Such Thing as Indifference Towards Parents?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the other, rather depressing thread, about how it feels to lose a parent, I thought what about those who are indifferent to their parents?

Just read this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/feb/16/indifferent-towards-mother

"I can't remember the last time my mother and I hugged (though I hug my friends all the time) and the very thought of it makes me cringe"

This part particularity stood out for me, as my mother calls me "odd" for feeling this way. Now granted, in my situation I do believe my mother (mistakenly) thinks we are "friends", however I do not ever remember any "parental" relationship at all - our Grandparents took on that role.

Is there such thing as "indifference" to your parents? Or is there usually an underlying issue such as anger and resentment? Am I and the author of this article the only ones who just cannot bring themselves to hug their mother without feeling awkward?

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I'm the same with my mother. I have to force myself not to pull away if she touches me at all.

Although, if I'm honest, I don't have any love for her. She's not a nice woman at all.

My dad, on the other hand, I adore, and give him a hug every time I see him which is generally a couple of times a week.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Indifference doesn't happen on it's own it's a result of something else. I do not hug my parents usually. In fact I only remember hugging my mum once when she was upset about something. I do not respect my dad at all. Anger and resentment do play a large part I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, I feel the same about my mother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am like this with my parents. I think it is because of their indifference to me. Can't tell you when my mother has ever told me she loved me...if she did I would find it very awkward.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think my mother has ever hugged me. Not that she wasn't (isn't) a decent mum - she just wasn't built that way. I now live 500 miles away and see her maybe once a year.

I wonder if those facts are connected.
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I think it's quite sad. As a youngster you want approval and praise from your parents on what you do but it never seems enough.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get on well with my parents but I don't hug them and they don't hug me. My Mum did hug me a few years ago when I was going through a stressful time and I was very emotional, but that's the only time I can remember.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not in the least touchy feely with my parents. I don't think I'm 'indifferent'. They are the same with their parents too. It's just the way we've been raised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neb Adra wrote: »
    With the other, rather depressing thread, about how it feels to lose a parent, I thought what about those who are indifferent to their parents?

Just read this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/feb/16/indifferent-towards-mother

"I can't remember the last time my mother and I hugged (though I hug my friends all the time) and the very thought of it makes me cringe"

This part particularity stood out for me, as my mother calls me "odd" for feeling this way. Now granted, in my situation I do believe my mother (mistakenly) thinks we are "friends", however I do not ever remember any "parental" relationship at all - our Grandparents took on that role.

Is there such thing as "indifference" to your parents? Or is there usually an underlying issue such as anger and resentment? Am I and the author of this article the only ones who just cannot bring themselves to hug their mother without feeling awkward?

I have three Adult sons and a grown up foster son two foster children all the adults hug us (mum and dad) one of the foster children loves hugs (12yo) the other isn't able to hug but really likes to sit close to us. I think what you said is so sad. Parents and children (even Adult children) should hug eachother. I also believe this anti contact with parents has the potential to cause serious problems with future mental health and child raising for this generation.
    My sons hug me because they want to I often don't instigate these hugs they do. My sons hug me even in the street I'm proud to say.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I am close to my parents but never hug them, I'm just not a touchy feely sort of person but they know I love them, least I hope they do! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    never hugged or kissed my mum until after my dad died. It was because of pent up anger over things from my childhood. But im really not a huggy kissy type person.
    I do hug her now, as I think she prob needs it as much as I do:(
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I am indifferent, I went through a phase of really disliking her and indifference is much more peaceful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodness me, didn't realise so many people felt the same! Personally, I'm in two minds. My personal "indifference" towards my mother has gone through many other emotions to get to this point - mainly anger, however resentment, denial, feeling unwanted and a nuisance to her life are many others factors. I think it's more of a case of "I give up". However with my father, that is certainly more genuine indifference, haven't seen the man since I was three, so how many emotions can you have towards a person who never was in your life?

I hope the way I have been brought up hasn't made me "cold". I'm certainly not a touchy-feely person, however I like to think that the values and love taught to me by my Grandparents will be shown by me to my own kids one day. I feel sorry for those who have only known coldness by their closest adults.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm indifferent to my stepfather (who I do consider a permanent family member even though he divorced my Mum a decade ago), but I actively dislike the biologicals.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    I'm not in the least touchy feely with my parents. I don't think I'm 'indifferent'. They are the same with their parents too. It's just the way we've been raised.

I'm not either and I don't encourage it. I'm not that kind of person. In fact I find touchy feely types rather annoying.
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love is not always shown in words and hugs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I share more in common with my grandparents than my parents.
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    I share more in common with my grandparents than my parents.

I am not being rude or negative, just interested...Why?
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Mutual indifference with me and my parents

At the end of the day some people aren't good at being parents
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hug my children and grandchildren all the time and they hug me too. I also hug my sons and daughter in law.we are all very close as a family .i think it's sad when parents don't show affection to their children and the children sometimes grow up not being able to show affection to other people.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my parents but we don't hug very often, now I think about it. I used to feel closer to my dad than my mum as a child, I was more into computers and things he'd help with, rather than her. However, thinking about it, I only ever hug my mum - I can't remember hugging my dad.

Do other people hug their parent of the opposite gender? I probably did hug my dad when I was much younger but I guess I'd feel a bit...weird(?) if I went to hug my dad somehow.

I'd thought about hugging my mum before Christmas, since I was quite stressed out etc. and then she had her accident and ended up in hospital, in a wheelchair. She asked me to hug her but its not the same as when your able to stand up properly :( I felt bad, like that taught me to try and do things while you can and all of that... I probably tend to shout at them more than show my appreciation but I do give them quite alot of gifts for Christmas and birthday if that helps redress the balance a little. If I feel I over stepped the mark at all, I sometimes buy little gifts (chocolate etc.) to apologise with :-/
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    greengran wrote: »
    I hug my children and grandchildren all the time and they hug me too. I also hug my sons and daughter in law.we are all very close as a family .i think it's sad when parents don't show affection to their children and the children sometimes grow up not being able to show affection to other people.

I'm exactly the same - I also hug my mum - always have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    flower 2 wrote: »
    I am not being rude or negative, just interested...Why?

Mother has a personality disorder and father didn't want children. So it was a bit awkward for all of us. Although I do relate to them in some respects, I identify more with my grandparents, and other adults in my life growing up.