Options

Kitten Advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
Forum Member
I have a 13 week old kitten, and she scratches herself so hard that her skin peels off and she starts bleeding and then forms a scab which she keeps on scratching, i have cut down her claws but do you guys have any other suggestions as to why this is happening or what i can do?:confused:

any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkii wrote: »
    I have a 13 week old kitten, and she scratches herself so hard that her skin peels off and she starts bleeding and then forms a scab which she keeps on scratching, i have cut down her claws but do you guys have any other suggestions as to why this is happening or what i can do?:confused:

any advice greatly appreciated.

Best to get a vet to check that out
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flea allergy?

But agree with Tabby, you really need to take her to the vet.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Have you de-flead her (with a product from the vet) recently? If not, she just needs de-fleaing. But I agree a trip to the vet is necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeh i have de-flead her, thanks for the advice, i will definately take her to the vet cause im sure all kittens scrattch but not to the point were their skin peels off :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It could be that the flea treatment used was ineffective. Kittens should hardly scratch at all if they have been effectively treated for fleas. Good luck at the vet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pinkii wrote: »
    yeh i have de-flead her, thanks for the advice, i will definately take her to the vet cause im sure all kittens scrattch but not to the point were their skin peels off :-(

what flea treatment did you use?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i used frontline...

i forgot mention in my first post that she isnt scratching constantly like she would if she had fleas. its jus a little bit but harsh scarcthing when she does do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite a few people have reported Frontline is no longer effective, the fleas have become resistant. My vet stopped using it a few months ago, we now have Advocate.

I'm sure the vet will work out what the problem is, whether fleas or something different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frontline caused a reaction on my largest cat. He scratched his self raw under his chin. The vet said he had wet exma(cant spell it properly). One of my other cats reacted badly when i put a drop on wormer not brought from the vets though. I do use frontline now but its frontline combo as it still is on persciption where frontline isnt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh right, could it be she is allergic to Frontline? and i have also dewormed her so it could be either two? i didnt think of that.. I'll keep it in mind and discuss it with the vet, thanks maisey moo
  • Options
    OldHippy53OldHippy53 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Advocate is good-it also helps with ear mites and some worms, so saving the battles with eardrops and worm tablets:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    We are going to be using Advocate when our pup gets to 6 months, like oldhippy said it treats ear mites and some worms... =]

frontline is no longer very effective apparently...
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My lot don't have fleas so I use Front Line infrequently (evey three - four months). When we did have fleas we used Advocate, when Buffy had skin issues and had to rule out mites we used Advocate.

But there are other conditions that'll cause a cat to self mutilate. So I am glad kitty is going to the vet - good luck!!