Options

Is Peter Capaldi a good choice for the 12 Doctor?

Comments

• Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    That really is nothing like being positive!
    Why not wait until you've seen the guy actually perform as the Doctor?
    Then your opinion might have some validity!
    :)

Likewise lets have a balanced opinion and say this to all the ones saying he is the right choice and is going to be great, great to see an older actor etc etc etc
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Syn22 wrote: »
    Yes. It's a huge coup by Moffat, I'm almost tempted to say that Doctor Who is beneath Capaldi but he clearly doesn't thinks so.

Wonder what Trevor Eve and his luvvies opinions are,:D
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expected the forum to be divided on his casting but the general consensus is majority in favour of his appointment.

Not me.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst choice ever. Even worse than Graham Taylor as England football manager!
    In 1990, he became the manager of the England team, but resigned in November 1993, after failing to qualify for the 1994 FIFA World Cup in the United States. Taylor was heavily criticised personally and professionally during his failed tenure. Taylor faced even more criticism when a documentary, which filmed the failed qualifying campaign, aired in 1994. Taylor was heard to utter the words "Do I not like that", when England conceded a goal to Poland, and it became a national catchphrase.

Taylor currently holds the record for the 'all time worst person to be chosen to do something'! :D
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good choice of actor, we needed an older doctor after this last fella who whilst not bad was not great as a Doctor IMHO.

Capaldi is a good actor and the show I believe will benefit from him playing the lead :)
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I'm still stunned by the choice.

Whilst loving series 5, 6 and (increasingly) 7 have been dreadful for me.

This looks like taking Who back to its roots, in establishing a side to the character we haven't seen since the original series.

Following the often action-based and 'arc-lite' series 7, and after the heavy 6 arc, its another volte-face by Moffat, but my what guts he has to do this. Never been a huge River fan (just purely because of the convoluted/contrived nature of their 'relationship') but would love at least an episode or two of these playing off each other.

Seriously excited again after being 'meh' for a few years now, despite Matt being an all-time great. :D
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Worst choice ever. Even worse than Graham Taylor as England football manager!

Taylor currently holds the record for the 'all time worst person to be chosen to do something'! :D

He would have to go some way to compete for that title with Norman Lamont.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I'm still boggled at people thinking that an older actor can't be appreciated and loved by a teenage or child audience. Have we forgotten the Sarah Jane Adventures so quickly?

And one of my toddler son's favourite shows is watching The Cribbins on CBeebies!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still boggled at people thinking that an older actor can't be appreciated and loved by a teenage or child audience. Have we forgotten the Sarah Jane Adventures so quickly?

And one of my toddler son's favourite shows is watching The Cribbins on CBeebies!

Two very different premises.

"The Sarah Jane Adventures" was specifically targeted towards an early/mid teenage audience and was cast with teenagers as the main characters. As fabulous as Elizabeth Sladen was in the role, her part was somewhat secondary to the main cast of the younger characters.

Toddler's viewing habits are far less sophisticated than that of teenagers.
  • Options
    handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter will be fantastic.
    And he has bucketloads of charisma, so don't worry about whether he's fanciable enough! :D

Seriously - a brilliant choice. I squealed with delight when I realised who it was!
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show will lose some viewers and gain some viewers.

Dr Who is the only show in the world that can regenerate itself and subsequently have a very good chance of doing well out of the change.

Other shows that do major cast changes are wiped out by it, Dr Who actually benefits from a new cast...
  • Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes :D Very much looking forward to seeing how he plays the Doctor.
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think ratings will stay the same or actually increase, if the scripts are good enough. Which i'm sure they will be.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It needed to be someone older. I wasn't expecting someone quite so old, but Im very happy.
  • Options
    SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't get over the fact he's the same age that William Hartnell was when he started!
  • Options
    Slainte MhathSlainte Mhath Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    My instant reaction was no. But then I think that's because Malcolm Tucker was such an iconic character.

However, on reflection I think that's myopic of me and I'm now confident he's a good choice and I'm glad they've gone for an older actor again.

Like all actors who play the Doctor he's at the mercy of the scripts...
  • Options
    PeculiarcandlePeculiarcandle Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Is he already on his way to becoming the most popular doctor ever???
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I'm really pleased with the casting. I just hope the writing allows him to flourish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he already on his way to becoming the most popular doctor ever???

How can he be, when he hadn't been in any episodes yet?
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    SamMcK wrote: »
    I can't get over the fact he's the same age that William Hartnell was when he started!

Will he grow longer hair for the role?
  • Options
    Oktoberfest1991Oktoberfest1991 Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    An excellent choice. Peter Capaldi is an accomplished actor.

Putting Malcolm Tucker to one side, don't forget he played Frobisher in Torchwood:Children of Earth. He was quite easily the best actor in that mini-series

I saw him on stage last year in "The Ladykillers" in the lead role, and he was quite outstanding.

I'm really looking forward to the next series now, as there will be different dynamics between the Doctor and companions/aliens alike (all dependant on decent scripts obviously).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An excellent choice. Peter Capaldi is an accomplished actor.

Putting Malcolm Tucker to one side, don't forget he played Frobisher in Torchwood:Children of Earth. He was quite easily the best actor in that mini-series

I saw him on stage last year in "The Ladykillers" in the lead role, and he was quite outstanding.

I'm really looking forward to the next series now, as there will be different dynamics between the Doctor and companions/aliens alike (all dependant on decent scripts obviously).

I must admit to have forgotten about that and I agree he portrayed the character very well indeed.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted no!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I can already picture him as the Doctor.

I can't quite understand those that say he's too old. Hartnell was very popular in his day (and without him Doctor Who may not even be around today), and most Doctors have been played by people older than Smith and Tennant. Peter was awesome in Children of Earth and in Neverwhere, and I've watched some clips of The Thick of It and he was good in that too. Really looking forward to seeing what he does with the role.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    I do not know who he is
    why on the sky news report do they say november he's takin over.