :D).

There's certainly the 'possibility' of having more than one terrestrial tuner, but there's nothing whatsoever in the post to indicate that

Satellite is easily checked, as each tuner will have it's own F socket, presumably as your Panasonic does?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of taking Winston's 'side', he sounds perfectly correct here - and the Sony TV 'most probably' only has two tuners, a Terrestrial one and a Satellite one (and it certainly doesn't have 7 :D).

There's certainly the 'possibility' of having more than one terrestrial tuner, but there's nothing whatsoever in the post to indicate that

Satellite is easily checked, as each tuner will have it's own F socket, presumably as your Panasonic does?.

I didn't say he wasn't correct merely that he made a massive assumption without any knowledge of even the TV model involved.

Had he said that the TV may have or is likely to have only two tuners and asked the OP a few questions to check that surely would have been the sensible (and reasonable option).

Yes my Panny has two satellite inputs. The fact that it is capable of recording two Freeview channels at the same time (not on the same mux) must surely mean there is two terrestrial tuners as well. No idea if there is a equivalent Sony TV but it must be a possibility.

As usual the technical specs are pretty useless, it's only when you actually have the TV and are able to actually try what it does does it become obvious. It doesn't say 4 tuners (2 terrestrial/2 satellite) anywhere in the specs.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,335
    Forum Member
    I didn't say he wasn't correct merely that he made a massive assumption without any knowledge of even the TV model involved.

Not a 'massive' assumption at all, in fact the odds are greatly in favour of him been correct (certainly99+%).

Rather like assuming a car runs on petrol or diesel, when there's a tiny chance it might be electric.

Yes my Panny has two satellite inputs. the fact that it is capable of recording two Freeview channels at the same time (not on the same mux) must surely mean there is two terrestrial tuners as well. No idea if there is a equivalent Sony TV but it must be a possibility.

Yes, it has two terrestrial tuners as well, but that's VERY much the exception, not at all a common feature. I'm not aware of any Sony sets with multiple tuners, perhaps some of the high end ones might? - presumably your Panasonic is high end?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a 'massive' assumption at all, in fact the odds are greatly in favour of him been correct (certainly99+%).

Rather like assuming a car runs on petrol or diesel, when there's a tiny chance it might be electric.

Yes, it has two terrestrial tuners as well, but that's VERY much the exception, not at all a common feature. I'm not aware of any Sony sets with multiple tuners, perhaps some of the high end ones might? - presumably your Panasonic is high end?.

It's the 47" 47AS800 series - the one below the 50" 4K model. So I guess you could say it's a lower end TV in a high end series :)
    Forum Member
    Nothing but Winston1 as usual, posts this sort of information as a fact without actually ascertaining the facts of the situation.
    And you never miss a chance to jump in with condescending, patronising, responses to Winston even when he's likely correct.
    The poster he responded to did not even post the model of the Sony TV. It's entirely possible Sony have a advanced model with similar capability to my Panasonic.
    He said it was a Sony Bravia. The Bravia range is pretty consistent from top to bottom, and I know of none with 7 tuners.
    If you had mentioned homeplugs he would have trotted out the same post as usual except for being banned,
    And as usual his post would have been factually quite correct, although probably a little over-evangelistic..
    And by the way don't dare to spell aerial as Arial.
    I wouldn't dare, but since I am a real Engineer (Got the C.Eng to prove it) I'm probaby safe :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=SteveMcK;77566676
    I wouldn't dare, but since I am a real Engineer (Got the C.Eng to prove it) I'm probaby safe :)[/QUOTE]

Now who's making assumptions, so am I . 40 yrs in National Grid System Operation and Planning any good ?

This is a response to just one of the dozens of times a certain poster feels compels to respond to a simple typo.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/complex-sat-set-up.1905389/#post-21223906
  • marceljackmarceljack Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Hi,
    The support of DVB-T2 alone will not be sufficient for a set to be usable in Germany (and later in France) as in both countries the switch to DVB-T2 will be simultaneous with the use of HEVC (H265) compression.
    For german DTT as soon as 2017, for french TNT only in 2019 or 2020.