Options

Worthy 'Legend Slot' Performers at Glasto

Comments

• Options
    James_Barker1James_Barker1 Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    I agree with Cher as already mentioned, but also Tina Turner would be a very good choice.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Cher would be a headline act..not the legends spot.

Given the criteria mentioned earlier in the thread, I would have thought she'd be better suited to the legends spot at this point in her career.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the criteria mentioned earlier in the thread, I would have thought she'd be better suited to the legends spot at this point in her career.

Not really she would be a major headline act, like most of the acts mentioned in this thread so far.
  • Options
    Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Bryan Adams
    The Eagles
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really she would be a major headline act, like most of the acts mentioned in this thread so far.

Why so?

An earlier post said that the type of act appropriate for the Legends slot is typically someone whose back catalogue is familiar to most but not the usual sort of performer(s) you'd see at Glasto, but given their long and successful career they would be a novelty but a popular draw.

I think Cher fits that, as I assume the people who suggested her do. Headliners, to me, are the biggest contemporary acts like Kasabian and Arcade Fire, and Metallica whose appearance would have been a huge draw due to the relative rarity of their live performances. Their career may stretch back to the 80s but I feel Cher's dating back to the 60s finds her more fitting in the Legends slot.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celine Dion
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why so?

An earlier post said that the type of act appropriate for the Legends slot is typically someone whose back catalogue is familiar to most but not the usual sort of performer(s) you'd see at Glasto, but given their long and successful career they would be a novelty but a popular draw.

I think Cher fits that, as I assume the people who suggested her do. Headliners, to me, are the biggest contemporary acts like Kasabian and Arcade Fire, and Metallica whose appearance would have been a huge draw due to the relative rarity of their live performances. Their career may stretch back to the 80s but I feel Cher's dating back to the 60s finds her more fitting in the Legends slot.

Glasto has changed over the years, Kylie, Jay Z, Beyonce would not have been your typical headline act either. Besides Cher is a very big act therefore she would command a headliner slot.
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,162
    Forum Member
    Best suggestion so far: Barry Manilow.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Tony Bennett. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glasto has changed over the years, Kylie, Jay Z, Beyonce would not have been your typical headline act either. Besides Cher is a very big act therefore she would command a headliner slot.

Not typical, no, but contemporary - whereas I would debate that Cher is not (on the basis that she's no longer an artist with consistent output, ie. only one studio album release since 2001), and so more appropriate in the Legends slot.

Metallica headlining caused enough of a fuss, I would imagine Cher as a headliner would bewilder your average Glasto-goer even more so.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Some feasible suggestions here. I could actually see people like Cher, Barry Manilow, Tina Turner and Bryan Adams in the legend slot.

I can also imagine people like Diana Ross, Chaka Khan and Rod Stewart. In a strange way, I can see Meat Loaf doing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »
    Some feasible suggestions here. I could actually see people like Cher, Barry Manilow, Tina Turner and Bryan Adams in the legend slot.

I can also imagine people like Diana Ross, Chaka Khan and Rod Stewart. In a strange way, I can see Meat Loaf doing it.

I could definitely see Rod Stewart doing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    The moody blues,Fleetwood Mac and Joe bonamassa for next year.
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People like Tina Turner are semi-retired nowadays so if they were to be convinced to do Glastonbury, I'd imagine they'd want nothing less than headliner.

Michael Bolton would be another good shout but I suppose his songs take themselves a bit too seriously, especially in comparison to the proudly camp sounds of Dolly, Tom Jones, Manilow and Bassey.

If Cher ends up extending her North American tour to Europe next summer, I'm sure Glastonbury would welcome her.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Wonder if Kylie will ever play Glasto. Of course we know she was going to but then she sadly became very ill. But I wonder why she's never done it since? Would be cool to see Kylie at Glastonbury. :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1289884/Glastonbury-Festival-2010-Kylie-Minogue-beams-takes-stage-Glastonbury-debut-sexy-leotard-disco-ball-boots.html

she played in 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8765194.stm
  • Options
    broker2304broker2304 Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Favourite suggestion so far is ELO. Haven't performed live for quite some time but are headlining at Hyde Park in September with the BBC Concert Orchestra so that could be a goer.

Or, how about ZZ Top ?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Young
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know what I was thinking with some of my original suggestions, blame a 60 hour week at work! I like the Tony Bennet suggestion
  • Options
    tommYHYHtommYHYH Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    After watching Dolly, I think Shania Twain would be a great act for Glastonbury.

If anybody has watched her 'Concert in Chicago' DVD then she definitely knows how to put on a show. Plus, she has a good back catalogue to go by.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    Name them all here:

- Kate Bush
    - Prince
    - Mariah Carey
    - Bjork
    - Bruce Springsteen
    - U2
    - Morrissey
    - Robbie Williams
    - Pink
    - Fleetwood Mac
    - Eminem
    - Paul Macartney
    - Barbara Streisand
    - David Bowie
    - Carole King

:o In his own mind maybe.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    Ac/dc
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's clear that some posters here are under the impression that the thread is about general suggestions for Glastonbury appearances.

While AC/DC is a valid suggestion for a main stage headliner, they are not suitable for the slot that has been graced by the likes of Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones, Dolly Parton et al.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elton John. But he might be offended with the slot.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Olivia Newton-John. She's got a great sing-a-long back catalogue. All the Grease stuff, Xanadu, Physical and she's still good live.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could definitely see Rod Stewart doing it.

Rod Stewart headlined Sunday night in 2002.