Les Miserables

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Really good film!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if on the DVD there is a behind the scenes of Fantine's death? (and Eponine's actually). The emotion packed into those performances inparticular I'd like to see. I bet Anne was exhausted at the end of it, I know she wasn't in it long but her character certainly took a battering!

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but try You Tube. They discuss the emotions behind the scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=les+miserables+cast+interview+2012&oq=les+miserables+cast+&gs_l=youtube.1.1.0l10.93.8724.0.16948.18.9.0.9.9.0.217.1224.3j4j2.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.OTf7eckqdiM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um-QWNYD0dk
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »

Sorry, what I meant was, on the DVD special features there's various featurettes, I wondered if it showed the making of particular scenes (Like Anne making 'I Dreamed A Dream', Fantine's death etc).
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,964
    Forum Member
    It's available to pre-order now. :) Just ordered my copy.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same. I did mine last week

I have seen the film 4 times already, and that is before the dvd is out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a great extra on the US BluRay version. A 63minute long documentary of bringing the movie to screen which I hadn't seen before. There's also a featurette on Victor Hugo, which may or may not be to your taste. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't wait to see the behind the scenes.
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but the official UK release is on Monday May 13th. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait.

I'm wondering if big stores like Tesco etc will go all out and have the big cardboard cut out type things (like they did for the release of 'Skyfall') They're fun to have photos with :D
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,964
    Forum Member
    Can't wait.

I'm wondering if big stores like Tesco etc will go all out and have the big cardboard cut out type things (like they did for the release of 'Skyfall') They're fun to have photos with :D

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do, it's been a massive success. :)

I've pre-ordered my copy with Amazon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish there was news on a director's cut. I really hope there will be one. I bet there's tons of extras that could be added too.

Fingers crossed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a rumor that a director's cut will go in cinemas to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the stage show (which will be next year). Such a long process :(
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a rumor that a director's cut will go in cinemas to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the stage show (which will be next year). Such a long process :(

The 30th anniversary of the stage show isn't until October 2015, not next year!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the Blu-ray release will have an additional 8 minutes extra!?
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the Blu-ray release will have an additional 8 minutes extra!?

The naked Edddie shower scene? :eek:

(And then I woke up.........)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The naked Edddie shower scene? :eek:

(And then I woke up.........)

No :p

I wonder what it is though. It could be 2/3 (short) scenes.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait.

If there is an Eddie one, it's going missing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »

I'm not a fan of Director's Cut's. I can't think who it was but I read an interview with a Director who says they shouldn't be necessary.
    A good Director won't release a film that doesn't have what he wants on the screen and will argue and fight for it to be included even if it means that release schedules are missed etc.
    He feels the same way with "Extended Editions" as well, which he called a total rip-off and nothing other than money making exercises. If you want your film to last 130 minutes then release it at that length, don't release one at 110 minutes in the cinema then release an extended version in the cinema or on DVD later. In his opinion a Director loses integrity when he releases Extended or Director's cuts.

I have to admit I'm curious what he would add or change, but will never watch it if there is one as I agree with that Director whose name escapes me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I am honest, I don't normally find Director's cuts all that, unless it really something more to the plot like added scenes or something. But most director's cut usually include lines that were cut, more nudity, more violence, different angles of an existng scene and more bad language and other tiny things.
    Forum Member
    If I am honest, I don't normally find Director's cuts all that, unless it really something more to the plot like added scenes or something. But most director's cut usually include lines that were cut, more nudity, more violence, different angles of an existng scene and more bad language and other tiny things.

I'm the same. Directors Cuts basically mean putting in the stuff that wasn't needed in the first place.
    You often hear on cemmentaries a Director saying such and such was longer but was cut or we was going to do so and so but it didn't work as it slowed the film down, or wasn't needed.

I thouht the new added song added for the Oscar attempt sung by Hugh Jackman added nothing to the film as did the whole in the coach scene. I wouldn't miss it if it were edited out.

Thinking of what could be added in the Blu-Ray version or a Director's Cut, I'm wondering if they shot a full length version of "Beggars at the Feast" rather than that 30 seconds or so that they used?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Usually Director's cuts are somewhat fishy BUT, it seems 'les Mis' is the exception (because of the mass that was apparently left out).

Strangely, at a film running more than 2 hours 30 minutes, you could still kind of feel the draft of "but there's more!"
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking of what could be added in the Blu-Ray version or a Director's Cut, I'm wondering if they shot a full length version of "Beggars at the Feast" rather than that 30 seconds or so that they used?

The full version of A Little Fall of Rain, I'm sure I read somewhere that that was filmed...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would hope more scenes with Anne Hathaway were filmed. There was so much moret o Fantine that could be explored, as we only see her from when she is working at the factory, to when she sells her hair and then to her sad death.
    Forum Member
    I would hope more scenes with Anne Hathaway were filmed. There was so much moret o Fantine that could be explored, as we only see her from when she is working at the factory, to when she sells her hair and then to her sad death.

I understand what you mean, but can't see how they can do it. The problem with musicals is they live and die on the music. The longer the gaps are between the songs the more the songs start to disrupt the flow of the film IMO.

Unless you are really engrossed in the story or engaged strongly with a character it's very easy to start wishing they hurry up to the next song as it's getting a bit dull.