Options

bt sports

duffman25duffman25 Posts: 966
Forum Member
✭✭
bt sports will be on top up with the sky sports channel going so we will have bt sports 1 2 and espn.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/05/09/bt-sport-goes-free/

Comments

• Options
    SobeitSobeit Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    duffman25 wrote: »
    bt sports will be on top up with the sky sports channel going so we will have bt sports 1 2 and espn.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/05/09/bt-sport-goes-free/

That's not actually what it says. It says that BT Sports will only be available via BT and that the SS1 and 2 DTT feeds will become BT Sport. It does not say that any of it will be available via TUTV. It implies that it won't.
  • Options
    kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Sky Sports on DTT will be dropped and TopupTV will no longer be able to offer them.

Unless they take over the streams and pay Sky for the right to broadcast them. As if.
  • Options
    SobeitSobeit Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    kjhskj75 wrote: »
    So Sky Sports on DTT will be dropped and TopupTV will no longer be able to offer them.

Unless they take over the streams and pay Sky for the right to broadcast them. As if.

I suppose they could move SS1 to channel 34. Whether that makes sense for them or not would depend on their subscription numbers.
  • Options
    duffman25duffman25 Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do hope top up tv do a deal and keep the sports i have always been a subscriber to them since the first day they started and i like the service
  • Options
    Rambler80Rambler80 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Its all rather confusing at present. You can still buy the sports channels through the TUTV website, surely if they were going TUTV would have to inform existing customers and stop selling to new ones?

I can't see the benefit in to BT in selling their sports channels to TUTV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Rambler80 wrote: »
    I can't see the benefit in to BT in selling their sports channels to TUTV.
    Really?

Extra subscribers.

Ever heard the phrase 'Every Little Helps'? I think Tesco used it for a while.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Really?

Extra subscribers.

Ever heard the phrase 'Every Little Helps'? I think Tesco used it for a while.:D

If BT's motive is to tap into Sky/Virgin customers then TUTV is going to be small change in the grand scheme of things.

Having said this I would like to see BT Sports 1 replace ESPN on DTT.

The irony of BT continuing to run CH41 and 42 on DTT is that the forum naysayers argued for years that BT were going to get rid because it was too expensive to run! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    If BT's motive is to tap into Sky/Virgin customers then TUTV is going to be small change in the grand scheme of things.

Having said this I would like to see BT Sports 1 replace ESPN on DTT.

The irony of BT continuing to run CH41 and 42 on DTT is that the forum naysayers argued for years that BT were going to get rid because it was too expensive to run! :D
    If BT want to succeed where Setanta and ESPN failed, they will need every subscriber they can get, regardless of platform.

Every Little Helps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Looking on the BT Sports website it doesn't mention anything about being able to watch on DTT it says available on Sky, BT TV via Infinity and online/by app
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like it will be on DTT but with some conditions! BT clearly want you to sign up for BT Broadband and a BT TV package. ESPN will only be available via broadband. They could theoretically cut TUTV off.

Great news! If you're not yet eligible for BT Infinity, you can still experience BT Sport on your TV. Just fill in your details on this page and you'll be the first to hear about when you can get BT Sport.

As long as you have BT Broadband and a BT TV package, you'll be able to watch BT Sport on your TV via your TV aerial (£10 viewing card and BT Vision+ box required).1 We'll be ready before the start of the live Barclays Premier League, so you won't miss a kick!

https://www.register.btsport.com/
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT Vision customers will watch BT 1 and 2 via DTT, not sure about ESPN.

It is yet to see if a deal with Top Up for access to these channels will be made.

My understanding is this arrangement will be in place for a year by which time BT's fibre network will be greatly extended and the youview update will have happened.

Then BT's contract for the 2 slots will be up so it is likely BT will switch to IPTV for BT 1 and 2 IF the updates happened (hopefully it will in coming weeks but this is BT, could be a while)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As discussed it appears that BT Sport 1 and 2 will be launched on DTT in August to appease non infinity BT customers. These BT customers will of course need a BT TV subscription.

IMO Sky Sports would be a huge loss to TUTV. BT Sports is essentially Setanta with a few add on's. There is far more premium content on SS than BT's offerings.

Obviously the key is if TUTV can retail BT/ESPN individually as they do currently with SS1/2/ESPN now. On top of this will BT Sports 2 and the revised ESPN be worth anything if marketed as standalone subscription channels? How much premium content is likely to be on these channels?
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT Vision customers will watch BT 1 and 2 via DTT, not sure about ESPN.

It is yet to see if a deal with Top Up for access to these channels will be made.

My understanding is this arrangement will be in place for a year by which time BT's fibre network will be greatly extended and the youview update will have happened.

Then BT's contract for the 2 slots will be up so it is likely BT will switch to IPTV for BT 1 and 2 IF the updates happened (hopefully it will in coming weeks but this is BT, could be a while)
    From the website that Everything Goes has linked to, in the T&Cs:
    You will not be able to watch ESPN on your TV or BT Sport channels in HD
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As discussed it appears that BT Sport 1 and 2 will be launched on DTT in August to appease non infinity BT customers. These BT customers will of course need a BT TV subscription.

IMO Sky Sports would be a huge loss to TUTV. BT Sports is essentially Setanta with a few add on's. There is far more premium content on SS than BT's offerings.

Obviously the key is if TUTV can retail BT/ESPN individually as they do currently with SS1/2/ESPN now. On top of this will BT Sports 2 and the revised ESPN be worth anything if marketed as standalone subscription channels? How much premium content is likely to be on these channels?
    It is being launched on DTT but no one knows if TUTV will be retailing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    R410 wrote: »
    It is being launched on DTT but no one knows if TUTV will be retailing it.

I am aware of this. My point is if TUTV do retail the channels what is their standalone value? How much would you pay for the new ESPN if it was primarily american sports? How much would you pay for BT Sports 2 if BT decided to put their 'lesser' content on that channel?

Sky Sports channels currently retail at 25.99 each on TUTV. How much would you pay for the BT Channels through TUTV?

Same goes for ESPN at present (11.99). Without EPL and Aviva Rugby how much?
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    R410 wrote: »
    From the website that Everything Goes has linked to, in the T&Cs:

Looks like ESPN is going, probably the rest of that stream will go too - as it ties in nicely with Film4+1's launch date. It appears that BT Sport will be retailed directly by BT, and the "added value" of TV Favourites would be TUTV's only selling point... and, by the looks of things, the only bit of their service still remaining come August.

Will they keep it running or just abandon the perpetually sinking ship?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Looks like ESPN is going, probably the rest of that stream will go too - as it ties in nicely with Film4+1's launch date. It appears that BT Sport will be retailed directly by BT, and the "added value" of TV Favourites would be TUTV's only selling point... and, by the looks of things, the only bit of their service still remaining come August.

Will they keep it running or just abandon the perpetually sinking ship?

Yes Film 4+1 taking over from ESPN would certainly fit in timing wise. Wonder when TUTV will announce something? 31st July perhaps :D
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT might need TUTV for their DTT encryption service, (as TUTV have the exclusive Kudelski UK rights) which would be the only reason why TUTV might be allowed to resell BT Sports. However as soon as more of the UK gets Infinity and the BT transmission contract with Arqiva can be terminated, it will be, and that would be the end of TUTV. Also BT could get its own encryption deal from somewhere else and cut TUTV out now. That might explain the need for new boxes being mentioned.
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Film 4+1 taking over from ESPN would certainly fit in timing wise. Wonder when TUTV will announce something? 31st July perhaps :D

I am still hoping that Film4 HD will launch this summer on the 5th HD slot and Film 4+1 will replace Film4 SD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT might need TUTV for their DTT encryption service, (as TUTV have the exclusive Kudelski UK rights) which would be the only reason why TUTV might be allowed to resell BT Sports. However as soon as more of the UK gets Infinity and the BT transmission contract with Arqiva can be terminated, it will be, and that would be the end of TUTV. Also BT could get its own encryption deal from somewhere else and cut TUTV out now. That might explain the need for new boxes being mentioned.

The BT Vision+ box would obviously work with that. YouView box wont work with it.

What other if any encryption systems is the BT Vision+ box compatible with?
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am still hoping that Film4 HD will launch this summer on the 5th HD slot and Film 4+1 will replace Film4 SD.
    There's definitely no chance they're going to scrap Film 4 SD on Freeview.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol, that's when Virgin's is. Top Up's is on the 16th August :D
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    BT Have announced nothing with regards to DTT axing of SS1 & 2 yet people are on here speculating speculating speculating as-if its written in stone solid fact.
    Aos, why the hell would BT axe DTT Sky Sports when that would cost them subscribers!? A huge chunk of them!
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    BT Have announced nothing with regards to DTT axing of SS1 & 2 yet people are on here speculating speculating speculating as-if its written in stone solid fact.
    Aos, why the hell would BT axe DTT Sky Sports when that would cost them subscribers!? A huge chunk of them!

You need to look at Everything Goes' link. Nothing about Sky Sports there, and why would they retail that over BT Sports when they own the latter?
  • Options
    Kipper2Kipper2 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Whilst it's true there will be loss of subscribers to SS1 & SS2 on channels 41 & 42 the number is much smaller than those subscribing to ESPN on channel 34. This is mainly due to Sky insisting on a different CAM. It will be interesting to see if BT are willing to lose the current customers via TUTV.
    Cheers