Firefox 21 out

2»

Comments

• GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Well, it's a browser which includes an email client and other goodies, and that's related to Firefox (hence why it's also part of that forum I linked to). Both browsers are fairly similar and you would feel at home with Seamonkey (they run the same browser engine under the hood: Gecko), if you ever decided to test it out.

Seamonkey was a continuation of the Mozilla Browsing Suite, which is what Firefox itself forked from in the early 2000s (the idea being to just have a browser and cut out the bloat). Ironically, many of those who have gone "back" to Seamonkey from Firefox actually cite increasing bloat as a reason for their switch.

Anyway, all I want to say is that Seamonkey isn't that different or difficult to use. Saying that, even though I have it installed, I don't use it often except for curiosity's sake.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most odd. I have updated to 21.0 and now the wheel on my mouse doesn't scroll the pages. Continues to work fine in all other programs including Chrome.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most odd. I have updated to 21.0 and now the wheel on my mouse doesn't scroll the pages. Continues to work fine in all other programs including Chrome.

Have you checked the Browsing Options in Options > Advanced > General > Browsing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you checked the Browsing Options in Options > Advanced > General > Browsing?

Just thought of that. No change. This is most odd.
  • The_SmegThe_Smeg Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    use firefox but no update yet
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    The_Smeg wrote: »
    use firefox but no update yet

It should be there if you open Firefox , click help and About Firefox.
  • AnjomoAnjomo Posts: 284
    Forum Member

It was an add on for me.
    I had Smoothwheel installed. Removed it and mouse scrolling returned to normal.
    Unfortunately it was the only thing making two finger scrolling on my laptop touchpad work at more than snails pace, so that's screwed now.
    Smoothwheel hasn't been updated for 3 years so it's a minor miracle it worked this long.
    Back to Chrome I go :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anjomo wrote: »
    It was an add on for me.
    I had Smoothwheel installed. Removed it and mouse scrolling returned to normal.
    Unfortunately it was the only thing making two finger scrolling on my laptop touchpad work at more than snails pace, so that's screwed now.
    Smoothwheel hasn't been updated for 3 years so it's a minor miracle it worked this long.
    Back to Chrome I go :rolleyes:

For some reason didn't even think of that. Uninstalled and like you all now working fine.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why doesn't Firefox allow you to delete some plugins?

They should always be optional.

Plus I didn't allow Google to install one but they did.
    Forum Member

I think the problem with the slow touchpad might be fixed in the next version.
    Forum Member
    Why doesn't Firefox allow you to delete some plugins?

They should always be optional.

Plus I didn't allow Google to install one but they did.

You can disable individual plugins using the Addons page in your Firefox's menu (or type about:addons in the address bar). On the left-hand side you'll see a list, the bottom one will be Plugins; click it and the plugins' page will turn up. From there you can disable individual plugins or mess with preferences.
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    I think the problem with the slow touchpad might be fixed in the next version.

Yes it is fixed. Just installed Firefox 22 and it is scrolling nicely.
    Hopefully any beta bugs won't be too annoying.
    Thank you.

I need to wait for tzuk to fix the sandboxie beta bugs now.:D
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this update change the layout out all or mess up Plugins?? because I just switched to FireFox and very happy with it.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does this update change the layout out all or mess up Plugins?? because I just switched to FireFox and very happy with it.
    Nope,it looks identical.
    All of my plugins work fine :)
    Forum Member
    Yes it is fixed. Just installed Firefox 22 and it is scrolling nicely.
    Hopefully any beta bugs won't be too annoying.
    Thank you.

I need to wait for tzuk to fix the sandboxie beta bugs now.:D

Great. Be aware that you'll now be on the beta updates from now on. This means that when Firefox 22 turns up for the general public, you'll automatically switch to Firefox 23 Beta shortly afterwards. So, if you want to get off the beta track once the Firefox 22 official release turns up, then you'll need to uninstall the beta and install the official release. You might know this already and it might not be a problem for you, but thought you ought to know.
  • The_SmegThe_Smeg Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    It should be there if you open Firefox , click help and About Firefox.
    got it updated this morning, automatically
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must already have it where can i check the version? :)

Oh nvm I just went to "About FireFox" and it started to update.
    Forum Member
    I must already have it where can i check the version? :)

You can find it in the menu: Help>About Firefox

Edit: Pity I can't delete this unnecessary post. ;)
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    You might know this already and it might not be a problem for you, but thought you ought to know.

Yeah I do know, but thanks for the reminder.
    Assuming 22 beta doesn't have other bugs that scare me away, I think i'll probably check the release notes for 23 beta when it arrives and make a decision then.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firefox seems to take about 4 seconds before it starts loading a page. It's like it wants to give the illusion of being able to load everything lightning quick.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Firefox seems to take about 4 seconds before it starts loading a page. It's like it wants to give the illusion of being able to load everything lightning quick.

Not getting any delay here....
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Not getting any delay here....

Hmm... Unless it's because my laptop's got a crappy Celeron processor in it perhaps. The graphics might not be very fast either. I could be expecting too much from very little.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    nglayout.initialpaint.delay should be 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Will try.