Options

Your First Memory?

Comments

• Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Rachael. wrote: »
    I have lots of vivid memories which I work out I'd have been around 2 but I could be imagining them. My clearest memory is my 3rd birthday. I had a Mr Blobby cake and when I blew the candles out I got upset and didn't want the cake to get cut (I LOVED Mr Blobby). Eventually I was tricked and taken into another room and a relative then cut up my beloved Mr Blobby....:(:mad:

Tricked into eating a Mr Blobby cake :D I'm sure you would have got over it pretty quick....

I wonder if anywhere still sells those? Googling 'Mr blobby cake' right now...
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Tricked into eating a Mr Blobby cake :D I'm sure you would have got over it pretty quick....

I wonder if anywhere still sells those? Googling 'Mr blobby cake' right now...

I didn't get over it. Still haven't in fact :D I was genuinely heart broken lol Oh I hope so, I might get one made for my daughter's birthday she like Mr Blobby (I did not force her to watch Mr Blobby videos on Youtube for my own entertainment :blush:.......)
  • Options
    enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also setting the microwave on fire when i was trying to cook something.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I remember my first days at school very vividly but my memory goes back further than that.

I remember a very snowy/icy winter and my mum slipping and tipping me out of the pushchair - she went into the local shop for plasters and a dummy.

I also remember a big black cooking range in the kitchen - I pricked my finger on a sharp bit and said 'bugger' after much hilarity I think I got a tap on the bum ( I was about three).

I'm 58 years old now but have loads and loads of very vivid memories from school and early childhood.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,136
    Forum Member
    People wouldn't believe me in what my earliest memory is.
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    I didn't get over it. Still haven't in fact :D I was genuinely heart broken lol Oh I hope so, I might get one made for my daughter's birthday she like Mr Blobby (I did not force her to watch Mr Blobby videos on Youtube for my own entertainment :blush:.......)

Someone whose earliest memory relates to Mr Blobby now has their own daughter. God I feel old.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Having a hairy canary when my dad took a polaroid, and the photo did not show instantly! I started crying and stamping my feet, I was about 2, and of course he took another one while i was doing this! I remember them laughing and I can see why now!
  • Options
    eva_prioreva_prior Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was three years of age, I recall spending an entire afternoon poking into the cracks of an old brick wall with sticks to disturb spiders with my older sister and some neighbourhood kids.

I was very proud to get the biggest spider!
  • Options
    enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just remembered an old memory of my mum going to work and telling my brother to take a pizza out of the oven in 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 28/07/17 - 18:49 #36
    Styker wrote: »
    People wouldn't believe me in what my earliest memory is.

Why don't you just tell us? There are cases of people recalling being born - usually at first assumed to be a dream about getting stuck in a tunnel. Though few people can recall anything before the age of 3 because of the way the young brain develops memory centres. Some powerful emotional memories from earlier do stick, often re-remembered from about the age of 7 or so when we start to recall more conventionally and can incorporate fragments from very early on before they otherwise dissipate.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 28/07/17 - 18:47 #37
    My first powerful memory (I have some fragments from earlier) is age 3 years, 3 months, when we moved from the country to a Manchester suburb. I recall crying at leaving the house in the hills with a swing in the garden on a day with snow falling heavily. And feeling very sad arriving at the terraced house in the city as it was so utterly different from where I knew. I can picture going into the bare bedroom and putting a beautiful golden coach on the window sill - the Coronation coach of Queen Elizabeth that was then just two years before. And a wooden Noah's ark on the floor with all model animals, hand made by an uncle.

Events that have an emotional tag are often the ones that stick from early on like these.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not being allowed to leave the garden because I had measles or something similar
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I have some memories of what you'd call, still at a baby stage, but can't really say which was my first memory. I can't remember before about 9 months old though. I have some very early memories though.

I can remember the bombings and the ak-ak guns firing at the planes.
    I was born and raised in the Aintree area of Liverpool even though it was a rural area we had two ROF [ ROYAL ORDNANCE FACTORIES] within a mile as the crow flies.
    I just remember the noise and the searchlights.
    Some of my best memories are seeing the soldiers coming home and that went on until 1948 because of injuries or convalescing.
    Even though those coming home was a happy time it still brings a tear to my eyes.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when I got my first bed - they came to take my cot away & I was sitting in my cot clinging to the rails/posts & screaming/crying as I did not want to lose my cot; I remember being at nursery school & being on a kiddies' bike & falling over the front when another toddler bumped in to the back of mine, my baby teeth were smashed up real bad & I had to go to the dentist to have what was left of the front ones removed; I remember being pushed by my mum in my buggy on a windy/rainy day, I had a Wombles umbrella & it got blown in to the road, my mum went to get it but it was ruined as it had been run over by a car. It's difficult to put these in chronological order considering they all happened when I was 2 or 3 & I'm almost 45 now.
  • Options
    LukatarLukatar Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 28/07/17 - 19:04 #41
    Breaking my toy 'Jack in a box'. I am not 100% sure how old I was but given the information my parents have told me about when I had the toy I think I may have been somewhere between 2 and 3. MAYBE a bit later.
  • Options
    Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being at a street party for the Queens silver jubilee in 1977
  • Options
    Laurel1neLaurel1ne Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 28/07/17 - 19:07 #43
    Playing Sea-Saw on a builders plank on a road-side kerb with my brother. My brother jumped off and so the plank came down onto the road heavily knocking me back onto the road and slitting the skin on the back of my head. I had to go to casualty to have it stitched up

My mother didn't have a car and my father was at work so my neighbour had to take us to the hospital in his 2CV

Another associated memory, I had to go a week or so later to have the stitches removed, because the stitches were tangles up in my hair the nurse was having a terrible time and was pulling huge chunks of hair out of the way causing me to squeal so mother gave the nurse a serious telling off

Just checked with mother, she says I was 3
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall sitting in a patch of sunlight seething with jealousy as my Mum was changing the new baby and singing to her. I leaned forward and bit my sister'a toes. I was less than two years old.
  • Options
    Tr1c1aTr1c1a Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember being in a cot, the door was open and I could see into the next room; dad was sitting in an armchair and I could just see the tiny b/w tv screen flickering. I have no idea how old I was but it was before my brother was born. I was eighteen months old when he arrived and I remember being tucked up in a big pram and trying not to move as there was a tiny baby tucked up next to me. The pram apron was pulled up so I could not see over it but I could hear the rain and, strangely enough, I knew we were at the top of the street where we lived, just on our way home.
  • Options
    maggiekmaggiek Posts: 2,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worzil wrote: »
    zx50 wrote: »
    I have some memories of what you'd call, still at a baby stage, but can't really say which was my first memory. I can't remember before about 9 months old though. I have some very early memories though.

I can remember the bombings and the ak-ak guns firing at the planes.
    I was born and raised in the Aintree area of Liverpool even though it was a rural area we had two ROF [ ROYAL ORDNANCE FACTORIES] within a mile as the crow flies.
    I just remember the noise and the searchlights.
    Some of my best memories are seeing the soldiers coming home and that went on until 1948 because of injuries or convalescing.
    Even though those coming home was a happy time it still brings a tear to my eyes.

What an extraordinary memory for you. Brought tears to my eyes, too.
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I have flashes of picture style memories before the age of three, it wasn't until that age that I remember a full incident.
    Like nearly every child in the sixties I was in hospital having my tonsils out. I remember being in a big cot with railings that were as high as my head when I stood up. It was dark , but I was desperate and really anxious that I was going to wee the bed, so I climbed up and remember falling onto the floor.
    I toddled off down the nightingale style ward and found the loo. When I came back to my cot, I couldn't get back in, so I crawled under the bed and went to sleep. I can't remember being found . I can see it all clearly.
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have been about 2 and 9 months when my Mum was heavily pregnant with my brother. She had me on leading reins and I ran across her and she tripped over them smack on the pavement. I remember a woman helped her up. I've always felt guilty about that.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being in a booster seat at the back of my mum's car. I remember it because i was fascinated by the formation of the highway.
  • Options
    SkafaceSkaface Posts: 4,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can recall four really vivid memories, which I think probably happened in the following order:

1. Sitting all alone in my cot one day, (which was wedged in a corner of my bedroom between the wall and a spare double bed for when family came to stay), peering forlornly through the bars and suddenly realising I could escape if I could just get myself up onto the rail and launch myself onto the bed, thus ensuring a soft landing. I think I managed to do it fairly quickly, as I remember flopping onto the bed feeling all pleased with myself but I can't remember what happened next. I probably went wandering downstairs to find Mum, no doubt much to her surprise! I must have been between about 2 & 3 years old. I do remember sleeping in the double bed from a very young age, (probably due to that incident) and insisting on having my entire collection of teddy bears lined up side-by-side alongside me, which took up about 4 feet of the bed, leaving me with the remaining 6 inches. I didn't care though, as long as all my bears were with me - tucked up, safe and sound too. Lol.

2. Struggling to walk through a blizzard and really deep snow in the road next to ours, with Mum holding my reins (which were pale pink leather with bunny rabbits on), when a kindly old lady opened her front door and asked where on earth we were going in such terrible weather. Mum replied she had to go to the local shops. The old lady then suggested it would be much easier to leave me with her and pick me up on the way back. I got the impression Mum knew the lady (this was back in the days when people actually spoke to their neighbours), but she still ummed and aahhed a bit and said she didn't want to 'put upon' her, but the lady insisted and pointed out my Mum could get on with her shopping a lot more quickly and easily without me in tow, so Mum then gratefully accepted the offer and handed me over at the front door with strict instructions to behave myself. I remember standing meekly in the hallway while the old lady took my reins, all-in-one snowsuit and boots off before she led me into her lounge. She must have had grandchildren of her own, as she gave me a colouring book and some crayons to keep me occupied, but I wasn't really interested in them because I was absolutely fascinated by her budgie which was in a cage on a tall stand. It felt like I stood there for ages, staring up at it hopping from one perch to another. She also made me a beaker of orange squash and gave me a couple of biscuits. She was lovely and I felt very safe with her. I think it was during the winter of 63-64, so I would have been just coming up to my 3rd birthday.

3. My Nan and Grandad 'Pop' were sitting on our little sofa and I had a little white toy rabbit that smelled a bit funky, which I passed up to him and asked him to smell. He duly obliged and gave it a long, deep sniff, before quickly moving it away from his face and holding it at arm's length, exclaiming "Pooooh!", which made me giggle. He then handed it back to me and I immediately mimicked him, much to everyone's amusement. I was definitely only 2 at the time, as he sadly passed away suddenly on my 3rd birthday. I do know I adored him though and I can still recall the grey pinstripe trousers with turn-ups and the shiny black shoes he was wearing that day, as that was all I could really see of him as I was literally knee-high to him.

4. Sitting in front of our old coal fire, when I was about 3 or 4, Mum asked me several times to gather up all my PG Tips cards (who remembers them from the packets of loose tea?) and get them put back in my bag as she wanted to hoover the lounge. I really didn't want to, as I was in the middle of sorting them into their various categories, so I kept saying "Hang on, wait a minute." I obviously dragged it out far too long for her liking, as she then warned me if I didn't do it straight away, she'd throw them all on the fire. I really thought she was bluffing, but soon found out she wasn't! I sat there horrified when she marched over and started scooping handfuls of them up and chucking them onto the fire. I was screaming at her to stop, whilst frantically scrabbling around trying to gather the rest up off the floor. I lost a fair old chunk of my card collection that day and it felt like the end of the world to me. My lovely Mum usually had the patience of a saint, so I must have really pushed her too far that day.

I started school when I was 4 and a half, but the only memory I can recall from my first day there was sitting in my new classroom, wondering why there was a big puddle of what I thought was water directly below the chair a girl in front of me was sitting on, so I put my hand up and asked the teacher what it was. The poor girl then had to confess she'd wet herself.

Sorry for the long post, but it's amazed me not only how clearly those few memories came flooding back, but all the fine details and emotions along with them as I typed.
  • Options
    noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancing to Cyndi Lauper's 'Girls Just Want to Have Fun' with my Mum in the 'mobile home' whilst the house was being built. Was only in a nappy.

Can also remember visiting my Great Grandmother in the Residential Care Home, sitting in the conservatory lounge with two other old women on lounge chairs, and always had one of those blue biscuit tins under her seat. I'm not sure which came first, but I know the house was built before I turned two (when my sister arrived), and I believe my Great Grandma died when I was about three to four - I don't remember her dying, but I remember visiting her before she deteriorated from dementia. I can also remember seeing the empty Victorian swimming pool in the garden conservatory, with all the windows smashed and being taken over by grass and trees, and for some reason the ramp up to the room she always sat in. The care home used to be this beautiful Victorian mansion.

I know they say there's such a thing as 'Childhood Amnesia' which prevents memories before age three, but the care home was across the field from our house, so we always used to cut across it to get into the village; and Mum was forever playing '80s music (and still does), so perhaps it's the case that these memories kept being 'triggered' throughout my childhood.

My short-term memory is pretty crap to be honest, but I can remember all sorts of things long-term, often in incredible detail (e.g. what someone was wearing, how I felt, and little oddities like ornaments or decorations). I've got a horrible fear of forgetting memories, so if I remember something from long ago, I have to write it down.