Cat's and Christmas tree's

RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I forgot what a complete and utter nightmare a cat and a Christmas tree is :eek:

My Amber was still a kitten last year but is now 20 months old and has calmed down a lot :o however the tree has gone up and I think she is actually worse than she was last year :eek:

Tree has been up for 4 days and been knocked down twice!!

Amber may find herself shut out of the living room if this carries on :eek: :p

Comments

• sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 2 don't bother anymore, they just chase each other around it and rummage around the presents.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat is very cautious of anything that gives off a reflection or sparkles so she steers clear of the christmas tree.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Ours eats the lametta and tinsel.I'll be pulling it from her anus till Xmas is all over.Same every year for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I found a tell tale chunk of tree branch under ours this morning and a lone bauble over the other side of the room, but she knows better than to try it when we're about!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    :D We don't have a kitten this year because we have a 6 month old kitten. As lovely as she is, she would tear it down. :D We have christmas lights, which she's already tried to wreck :eek::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 8 month old kitty, totally bonkers who 'shreds' all manner of paper and card, should be fun around the tree!
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I think Amber is an indoor cat, and is the only cat in the house? Mine are indoor/outdoor cats and they completely ignore the xmas tree, it's in the room where they spend the night so it's lucky they're not bothered about it!

We got our one of our Burmese kittens the week before christmas several years ago and nearly didn't get a tree that year because we thought she'd wreck it, but she wasn't interested. She preferred bothering the other cats, they were more interactive than a static tree.:D
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    Having our new kittens has given me the perfect excuse not to put the tree up as I still feel far too miserable to be festive after being dumped in the summer.... I know my Pixie girl would be climbing it as she climbs everything- she especially loves the clothes airer and I'm always having to pick wet, crumpled clothes off the floor!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) our cat mr dudley will sneak a bauble off a branch while no-ones looking and chase it round the living room and kitchen. its so sweet we never tell him off, its not often he acts like a kitten any more :)
  • boolaaboolaa Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With both my cats I put up the Christmas tree a couple of weeks before and shake it at them hissing when they start taking too much interest in it :D
    My youngest cat Fusker is a little bugger for trying to eat any bits of tinsel on the carpet, but doesn't bother with it on the tree itself.
    Our other cat, Tadger used to somehow unravel the whole string of tinsel and I'd just find it in the middle of the floor. So after that I'd shake the tree AND use a water pistol...she quickly got the point and now neither of them bother with the tree and actually enjoy sitting under there watching the world go by :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were watching the box and during a moment when there was not much sound we all, as one, started to look toward the tree (real) and wondered why the sound of a waterfall could be heard. We all leapt to our feet and moved towards the tree to stop Oliver, the biggest of our three cats peeing on the electric cable that had the lights, switched on, attached. Oliver panicked at the sight of us rushing toward him and peed faster before running away still peeing but not on the cable any more. Instead he caught my jumper that had just fallen on the floor. We switched the lights off in time but we were just lucky Oliver was not having his last Christmas ever. We do not have a real tree any more.
  • Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Mimi. wrote: »
    :DWe don't have a kitten this year because we have a 6 month old kitten. As lovely as she is, she would tear it down. :D We have christmas lights, which she's already tried to wreck :eek::D

:confused:

I take it you mean that you don't have a tree this year!!! :p

:D
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    I think Amber is an indoor cat, and is the only cat in the house? Mine are indoor/outdoor cats and they completely ignore the xmas tree, it's in the room where they spend the night so it's lucky they're not bothered about it!

We got our one of our Burmese kittens the week before christmas several years ago and nearly didn't get a tree that year because we thought she'd wreck it, but she wasn't interested. She preferred bothering the other cats, they were more interactive than a static tree.:D

Yep Amber is a mainly indoor cat - although we let her out for a bit in the evenings for a run around!!!

She seems to be particularly taken with the fairy lights :eek: although she has the sense to only chew then when they are off (see - my girl is clever :D)

Yesterday was the first day she was home alone with the tree - it was still standing when I got in although several decorations were scattered around the place and the lights had been mainly ripped off!!

Today Amber is shut out of the living room :o
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Aw she clearly thinks it's a new toy for her, she's having fun:D You've reminded me, we used to have a cat (an oriental) who would put a lit fairy light in her mouth. She was a bit bonkers, luckily she didn't chew it, just gently held it there!

We stopped using tinsel when we got the cats as we didn't want a trip to the emergency vet to remove it from their bowels:eek:
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm terrified of ever having cats and Christmas trees together without me being around. I work with cats and the amount of stories I've heard about kittens/cats hanging themselves on the lights is too much to bear :(

Good job the dog is too old and fat to care and the rabbits don't get into the living room unless supervised XD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat has never shown any interest in our tree, he is however obsessed with a blue Tiffany's envelope which gets chased around the living room with much gusto, he has expensive tastes does my boy!
  • summer_chicksummer_chick Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one of my two spent most of last Christmas carefully removing every bauble off the tree and climbing up and down it... the other one waited until the baubles landed and then chased them around...

this year is a bit different as they are now 18 months old, and a little heavier - our tree arrived and is lying on the ground as its a little too big without a bit of saw intervention. It has been thoroughly investigated and has been deemed to be allowed in the house.. my problem is my collection of pretty fairies with real feathers which I collect each year and last year, chose not to put onto the tree .. this year I really want to put them up but not convinced... we also just got a wreath for the front door and which sweep was having a good old go at dismantling.. she'll leave it alone when its on the door... I hope !!! I expect some chaos but have got LED lights this year so the chances of them electrocuting themselves ( or us! ) are a little less ....