Options

What is so wrong about driving in the middle lane at 70mph

Comments

• Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The speed limit is also in the Highway Code. If they're doing 70 on the 3rd lane with the first two empty, they're not obstructing anybody. Unless somebody is doing 80 in the 3rd lane, in which case it's one rule breaker obstructing another rule breaker

It's like complaining that somebody parked illegally outside a bank is blocking a bank robbers getaway car

You should be driving to the best of your ability, not worrying that someone else is speeding. Sitting in the third Lane of a four Lane motorway basically turns it into a dual carriageway.

You're not their to enforce a speed limit by breaking the law yourself. The police said they'd be cracking down on this, so do so at your own peril. Telling the copper you were enforcing the speed limit by driving badly won't wash I'm afraid.

Also there are vehicles that can legally break the limit, so it doesn't really wash that because you're doing the limit it's fine.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    You should be driving to the best of your ability, not worrying that someone else is speeding. Sitting in the third Lane of a four Lane motorway basically turns it into a dual carriageway.

You're not their to enforce a speed limit by breaking the law yourself. The police said they'd be cracking down on this, so do so at your own peril. Telling the copper you were enforcing the speed limit by driving badly won't wash I'm afraid.

Everything you said works the other way round. Driving to the best of your ability means sticking to the limit, not worrying about somebody hogging a lane. Doing 90mph turns it into a race track

They're not there to enforce lane usage by breaking the law themselves. The police are cracking down on speeders, they do so at their own peril. Telling the copper you were doing 90 because someone was doing 70 on the 3rd lane won't wash I'm afraid
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of years ago there was a long thread by some bloke who mistakenly thought there was no problem with stopping in the centre lane cruising along at 70mph. He was wrong, but he was such a bad driver, he couldn't see it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    A couple of years ago there was a long thread by some bloke who mistakenly thought there was no problem with stopping in the centre lane cruising along at 70mph. He was wrong, but he was such a bad driver, he couldn't see it.
    You've seen how it comes up over and over ad nauseam. Makes me think it's a wind-up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    If you are overtaking every 30 seconds then you are overtaking
    And if you knew the rules of the road you would know if your are not overtaking you should move into thd left lane

And 30 secs at 70mph is OVER half a mile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you get over for a police car racing up behind you flashing his lights do you reckon? Or would you keep him legal too?
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    If you are doing 70 there is no point to be bobbing in and out just so someone exceeding the limit can do so without going into the overtaking lane.

what 70 mph limit? :confused:
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Continue to do it if you wish but be aware you may be fined for it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22770064
  • Options
    collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the police saw a driver travelling at 75mph move from lane 1 to lane 4 to overtake somebody in lane 3 doing 70mph on an empty motorway, I know which numpty would get pulled over.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    The answer to OP's question "what's wrong with sitting in the middle lane?" is that motorways are a conduit designed to move as much traffic as possible from A to B. They're not like A roads or country lanes where people trundle about on their way to a cat show or a retail barn or whatever. Motorways are designed to funnel large volumes of traffic along a high-speed corridor. The legal limit may be 70, but everyone who uses them from Plod in his colourful Range Rover downwards knows that the arbitrary limit is 85 and on quiet urban motorways like the M6 in Cumbria at 3am on a Sunday, it's closer to 90, unless you're unlucky.

People who take it upon themselves to act as vigilante speed controllers by sitting at 70 in the middle lane and in doing so reduce the capacity by a third are <insert some insult here>. It's not your job to allocate road resources. Your job is to share road space with other road users as best you can, not to decide that 70 is plenty for me thank you very much and so should it be for everyone else. If you're not decisive enough to be able to drive as far left as is reasonable and in a manner that allows traffic to flow you should stick to B roads, and leave motorways to people who can make continual proactive decisions about where they should be at any given time. Parking in Lane 2 for no good reason is sign of a driver who does not actively think about the current situation. If decision making is too difficult for you, you either shouldn't be on a motorway, or should seek advice about how motorways work in the real world, not some pretence '70 is the limit' cop-out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    The answer to OP's question "what's wrong with sitting in the middle lane?" is that motorways are a conduit designed to move as much traffic as possible from A to B. They're not like A roads or country lanes where people trundle about on their way to a cat show or a retail barn or whatever. Motorways are designed to funnel large volumes of traffic along a high-speed corridor. The legal limit may be 70, but everyone who uses them from Plod in his colourful Range Rover downwards knows that the arbitrary limit is 85 and on quiet urban motorways like the M6 in Cumbria at 3am on a Sunday, it's closer to 90, unless you're unlucky.

People who take it upon themselves to act as vigilante speed controllers by sitting at 70 in the middle lane and in doing so reduce the capacity by a third are <insert some insult here>. It's not your job to allocate road resources. Your job is to share road space with other road users as best you can, not to decide that 70 is plenty for me thank you very much and so should it be for everyone else. If you're not decisive enough to be able to drive as far left as is reasonable and in a manner that allows traffic to flow you should stick to B roads, and leave motorways to people who can make continual proactive decisions about where they should be at any given time. Parking in Lane 2 for no good reason is sign of a driver who does not actively think about the current situation. If decision making is too difficult for you, you either shouldn't be on a motorway, or should seek advice about how motorways work in the real world, not some pretence '70 is the limit' cop-out.

This gets funnier and funnier. People are almost crying because somebody is driving safely in the middle lane :D if you want to do 90mph do it in the 'fast lane' not the middle lane you maniac

You should stick to bicycles and public transport
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The slow lane is often full of slow drivers and fully laden lorries that struggle to get above 25mph.

Drivers wanting to break the speed limit should overtake using the
    OVERTAKING LANE.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    The speed limit is also in the Highway Code. If they're doing 70 on the 3rd lane with the first two empty, they're not obstructing anybody. Unless somebody is doing 80 in the 3rd lane, in which case it's one rule breaker obstructing another rule breaker

And that makes it okay? :confused:
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is a dedicated OVERTAKING LANE for the purpose of overtaking.

You appear to be making things up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said :) The police rarely pull anyone unless they are doing over 95 mph. They tend to focus on 30 mph limits in residential areas or accident black spots. For many years now it has been accepted that the 70 mph is no longer an obeyed limit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This gets funnier and funnier. People are almost crying because somebody is driving safely in the middle lane :D if you want to do 90mph do it in the 'fast lane' not the middle lane you maniac

You should stick to bicycles and public transport
    Not crying chief just pointing up the difference between those who drive with an awareness of what's going on around them, and those who 'know the rules and stick to them'.

Up to you to work out where you sit. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The slow lane is often full of slow drivers and fully laden lorries that struggle to get above 25mph.

OVERTAKING LANE.

This is absolute nonsense! :blush: Most lorries travel at 55-60 ish fully laden or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not crying chief just pointing up the difference between those who drive with an awareness of what's going on around them, and those who 'know the rules and stick to them'.

Up to you to work out where you sit. :)

I don't stick to the rules, when I need to do 85 I do it in the appropriate lane not the middle lane.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Speed is not the point here. The middle and outside lanes are for overtaking only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't stick to the rules, when I need to do 85 I do it in the appropriate lane not the middle lane.
    <shrugs> Can't see what you're banging on about then.

Carry on. I'm off to watch the TdF in Yorks in a bit. Much more fun than CLOGs trying to justify their lack of awareness.

CLOGs: Centre Lane Owners Group. No awareness, no idea, just a blind adherence to 'the rules', and no clue about how a motorway is a conduit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

but It doesn't work like that. It's lane 1, 2 and 3. There is no fast lane
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member

OVERTAKING LANE.
    Well, that shows just how good your judgement of speed is.

The way I deal with you CLOCs is to just overtake on the left and be done with it. Can't be dangerous, as we're in different lanes, and you've already demonstrated that you won't move out of the one you're in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole argument of middle lane hogger haters seems to be that you want me to move over to the left. Well I want YOU to move over to the left. If we're both driving in the middle lane, why are you complaining about me driving in the middle lane? If I'm not going fast enough for you, then overtake me and come back into the middle lane (like you want me to do to slow vehicles in the left lane) or sit in the right lane (which you're complaining about me doing in the middle lane)

Literally makes no sense
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The whole argument of middle lane hogger haters seems to be that you want me to move over to the left. Well I want YOU to move over to the left. If we're both driving in the middle lane, why are you complaining about me driving in the middle lane? If I'm not going fast enough for you, then overtake me and come back into the middle lane (like you want me to do to slow vehicles in the left lane) or sit in the right lane (which you're complaining about me doing in the middle lane)

Literally makes no sense
    Not one chuffing clue have you? :)

Here's a tip for you - there are three lanes, two of which are overtaking lanes. You're reducing that number by 33% by deciding that it's up to you to decide who drives where. Do you ever notice how busy lane 3 can be? Probably not. It's easier for you to avoid making a decision by staying in lane 2 for mile after mile and in doing so force other drivers to use the last available lane, than for you to make any concious effort to drive in the correct lane.

Pitiful. And worst of all you believe you're right. Superb. :D
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Perhaps we should all ignore the Highway Code if it "Literally makes no sense"!!

The problem with far too many drivers, it seems to me, is that the last time they read their Highway Code was the day they passed their test.