Project marked down

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudgie wrote: »
    A few years down the line, you won't even remember what degree classification you've got. If you've got a guaranteed job anyway, you're sorted.

Marking/grading is never straightforward. I'm currently doing a degree by distance learning (have done it the 'normal' way in the past), and as student rep, I'm forever fielding queries/quibbles about grades. There's one girl on the course who did her first degree at the same uni that we are currently studying with; finished it the academic year before we started this course, with a 2.1. And yet, most of her grades on this course are mostly 2.2s. It's not even that different a subject, and most of the markers are her old lecturers.

Focus on the future. Talking of - make sure the paper funds your NCTJs/NCE (reporter qualifications). And give yourself a headstart by getting in some shorthand practice! A year's time, and you'll be grumbling about your 100wpm shorthand test, and your degree worries will be a distant memory.

Deep down I do know it won't matter once its over, its just it matters so much now after it being such a battle to get through. I will still feel disappointment in myself.

I started learning shorthand last year. I have classes every Thursday in the newspaper offices and have nearly finished the theory. Its standard practice for this particular newspaper to pay for all training and any resists of examinations. I even worked at this newspaper in reception when I left college, so I know all the staff inside out. Which I guess is why they didn't mind me sitting on the private shorthand classes, even though I am not a full-time employee. I have managed to push my way in on so many things, I had planned to go off and do a NCTJ college course and pay for it. But no need now. :D One thing I can be happy about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that what you said is probably true of most Universities, but there are some that do it automatically. For my course, if your mean is 57-59 then as long as your median is 60 or above then you do automatically get bumped up to a 2.1

Sorry if I gave information that wasn't completely right then - my uni does it automatically, I hadn't realised it wasn't the same for all unis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnnycash wrote: »
    Sorry if I gave information that wasn't completely right then - my uni does it automatically, I hadn't realised it wasn't the same for all unis.

Thanks for posting this any way. Its something I might enquire about just to see.
  • Options
    Jimmy RiddleJimmy Riddle Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I get the feeling people wouldn't complain half as much if their work was marked up?