Options

Corrie legend says the soap has lost its way

Comments

• Options
    Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's like most people on here. Says it's lost it's way then says he hasn't watched for years :D

Corrie best days may have been the 70s and 80s but the show wouldn't survive if it was still like that. It needs to change with the times
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's like most people on here. Says it's lost it's way then says he hasn't watched for years :D

Corrie best days may have been the 70s and 80s but the show wouldn't survive if it was still like that. It needs to change with the times

The way it is going I am surprised anyone can be bothered with it. All this repetitive rubbish with affairs and murders. Roy Barraclough is correct. Just because it is in the modern age is no excuse for the crap characters we get.
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree the show wouldn't survive if it didn't evolve, but he isn't calling for that. He's criticising the lack of humour and sensationalism, and he's right. Sensationalism is the death of soaps (just ask Brookside). Corrie is still funny but in smaller doses. Comedy doesn't run through its veins like it used to, and you can hardly tell me it's because the British public has gone off comedy.

I'm just relieved it wasn't Jean Alexander again!
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    Corrie now relies on sensationalism to keep me interested, whereas before even when there weren't any major stories, really well-written and funny scenes involving people like Mavis and Derek would keep me glued to the screen. At the moment, I'm finding it a real chore to sit through each episode. In fact for the past couple of weeks, I've usually had it on as background noise.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think Corrie has been doing well to recover from Phil Collinson's sensationalism era, when you think about it, there hasn't actually been any big stunt since the Rovers fire, there was the van crash with Nick, but that was just a small stunt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pah!
    What would Gilroy know about it?!

That gap-toothed baboon didn't even clean the pipes properly when he ran the Rovers.
    He never kept a proper eye on Jack down in that cellar either, where old Duckegg was always browsing the Sporting Life instead of keeping things in tip-top shape.

Oh no, Gilroy was more than happy to overlook all this, the corner-cutting melt, relying instead on Bet's huge knockers to keep the punters flooding in.

So he can darned well keep his cheeky trap shut, the bespectacled oaf.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Agree the show wouldn't survive if it didn't evolve, but he isn't calling for that. He's criticising the lack of humour and sensationalism, and he's right. Sensationalism is the death of soaps (just ask Brookside). Corrie is still funny but in smaller doses. Comedy doesn't run through its veins like it used to, and you can hardly tell me it's because the British public has gone off comedy.

I'm just relieved it wasn't Jean Alexander again!

When we get too many sensational SL's the impact becomes diluted and it tends to become the norm which begs the question where do soaps go from there and as you rightly stated above RIP Brookside.

I love the Corrie humour but it does need to be balanced with credible SL's and also interesting characters, characters that we actually care about.

I hate to criticise Corrie but like in most soaps a minority of the actors are poor (not as bad as some make out on here), I can just about cope with poor acting if the character is well written (it is only a soap after all), but, if the character isn't written well and then not acted well either then what are we left with?

The show has needed to evolve to survive but I suppose the problem is getting the balance right i.e. humour were appropriate, well rounded characters, strong SL's alongside the more mundane but necessary (to character development) continuing plots.

Just my thoughts :)
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    It's lazy writing and story lines. The mortality rates in soaps are astronomical, and not many die a natural death. And the constant 'revolving beds' is becoming very boring. I would put money on Leanne setting up home with Peter again, and then one of them cheating again.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What he actually means is he's Pissed off because he isn't in it any more.

His humour belongs in the 1970's.

The world moves on.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What he actually means is he's Pissed off because he isn't in it any more.

His humour belongs in the 1970's.

The world moves on.

I doubt it, he has stated before he wouldn't return. Why would anyone want to return, the show is dross right now and he would be underused like Dennis Tanner. The show is just a sleaze fest.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it, he has stated before he wouldn't return. Why would anyone want to return, the show is dross right now and he would be underused like Dennis Tanner. The show is just a sleaze fest.

Dross in your opinion maybe.

I happen to think it's still as watchable as it has ever been.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I rarely watch it.
    I do post spoilers in the main spoiler thread, and elsewhere, and I like reading this forum.

Needing to change with the times - yes, perhaps the factory should produce other goods instead of nickers (is that spelled knickers or nickers? the former, I think).

The way it is going I am surprised anyone can be bothered with it. All this repetitive rubbish with affairs and murders. Roy Barraclough is correct. Just because it is in the modern age is no excuse for the crap characters we get.

Yes, I agree with him and with you.

Roy Barraclough is 78 and, I think, is still acting; he was certainly in Last Tango in Halifax last year.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    There's far too many episodes of Corrie. Which means you get rubbish scripts because the writers are intent on meeting 'deadlines'. No thought goes into the characters, who churn out the same old lines and there is no charm nor subtly.

Barraclough's right about the soaps just wanting to outdo each other.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    There's far too many episodes of Corrie. Which means you get rubbish scripts because the writers are intent on meeting 'deadlines'. No thought goes into the characters, who churn out the same old lines and there is no charm nor subtly.

Also, audience expectations are changing. The world is in many ways very different to how it was in the 70s and 80s, and audiences want to see that reflected on screen. There is still humour in Corrie, but it tends to be there more due to the efforts of indvidual writers rather than being part of the overall make-up of the show.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

Good quality soaps never evolve beyond the need for solid three dimensional characterisation.When they do its the exact opposite of evolving.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed.

As for the character, Alec, I never liked him.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's simply moved on
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member

yep, but it can change with the times and be good, or change with the times and be bad.

My quarrel with the show isn't that "it's not the same as it was in the 70s". It's that it's rubbish badly written trash TV! :D

I watched it regularly up until early this year, and I continue to dip in to see if things have improved. So far they haven't. In fact, the gaps between my dipping in are getting greater each time, and yet each time it seems that storylines haven't progressed and characters are going round in circles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I have no problem with the soap "evolving", I have even enjoyed some of the sensational storylines. What is putting me off watching is the total character changes, lack of consistency and abysmal writing.

The whole Tina/Peter storyline was absolutely dreadful and totally out of character for them both. I know Peter is fond of having two ladies on the go but Tina, never. The latest annoyance is the total character transformation of Marcus now he is with Todd, taking sickies, being late to work etc. I could buy the notion of a gay man falling for a woman and maybe struggling with that but to do all that then leave her for a manipulator like Todd, ridiculous!

Now we have a mild mannered quiet little boy who has been almost invisible for all the years he is on Corrie starting to act up, the next week we read he will have ADHD. I would have expected there would be some sign of this before the age he is now. It seems like the plots are decided then just chucked around. What happened to Corrie being character led, this is when it is believable. Even the strangest behaviour or storyline can play out well if it "fits" the character or if the writing is good enough to make it believable. Sadly the writers of corrie have lost this ability for now.

I've watched corrie for over 40 years, stuck with it through thick and thin, there have been bad spells before but never for so long. I still keep up but I really think its only loyalty and habit. I would suggest that there are many others like me which explains why the viewing figures haven't been totally decimated.

I for one have been pleased we've had the World Cup, not that I am a footie fan, its just been a relief to have fewer episodes of Corrie!