Options

Was Denise robbed ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Denise was robbed I think all her dances were better that both Louis and Kimberley's
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    Now I know you're away with the fairies - Denise show dance was probably the best danced but it was the common failure of a showdance too many ruddy lifts IMO. If you think that was the one of the all time greatest showdances do yourself a favour and look up Tom and Camelia's showdance on You Tube - now that was a showdance!!

I loved Tom and Camilla's Showdance. It was fun, acted well and felt like something from a show, not a sterile display of lifts.

I'm surprised at Denise. I would have thought she'd go down the Tom and Camilla route, doing a showdance with some decent acting, a sense of humour and some West End influence. She is a West End performer after all. I was disappointed by her music choice (no-one should even think about touching that after Robert Webb's hilarious dance to it - which Denise saw live) and even more disappointed that she didn't just go all out to have a laugh and play to her strengths.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    And as long as they're not from Essex apparently:

Strictly Come Dancing’s James Jordan: Nobody likes Denise Van Outen because she’s from Essex :yawn:

I think that's reasonable actually as someone who grew up in Essex :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denise was robbed I think all her dances were better that both Louis and Kimberley's

there are three vital letters missing from that post - I M O - the differences in abilities were so slight that nothing was self-evident - apart from the fact that Dani and Vincent kinda blew it which is a terrible shame as they were great all series, througly deserved their place in the final and deserved some credit for trying something different even if it didn't quite come off. I really wish that Denise had danced to Vincent's chereography that would have been something to see. OH and the right four people were in the final - end of.
  • Options
    komentaightorkomentaightor Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denise is about the only dancer in Strictly history who had the technique, strength and right partner to be able to do a show danc à la Hannah Kartnunen, which is what used to be demonstrated so boringly in earlier series of Strictly. - so that is what they did.

Probably never again. Denise was/is exceptional. And you could tell from her remark up in the Tessanine that she had no illusions whatsoever that she would be lifting the glitterball.

Must be so disheartening to give your all for a dance competition and know that the naff audience vote would always go to the Golden Boy. But I think she and James settled for what they got - the plaudits of their fellow dancers and a large number of the public going Wow Wow Wow.

Luckily the Glitterball is such a tawdry looking trophy - wouldn't go with the décor in many living rooms nowadays. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's reasonable actually as someone who grew up in Essex :p

I have no problem with people from Essex. Denise's husband is from Essex and seems lovely. Dame Helen Mirren is also from Essex and always comes across as an interesting person, as well as being incredibly talented. I have no doubt that there are many other decent people from Essex. The problem I do have is with those idiots who play up to the negative stereotype of people from Essex - grating accents, tango tans and single figure IQs. Denise does herself no favours when she plays up to that stereotype.
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    This I think was the problem with the final the producers failed to understand the final isn't just about the finalists and the winner but a celebration of the whole series - what endures in the memory isn't always exclusively what wins or what makes the final. For me the highlight of this series was seeing Michael surprise everyone including me at Halloweon. At the end of the day Denise has probably helped her career that's all that really matters. SCD is about everyone that takes part and sometimes memorable dances are from those who don't even make the later stages - Cherie's rhumba for example.

You've made some really good points there and BIB - I totally agree with. She had that class about her though which lent itself to dances such as the rumba.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Denise was not robbed and she was lucky to be passed off as runner-up (I am still annoyed). She has no charisma IMO and her performing does not move me whatsoever, it feels flat. So she might be very good technically but that is not enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    I have no problem with people from Essex. Denise's husband is from Essex and seems lovely. Dame Helen Mirren is also from Essex and always comes across as an interesting person, as well as being incredibly talented. I have no doubt that there are many other decent people from Essex. The problem I do have is with those idiots who play up to the negative stereotype of people from Essex - grating accents, tango tans and single figure IQs. Denise does herself no favours when she plays up to that stereotype.

I didn't know about Helen Mirren - I'll have to look like up on You Tube - three of my friends are from Essex. My tongue was in my cheek but only partially so - I didn't have the funniest time growing up in Essex and I don't miss it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know about Helen Mirren - I'll have to look like up on You Tube - three of my friends are from Essex. My tongue was in my cheek but only partially so - I didn't have the funniest time growing up in Essex and I don't miss it.

She's from Southend, as is Denise's husband.
  • Options
    JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise is about the only dancer in Strictly history who had the technique, strength and right partner to be able to do a show danc à la Hannah Kartnunen, which is what used to be demonstrated so boringly in earlier series of Strictly. - so that is what they did.

Probably never again. Denise was/is exceptional. And you could tell from her remark up in the Tessanine that she had no illusions whatsoever that she would be lifting the glitterball.

Must be so disheartening to give your all for a dance competition and know that the naff audience vote would always go to the Golden Boy. But I think she and James settled for what they got - the plaudits of their fellow dancers and a large number of the public going Wow Wow Wow.

Luckily the Glitterball is such a tawdry looking trophy - wouldn't go with the décor in many living rooms nowadays. :D

I don't think Denise was all that cut up about not winning the public vote. She must know that people in the dance and entertainment industry have a very different opinion about who won, and they are the people whose opinions matter most in the long run.
  • Options
    ilovesootyilovesooty Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree absolutely. I liked, however, the fact that James was honest:. "I want to win: my wife has and I've never heard the last of it." That was truthful and I'd have thought less of him if he hadn't acknowledged it.
  • Options
    fairblokefairbloke Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    hey hey guys break it up - I would have said that Denise's routine was a better routine but both were enjoyable - the judges don't seem to understand charleston technique so what hope have the rest of us.

All of those judges are retired dancers. Three of them have been adjudicating, Len Goodman in particular, for many years and have to have the necessary qulifications to do so. They know everything there is to know about whatever they are judging or woulld not be allowed to do so. To imply they do not understand the technique of any of the dances they judge is both wrong and insulting.

I have been involved in ballroom, latin American, modern & classical sequence dancing for more years than I care to remember. I know a good performance when I see it. Denise & James Charleston was outstanding, as were their jive & showdance. That showdance had so much content, so many lifts, many of them just plain dangerous, and all executed to perfection.

Will I remember Denise & James final routines in years to come? Most certainly.

Will I remember any of Louis & Flavia's this time next year? I do not think so. Probably the only thing may remember is Louis doing a handstand on that ball, looking like a big upside-down lollipop.

Denise had class, Louis shirtless look crass.

That said, Denise knew on the day she would not win, because to many of the public she looked as professional as James which "did not seem fair". I am sure Louis had to put in hours & hours of practice to reach his Olympic standard in gymnastics, winning two medals. And we were all shouting for him on the day. No one said he had an unfair advantage then because he outperformed other finalists on the Pommel Horse who came away with nothing..

Just coming in, spending the shortest time to learn the routine was not good enough for Denise. She wanted perfection, something which should be admired & acclaimed. (Not beaten down for.) So she put in more hours of practice, worked hard, and with willpower plus a sprinkling of talent she eventually achieved it. Denise got to the point where she looked professional. Then of course comes the rub.

She outperforms the other celebs week after week, and the public now deem that to be unfair. Very strange.

In Saturday's final, Denise had the best technique, timing and presentations of the dances of the four finalists and out-performed them, yet did not win. So yes, in my opinion she was robbed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I really don't get this whole 'Denise was the best dancer and so should have won' argument. There's no denying that when Denise really got a dance she performed it technically very well. But she didn't always get every dance.

- Louis' Cha Cha Cha, Salsa and Rumba were all better than Denise's. And I'm pretty sure his Samba too would've been better than hers had she attempted it.

- Their Tango, Foxtrot and Waltz were pretty much equal. As was their Showdance, although some may give the edge to Louis.

- Denise's Viennese Waltz, Jive, Paso and Charleston were better than Louis'.

And really, apart from the Jive, Louis was much closer in standard to the dances Denise did well than she was to the ones he did well. So really there wasn't all that much between them.

BTW I thought Denise came across really well on Strictly. And if Louis hadn't won it, I would've like for her to. But let's not pretend she didn't have her weak dances.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

. :D

She had very little soul in the dance and that is just as important .Technique is only half the dance , joy and soul and warmth is the other half and she failed on that side for me .
    I simply prefere watching Louis dance and therefore he was my favourite .Its really that simple .
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't get this whole 'Denise was the best dancer and so should have won' argument. There's no denying that when Denise really got a dance she performed it technically very well. But she didn't always get every dance.

- Louis' Cha Cha Cha, Salsa and Rumba were all better than Denise's. And I'm pretty sure his Samba too would've been better than hers had she attempted it.

- Their Tango, Foxtrot and Waltz were pretty much equal. As was their Showdance, although some may give the edge to Louis.

- Denise's Viennese Waltz, Jive, Paso and Charleston were better than Louis'.

And really, apart from the Jive, Louis was much closer in standard to the dances Denise did well than she was to the ones he did well. So really there wasn't all that much between them.

BTW I thought Denise came across really well on Strictly. And if Louis hadn't won it, I would've like for her to. But let's not pretend she didn't have her weak dances.

i quite agree. She did. (Come across well on SCD - to me, anyway - and also had her weak dances; thereby nullifying the 'she's a professional ringah' arguments! As I said before, if she'd been a 'professional dancer' she would have been Ola, or Natalie, or Flavia or Karen etc etc etc. She's simply someone who has a talent for dancing and has utilised it in her stage performances. But apparently, that makes her unsuitable for a dance competition. :confused: Crazy, isn't it?)

I have no issue with Flavia and Louis winning. I thought he seemed a lovely guy, who had some talent and had the obligatory 'journey' (which always helps) during the show. I was delighted for Flavia in particular. I just hope she doesn't do a Camilla and retire on the back of it. We need her back next year!

So I am not a 'Denise fan who can't get over the fact that their favourite didn't win'. At the end of the day, it was a public vote and she was in the top three. I think the lass done well.

What does get my goat is the little enclave on here who persist in demeaning 'Denise' fans (and compartmentalising them all into 'sore losers' when there isn't an ounce of truth in that), then continuing to villify Denise for no reason other than they get off on it.

It really does nothing but show those those people up for what they are.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise could dance, no doubt about it, but we preferred Louis. Unlike Denise, Louis gave us goosebumps.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bottom line, she was clearly the best dancer throughout the series...

Although I preferred Kimberley :)
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fairbloke wrote: »

That said, Denise knew on the day she would not win, because to many of the public she looked as professional as James which "did not seem fair". I am sure Louis had to put in hours & hours of practice to reach his Olympic standard in gymnastics, winning two medals. And we were all shouting for him on the day. No one said he had an unfair advantage then because he outperformed other finalists on the Pommel Horse who came away with nothing..

Apologies for snipping, but what a strange comparision to make :confused:

Louis, in his pommel horse final was competing against people he had competed against for years. They had all trained intensively for years, and they had all met the criteria needed to actually be allowed to compete in an Olympic final.

There was no plucky underdog drafted in from the Fencing team because the main man had had a freak injury. It was an Olympic final, not a Disney film - or a bit of light entertainment fluff on a Saturday night :confused:
  • Options
    Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spot on!

And as someone else pointed out, her stellar performances will have been noticed by the people who really matter in the entertainment industry.

[Love Flavia though, very pleased for her!]
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    Apologies for snipping, but what a strange comparision to make :confused:

Louis, in his pommel horse final was competing against people he had competed against for years. They had all trained intensively for years, and they had all met the criteria needed to actually be allowed to compete in an Olympic final.

There was no plucky underdog drafted in from the Fencing team because the main man had had a freak injury. It was an Olympic final, not a Disney film - or a bit of light entertainment fluff on a Saturday night :confused:

LOL, You made me laugh with the vision of the Fencing lad with his sword swirling around the pommel horse tryint to contain the sharp point !!
    But I do agree the comparison is daft .,
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    fairbloke wrote: »
    All of those judges are retired dancers. Three of them have been adjudicating, Len Goodman in particular, for many years and have to have the necessary qulifications to do so. They know everything there is to know about whatever they are judging or woulld not be allowed to do so. To imply they do not understand the technique of any of the dances they judge is both wrong and insulting.

.[/U]

Len is the only qualified judge isn`t he?

Which proves it`s all subjective as even the judges don`t agree.

Karen Hardy <who is far more qualified than Craig to judge> disagreed with his comments on numerous occasions this series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    No she wasn't - it's not just a dancing contest as we know and Louis connected with the public more than she did

I personally enjoyed watching Kimberley more than her and I think Pasha's choreography is superior to James's

Really pleased for the Flav too

All three finalists were worthy of being there
  • Options
    catkins198catkins198 Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was she the best dancer? She made mistakes in quite a few of her dances - certainly more than Louis did. The judges criticised his lack of expression but not that he made mistakes.

Even if she were the best dancer I personally found a lot of her dances pretty boring. I found myself turning to my laptop or getting up to get a drink whereas when Louis was on I was glued to the tv and, no, not because I fancy him. For me, and plenty of others, there was something about Louis, something mesmorising - I can't really explain it.

Last year I thought the same of Chelsee and she was someone who I couldn't stand before she went into Strictly. I loved watching her dance. Also felt the same about most of Kara's dances. So obviously not a sexual thing with me as I definitely don't fancy women and although I think Kara is very beautiful I certainly don't think Chelsee is.
  • Options
    PinkyPigPinkyPig Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this thread still going?? Let's all move on shall we. The final was (IMO) the best standard final we've ever seen, all 4 finalists were worthy of their places, and the GBP voted for their favourite (which for reasons I've set out previously I was happy with).

Let's all look forward to the Christmas special, and get over it!